PDA

View Full Version : Computer Engineering or Science Degree?

beanzapper
October 19th, 2007, 02:26 AM
So, I'm in my last year of high school and looking into college majors. I was originally planning to enroll in an AF ROTC program, but things have changed a bit; I've decided to either get a degree in computer science or computer engineering. Computer engineering appears to be more hardware oriented vs. computer science being software oriented.

My question is, which degree would be more useful than the other farther down the road, and what can I expect from each degree in terms of careers?

-Suggestions appreciated,
beanzapper

D-EJ915
October 19th, 2007, 02:38 AM
If you want to do a ridiculous amount of circuit design or seem to love differential equations and calculus for some reason go with Computer Engineering. That being said, the coursework for engineering is definitely tougher. Careers...ah...well typically CS dudes just program whereas ECE's make chips and stuff, so whatever you fancy yourself doing then go for it. Actually making chips is a blast but to get there is very rough, engineering courses definitely weed people out.

beanzapper
October 19th, 2007, 02:50 AM
If you want to do a ridiculous amount of circuit design or seem to love differential equations and calculus for some reason go with Computer Engineering. That being said, the coursework for engineering is definitely tougher. Careers...ah...well typically CS dudes just program whereas ECE's make chips and stuff, so whatever you fancy yourself doing then go for it. Actually making chips is a blast but to get there is very rough, engineering courses definitely weed people out.
Software and program designing is what really interests me - that's the main reason I'm fooling around with Ubuntu :). It appears the CS degree is best for me...

Andrewie
November 17th, 2007, 08:43 PM
if you don't like one you can always transfer into another

happysmileman
November 17th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Don't ask in forums about it is my opinion. You have to stop and think about whether you'd prefer to work on software or hardware, and then research the courses and see if the info changes your mind (if it does you probably need to think it through more until you're more decisive).

No-one here knows what course you should do, both have good prospects and both provide skills that are very much in demand.

You can always transfer indeed but it's best to start doing the correct one so you don't have to catch up.

Earthwormzim
November 18th, 2007, 12:57 AM
That is a good question, but it really comes down to what you wanna do. I'm insanely interested in software developing, and have no interest in hardware at all (except for neat stuff I can buy for my home computer). So, I chose CS. On the other hand, I have friends that hate programming, but love planning networks and setting them up...and they say that the reason they like it is precisely because you don't have to really know or be good at programming...so guess which degree they are going for? You probably guessed CE...and you're right. So, I guess it's just a matter of what you like and don't like.

yatt
November 18th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Basically, CE is the hardware side, and CS is the software side.

If you are into networking, programming, OS design, etc CS will cover it. You will have to do some basic hardware stuff. It is unavoidable. It will improve what you are working on as the software is very dependent on the underlying hardware.

CE deals mostly with the hardware. You will learn the skills to design it, build it, then program for it. I think CE covers more of the CS degree than CS does CE. It will also carry a much more difficult course load. Your school may be different, but a CE will have half a CS degree, half a Math degree, and an Engineering degree.

You will have to check what everyone here says about the subject against your school. It could do something completely different. Regardless, it should be safe to say CE = hardware, CS = software.