PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu without Political or Religious Affiliations

AlexJTanner
October 18th, 2007, 02:15 AM
I have noticed Ubuntu Christian Edition & Ubuntu Satanic Edition and I am disgusted. Let's base our distros on the freaking technology not our religious or political views. If one of these distros create something useful people will be put off of using it because of it's social and political affiliations. For example: I have an ATI card and Ubuntu CE devolves a driver that works better then others but I am a Nihilist so I don't want to deal with their propaganda so I end up not using it. That's not innovation! From what I have seen a lot of the Ubuntu CE stuff is just stuff to make the computer safer for young kids so instead of calling it ubuntu CE just bundle those technologies into a package and allow ubuntu users to install.

ubuntuman001
October 18th, 2007, 02:20 AM
I have noticed Ubuntu Christian Edition & Ubuntu Satanic Edition and I am disgusted. Let's base our distros on the freaking technology not our religious or political views. If one of these distros create something useful people will be put off of using it because of it's social and political affiliations. For example: I have an ATI card and Ubuntu CE devolves a driver that works better then others but I am a Nihilist so I don't want to deal with their propaganda so I end up not using it. That's not innovation! From what I have seen a lot of the Ubuntu CE stuff is just stuff to make the computer safer for young kids so instead of calling it ubuntu CE just bundle those technologies into a package and allow ubuntu users to install.I agree with you about the whole downloading a bundled package, but that still won't stop people from making these distros, as it is their choice to do so. So if it bothers you, don't worry about it, because there's not much you can do about it anyway.

If you didn't know already, these distros get permission from Canonical itself to use the ubuntu name in that context, and now there's even an ubuntu muslim edition...

jimrz
well said ... +1

CaptainTux
This is an outdated and overdone discussion that does nothing but cause division. A mod will likely come along and delete or move this thread soon...and rightly so.

If you wish to discuss the technical merits of Ubuntu CE, ME, etc...there is a section in the 3rd party portion of the forums.

I have met and gotten to know both the lead of the Christian Edition and the Muslim Edition. Good men who mean no harm and are merely offering pre installed tools for a large segment of the world's population. Both are available in an ISO OR a set of packages you can put on top of your standard Ubuntu install.

The Free Software Definition does not discriminate against field of endeavor. Pity that you do...

marco123
October 18th, 2007, 02:21 AM
I have noticed Ubuntu Christian Edition & Ubuntu Satanic Edition and I am disgusted. Let's base our distros on the freaking technology not our religious or political views. If one of these distros create something useful people will be put off of using it because of it's social and political affiliations. For example: I have an ATI card and Ubuntu CE devolves a driver that works better then others but I am a Nihilist so I don't want to deal with their propaganda so I end up not using it. That's not innovation! From what I have seen a lot of the Ubuntu CE stuff is just stuff to make the computer safer for young kids so instead of calling it ubuntu CE just bundle those technologies into a package and allow ubuntu users to install.

Chill. I think they are just tongue-in-cheek distros, I mean nobody actually worships satan or christian, /jk

n3tfury
October 18th, 2007, 02:21 AM

they're free to do what they want, so i don't see the problem. it's all about choices. if they use a better driver, it's open source, so why can't someone do the same for the distro you use?

CaptainTux
October 18th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Chill. I think they are just tongue-in-cheek distros, I mean nobody actually worships satan

You have never met my soon to be ex wife.....sigh.....

n3tfury
October 18th, 2007, 02:24 AM
an ubuntu buddhist edition would be sick

Tux Aubrey
October 18th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Freedom sometimes means people will do things you disagree with. I personally don't see any problems with Ubuntu rebuilds that focus on particular users. AFAIK none of the sectoral rebuilds has restricted my rights in any way at all, and while I'm not interested in what any of them to offer (and am frankly sick of new 'buntus cropping up for every minor variation on a default installation) I don't see why anyone except Canonical should care.

AlexJTanner
October 18th, 2007, 02:26 AM
I just don't see the reason for the split. What I mean by that is that it takes away resources from ubuntu main not on the basis of advancing the technology but for religous reasons.

p_quarles
October 18th, 2007, 02:28 AM
I just don't see the reason for the split.
What "split?" It's Ubuntu with a couple Bible study programs and, I dunno, probably an advent calendar.

Like CaptainTux said, this is an old and well-worn topic.

XVII
October 18th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I always thought of both of these editions as jokes.

CaptainTux
October 18th, 2007, 02:34 AM
I just don't see the reason for the split. What I mean by that is that it takes away resources from ubuntu main not on the basis of advancing the technology but for religous reasons.
Again, the free software definition does not restrict against field of endeavor. Wanna gear a distro for a church...have at it. Wanna gear one for an abortion clinic, have at it.

Side note...in Ubuntu CE and ME it is danguardian, some Bible Study Software, Gnucash, and Wallpaper.

My goodness...that is less divisive than your bigoted speech. They are not harming you...why get your panties up in a bunch?

AlexJTanner
October 18th, 2007, 02:34 AM
I'm just saying that instead of spending the time to create this distros they could be doing somthing better with their skills. But it's their right to do it, so I will shut up now.

CaptainTux
October 18th, 2007, 02:36 AM
I'm just saying that instead of spending the time to create this distros they could be doing somthing better with their skills. But it's their right to do it, so I will shut up now.

Cheers

original_jamingrit
October 18th, 2007, 02:43 AM
I just don't see the reason for the split.

Before everyone gets totally upset that there are different versions about ubuntu, let's look at these facts/ideas:

1. Ubuntu CE,SE,and ME are not distros of their own, just like Kubuntu and Xubuntu are not distros. They are flavours of a distro. Except for the applications that differ from the base (in this case, Ubuntu), their maintainers do not do any work on software or drivers independently. They simply add and/or reconfigure which tools and programs are installable by default. People using these special editions are still contributing to the Ubuntu (as well as the rest of the Linux) community as much as anyone else is.

2. These editions include artwork that may appeal to this special edition user's life style. A religious lifestyle is another type of lifestyle.

3. Besides artwork, they will include extra little tools and programs, such as an online bible for the christian edition. Somebody living a christian lifestyle would consider a bible to be a tool. No different than somebody reading the news or checking their horoscope online.

4. Perhaps the biggest (and I would say nicest) reason is that it makes people interested in Linux. If an ordinary software consumer who was christian, muslim, (or satanic worshipper I guess) came across linux, they would automatically not be interested, just by virtue of techy computer-stuff. Adding a little extra something that appeals to that person may be enough to "convert" another user. Which is a win for everyone.

[/wall of text]

reyfer
October 18th, 2007, 02:43 AM

You see, your first mistake was thinking of them as separate distros. The CE and ME are just Ubuntu plus some religion specific programs added, that's all. It's like I get Ubuntu, put a Spiderman theme, add preloaded links to Superman, Batman and X-Men sites, and call it "Ubuntu Super Heroes edition". The joke is people think this are separate distros.

FrozenFlame22
October 18th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Before everyone gets totally upset that there are different versions about ubuntu, let's look at these facts/ideas:

<snip>

4. Perhaps the biggest (and I would say nicest) reason is that it makes people interested in Linux. If an ordinary software consumer who was christian, muslim, (or satanic worshipper I guess) came across linux, they would automatically not be interested, just by virtue of techy computer-stuff. Adding a little extra something that appeals to that person may be enough to "convert" another user. Which is a win for everyone.

[/wall of text]

I've seen this argument many times now regarding the CE and ME, and I'm still left scratching my head. Why the heck does religion have anything to do with techie affinity? The two activities are not by any means mutually exclusive, or even distracting from one another.

I myself am a very devout Christian and I'm also a very dedicated geek. I've got spare computer parts lying all over my living room, mixed in among my lesson that I'm teaching in Sunday School this Sunday. There's also a fair number of other geeks at my church that will babble gospel doctrine with me as readily as computer code. My husband is an electrical engineer and about half my ward (what my church calls a congregation) are also engineers with the same employer. In fact many of our most active members are the engineer/geeky types. :confused:

SunnyRabbiera
October 18th, 2007, 03:10 AM
an ubuntu buddhist edition would be sick

right, as only Christians are allowed to have a OS :rolleyes:

why dont you all wait for ubuntu flying spaghetti monster edition?

CaptainTux
October 18th, 2007, 03:11 AM

why dont you all wait for ubuntu flying spaghetti monster edition?

humbug! That has NOTHING on the SpaceMonkeybuntu!

n3tfury
October 18th, 2007, 03:15 AM

i'm FOR anybody having their own distro. what are you on about? pass the pipe please.

SunnyRabbiera
October 18th, 2007, 03:58 AM
i'm FOR anybody having their own distro. what are you on about? pass the pipe please.

well your comment seemed rude, unless you meant sick in a good term

Tux Aubrey
October 18th, 2007, 03:59 AM
"why dont you all wait for ubuntu flying spaghetti monster edition?"

Link please!

Pastafarians Unite!

Which reminds me - its not just Ubuntu that has this issue, I believe - Look at dyne:bolic- it is 100% "Rasta Software". I'm not rasta myself, but I do like dyne:bolic. Each to his/her own.

n3tfury
October 18th, 2007, 04:01 AM
well your comment seemed rude, unless you meant sick in a good term

sick in a good term. ffs.

kadath
October 18th, 2007, 04:37 AM
I'm going to make Ubuntu: Cthulhu Edition. It'll feature PDFs of books filled with unspeakable horrors, and even just booting it up will result in sanity loss.

Anyway, here's a hilarious quote I ran across:

I'd be careful about networking Ubuntu Christian Edition with Ubuntu Muslim Edition. The Muslim edition will delete the /usr/ directory, and in response, the Christian edition will display a lot of American flags, and format the Muslim computers.

Lulz!

IYY
October 20th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Free software is like Free speech: everyone has the right to say anything they like, but no one has the right to force their opinions on anyone else.

So, it's your right to ignore the Christian Edition, and it's their right to use it.

What Free software ensures is that at no point will the owner of Ubuntu be able to say "From now on, Ubuntu is only available in the Christian edition", because immediately a fork will appear to make a secular version instead.

But really, I don't even see the harm of a Christian edition. Christianity is not just a religion, it's a culture and a philosophy. People who subscribe to the philosophy and identify with the culture would enjoy listening to Christian music, going to Christian community events, and use a Christian operating system. There is nothing wrong with that, just like there is nothing wrong with Gentoo and Slackware appealing to the hacker culture/philosophy and RedHat appealing to the corporate culture/philosophy.

curuxz
October 22nd, 2007, 03:25 PM

+1