PDA

View Full Version : Gutsy early release

siralphred
October 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM
It would be nice for forum member to get an early release of Gutsy Gibbon and all other future releases of ubuntu. A few hours or a day before everyone else would make members avoid the rush and also make us feel special :). To avoid people joining the forum just to take advantage of this would to limit it to people who have been members for 90days or more, thats just my thought.

LokeTheDog
October 17th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Seems to me this is basically what the beta is. Sure, some download it for bug testing, but most seem to do it just to get gutsy in advance.

thisllub
October 17th, 2007, 10:16 PM
WHat's a day anyway?

kellemes
October 17th, 2007, 10:23 PM
So basically you're asking to postpone the release of Ubuntu to the world so you can feel special?
Hope crap like this will never happen.

Kingsley
October 17th, 2007, 10:26 PM
*Testing a new app I just compiled*

It would be supa' fine fo' fo'um memba' t' git an ea'ly release uh Gutsy
Gibbon an' all oda' future releases uh ubuntu. Man! A few hours o' some damn da$
befo'e everyone else would make members avoid da damn rush an' also make us
feel special . T' avoid sucka's joinin' de fo'um plum t' snatch advantage
uh dis would t' limit it t' sucka's who gots been members fo' 90days o'
mo'e, dats plum mah' dought.

happysmileman
October 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM
So basically you're asking to postpone the release of Ubuntu to the world so you can feel special?
Hope crap like this will never happen.

Yes, but I think allowing people to upgrade a day or so before official release would be a nice beneift to existing users and take strain off servers.

zekopeko
October 17th, 2007, 10:29 PM
i think it's already final. if you have feisty i think you just need to run

update-manager -d

or something similar and it will offer you to upgrade to GG.

Rotarychainsaw
October 17th, 2007, 10:30 PM
So upgrade to gutsy. I don't think much will change between now and tomorrow.

cogadh
October 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM
There wasn't any real difference between the RC and the final version on the last two 'buntu releases (if I remember correctly), so why not get the RC now. At most, you'll just have to pull a few updates tomorrow, instead of the entire thing.

Kingsley
October 17th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Yes, but I think allowing people to upgrade a day or so before official release would be a nice beneift to existing users and take strain off servers.
Not all existin' Ubuntu users 'ave a forum account 'ere.

kellemes
October 17th, 2007, 10:35 PM

If the servers can't handle the load they have to make some upgrades. I think that's far better solution. :popcorn:
I really dislike this "join the club or be punished" attitude you see with some other distro's and projects.
Respect your opinion though.. just don't agree. :)

kelbizzle
October 17th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Yea it would be nice...But I have gutsy now.Like weeks in advance. I'm 1337! ;)

Romanus81
October 18th, 2007, 03:28 AM
It's really not like we're keeping gutsy locked up like microsoft or mac until the official release, you could have downloaded it days ago, heck, you can download it now.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/20071016/
I really think the date is just there so people know when it is available and the so that devs have a goal. Sure, you'll need to download a bunch of updates, I had to download 30 minutes worth when I installed fiesty.
No need for member benefits or anything like that, the whole idea of Ubuntu is that it is for everyone, not a select few.

Incense
October 18th, 2007, 06:09 AM
I'm sure in a couple weeks you can feel really special and upgrade to 8.04 before everyone else! They don't really hide the new releases from anyone. I just can't really see them keeping the stable GM release hidden, while they seed a buggy beta to everyone else.

southernman
October 18th, 2007, 06:44 AM
It would be nice for forum member to get an early release of Gutsy Gibbon and all other future releases of ubuntu. A few hours or a day before everyone else would make members avoid the rush and also make us feel special :). To avoid people joining the forum just to take advantage of this would to limit it to people who have been members for 90days or more, thats just my thought.
What, you didn't get the memo? That is horrible. I'd write the developers ifn' I were you!

Everyone else is just pulling your chain... we've all been using the final release for days now.

niner nine

JK, It's late and I spent 10 hours on the road today!