PDA

View Full Version : I need to use Windows to apply for a job!

Ultra Magnus
October 19th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Uhgh... This is annoying! - I've applied for a job and have to now complete some online tests, only you have to have windows and IE with active X to do the test! - Luckily I kept my windows partition for just this reason, but come on, us Linux users need to get jobs as well! - I'm not going to post the email but I had to complain some where - and in the interest of me getting a job I thought I probably shouldn't send them an angry email!

Really though, what is the point!

darrenm
October 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I had to do a Citrix course online that needed IE + activeX. No Windows in sight here so I installed ies4linux and it worked great.

Ultra Magnus
October 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I used to use ies4linux but I can't seem to get it to download from the MS website

zugu
October 19th, 2007, 01:29 PM
There are two possible outcomes:

1) you don't sign up because the webdesigner sucks, and you eventually let him/her know
2) you buy a licence of Windows and proceed with the signup process

Both are obvious.
Crying here won't do any good.

Ultra Magnus
October 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
There are two possible outcomes:

1) you don't sign up because the webdesigner sucks, and you eventually let him/her know
2) you buy a licence of Windows and proceed with the signup process

Both are obvious.
Crying here won't do any good.

I know - and I've stopped crying now, I already have a windows partition - Its just a bit annoying

Dragonbite
October 19th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I'm not going to post the email but I had to complain some where - and in the interest of me getting a job I thought I probably shouldn't send them an angry email!
At least you don't send an angry email until after they don't give you the job ;) (joking), either that or you bring up that if they hire you that's one of the things you'll fix, so they can reach a pool of ALL qualified applicants without alienating them based on some foolish technological decision (does the lack of activeX also alienate Mac users?)

CaptainTux
October 19th, 2007, 03:37 PM
(does the lack of activeX also alienate Mac users?)

I am only 90% certain of my answer. To a limited extent, no.

IE for Mac does provide some support for Active X, last I heard is that it is problematic and is not updated at the current Windows level.

My data is about a year old though, so things may have improved for Active X for Mac.

Depressed Man
October 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM
You could also run a virtualbox session. I guess that's a good reason to have one (currently finding reasons to keep mine..since I also dual boot Vista on my laptop). Though I only switch to play games.

Ultra Magnus
October 19th, 2007, 03:46 PM

IE for Mac does provide some support for Active X, last I heard is that it is problematic and is not updated at the current Windows level.

My data is about a year old though, so things may have improved for Active X for Mac.

It says "We are sorry but the tests cannot be accessed from an Apple Mac or
Macintosh machine."

samuraiCat
October 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Look two posts below yours:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=577897

VirtualBox Seamless Windows

CaptainTux
October 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM
It says "We are sorry but the tests cannot be accessed from an Apple Mac or
Macintosh machine."

That is a shame. I am being serious here. I wonder if this could be seen as discriminatory practice under the US Equal Opportunity Employment Act. If I do not have Windows, I do not have the same ability to apply for a job with this company as others do.

derekr44
October 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I use VirtualBox for these reasons. For example:

1. Need Windows for corporate iPassConnect/Nortel VPN for on-call
2. Wife wants me to purchase Grey's Anatomy episodes from iTunes for her to watch

Both carry equal weight :lolflag:

rzrgenesys187
October 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I use VirtualBox for these reasons. For example:

1. Need Windows for corporate iPassConnect/Nortel VPN for on-call
2. Wife wants me to purchase Grey's Anatomy episodes from iTunes for her to watch

Both carry equal weight :lolflag:

Why not just buy the dvd's? Or are the episodes on iTunes cheaper?

CaptainTux
October 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Why not just buy the dvd's? Or are the episodes on iTunes cheaper?

The advantage is the immediacy. You can watch the episodes as soon as they are released as opposed to waiting for an entire season to release and if you own a video iPod, you can watch it on the train on your way to work.

derekr44
October 19th, 2007, 04:43 PM
She usually watches it. But when she misses one it's a must-have.

Oh well, I've hijacked the thread here.

Pierre Lourens
October 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I'd probably just go to my local library for a half hour. It's free :-P

iPower
October 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM

they removed active-x in version 5 of msie for mac (they didn't remove the active-x button in preferences)

nhydra
October 19th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Uhgh... This is annoying! - I've applied for a job and have to now complete some online tests, only you have to have windows and IE with active X to do the test! - Luckily I kept my windows partition for just this reason, but come on, us Linux users need to get jobs as well!

Really though, what is the point!
http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
Here you are the wonderful IE for linux.

Frak
October 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
(does the lack of activeX also alienate Mac users?)

I now own about 8 Mac's, 5 of which run OS X and Ubuntu (because Mac Classics are kinda lacking ;)) and this ****** me off that no matter what I use I have to bow down to a lacking company to do menial tasks.

Though, at least MS themselves are trying to stop this, with Silverlight (ports to OS X and Linux will be available when they are completed)

jaybone
October 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I'll put my two cents in for recommending ies4linux. I had to do an online examination thing with a Java applet that required ActiveX for drawing fake MS apps, and ies4linux was what actually worked for me, even more so than virtualized Windows.

Getting Java installed and running on it however is a pain. I forgot how I even did it.

n3tfury
October 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM
you can use someone else's PC or the school's or a library's....

That is a shame. I am being serious here. I wonder if this could be seen as discriminatory practice under the US Equal Opportunity Employment Act. If I do not have Windows, I do not have the same ability to apply for a job with this company as others do.

see above.

toupeiro
October 19th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Someone mentioned they had to use IE because of Citrix?? hmm.. I have an ICA client for linux with smartbadge and RSA authentication and it works fine.

derekr44
October 19th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Someone mentioned they had to use IE because of Citrix?? hmm.. I have an ICA client for linux with smartbadge and RSA authentication and it works fine.

According to the person who posted, it was actually the training course that needed ActiveX, not Citrix itself. :)