PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu, xubuntu, kubuntu, gobuntu, etcbuntu

stefangachter
October 18th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Why can't all these enthusiastic developers join their forces and make one common, unified, stable, robust and reliable interface instead of releasing another branch of linux? There are thousand of different linux version out there, but ubuntu still has hundreds of tiny bugs that make the everyday use sometimes a real pain, e.g. printing, file renaming, pdf support, etc. Doing a little more "buisness" than "politics" would be nice, there is no need for a Balkanization of linux.

hyper_ch
October 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM
stefan:

You seem not to understand this concept...

One common, unified etc. distro is not the perfect choice for everyone. Everyone has different needs so different pieces of software/distros will be created... that's the freedom you have and that's the freedom the developers want to have... they have a need, so they will develop something that fills their needs...

poeticoddity
October 18th, 2007, 07:57 AM
If I'm not mistaken, there are some users who can't actually get Ubuntu to install on older computers due to system restraints, and thus resort to Xubuntu. I don't think there's really much fighting between the U/Ku/Xubuntu developers, because it's just a different desktop environment and choice of default applications.
Honestly, there's probably more of an argument for organization between those three based on bandwith usage for hosting ISOs than there is for them not devoting enough time to fixing bugs.

That being said, I can't fathom any arguments for things like religion specific versions of Ubuntu. :roll:

stefangachter
October 18th, 2007, 08:14 AM
i understand your arguments. i am happy with ubuntu as os, but as a user, I am not satisfied (yet) with an interface. i worked with xubuntu, ubuntu, and kubuntu and with each interface i had some bugs, which were not apparent in another flavor, eg. with ubuntu i could contect to a windows server, but with kubuntu not, in ubuntu i have problems with file renaming, with kubuntu it works file, etc., xubuntu is a case for itself. i am using on seven year old notebook, and yes, it's slightly slower than xubuntu, but it's fast enough for everyday work. under the hood, ubunutu is really a pleasant os , but it still lacks a robust and consistent interface that caters to the mass and not only to some developers.

TheWizzard
October 18th, 2007, 09:53 AM
eg. with ubuntu i could contect to a windows server

strange, this should be identical.

to answer your question:
- freedom is a key element in linux. this means everyone can make his own distro.
- diversity increases progress and development. as a kde user i'm very happy with gnome because it inspires kde developers.

hyper_ch
October 18th, 2007, 10:05 AM
diversity will ensure progress... the fittest distros will survive... the others will disappear...

stefangachter
October 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM
i agree... it's just that as a user, it is sometimes tiresome to be part of this evolutionary process... it's a matter of time... anyway, i am thankful to all who spend time and effort to make ubuntu become a real alternative os

hyper_ch
October 18th, 2007, 10:14 AM
if you don't want it nobody forces you to use linux...

stalker145
October 18th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Why can't all these enthusiastic developers join their forces and make one common, unified, stable, robust and reliable interface instead of releasing another branch of linux? There are thousand of different linux version out there, but ubuntu still has hundreds of tiny bugs that make the everyday use sometimes a real pain, e.g. printing, file renaming, pdf support, etc. Doing a little more "buisness" than "politics" would be nice, there is no need for a Balkanization of linux.

It's not like they're really wasting time. From my understanding, most of these "branches" are simply a base Ubuntu with some different programs, window managers, etc. If one of the branches makes an improvement to something that is in the base, everyone benefits.

So 1) you have everyone getting what they want in their chosen distribution and B) you have those distributions contributing to the improvement of the whole.

Makes sense to me...

stefangachter
October 18th, 2007, 04:35 PM
yes, nobody force me to use linux... but the message i want ot convey is that ubuntu would profit from some standardization, which would improve the usability and robustness of the interface

hyper_ch
October 18th, 2007, 04:43 PM
it is more usable and robust than vista...

stalker145
October 18th, 2007, 05:17 PM
yes, nobody force me to use linux... but the message i want ot convey is that ubuntu would profit from some standardization, which would improve the usability and robustness of the interface

The problem with that theory is that it's like telling us that we would benefit if all the auto makers suddenly merged and we had but one option in a car. There's no choice, there's no variety. It would get boring and not everyone would be happy.

At least with the branches, we have variety, everyone has the opportunity to be happy with their chosen distribution, and everyone benefits from the hard work of the programmers.

TheWizzard
October 18th, 2007, 11:39 PM

there's actually lots of standardization in linux.

the future of linux is not domination by monopoly. i'm pretty sure linux will be dominant in the future, but it'll be several linuxes. and that's good!

on the other hand, i do understand your point of view. this is exactly how i felt when i first wanted to try linux. so, stop worrying and learn to love the world of free (as in speech) software!

saxuntu
October 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
To me the only redundancy is Ubuntu and Kubuntu, yeah they are different but they are essentially the same. However thats just on the user end. From what i've heard how the project and code organization for the two is very different. X,Ed, and Go all have very legit user end reasons for being around. Xubuntu for old computers, Edbuntu for schools, and Gobuntu for philosophical purists.
I understand the argument that to much time gets wasted on redundancy, especially with over 300 distros, but there are times when theres a need for something different.

Remember the strong shall survive.

Lightstar
October 23rd, 2007, 05:31 AM
I didn't bother reading all the posts because I'm lazy like that.

I'd like to see both the __buntu CDs and a big package DVD. Keep the small __buntu versions for those that made up their minds and/or need just something specific. (like installing fluxbuntu because your computer is really really really really old)

And make a big DVD version of Ubuntu release with a few extra questions in the installation window:

1) Which Desktop Environment would you like to use? Gnome, KDE, Fluxbox..etc
( with screenshots! )

2) Do you want to specialize your system in educational softwares, designer softwares, game system.. etc

you get the idea, all the __buntu mixed together and customized to fit the user.

hyper_ch
October 23rd, 2007, 07:29 AM
Xubuntu for old computers
Xubuntu isn't only for old computers ;)