PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning user jobs, transcoding, and NFS storage

jakev383
October 17th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I have a working system - even survived the SD update. My master backend is a MythDora install, I have another MythDora install in the living room, and a Mythbuntu install in the bedroom. I dropped the mythtv mailing list a while back (got tired of 300+ posts a day complaining about SD).
Anyway, I also have a home server that has 1T of storage. I've already set up a NFS share on it, and have the NFS share mapped as /mnt/videos on the frontend.
I also have been manually using the Job Options -> Begin Transcoding -> Low Quality to cut the commercials and transcode my shows - that's great! A 2.2G show gets edited and shrunk down to ~500M. Love it! I run it manually to make sure the cut points are in the correct spots.
Anyway, once I'm done transcoding the show, I'd like to have it moved to my /mnt/videos folder instead of staying on the backend (only a 250G drive). I've read some about user jobs, and google'd a bit, but that only seems to confuse me more - I don't need to transcode it for my PDA, and I'm not having a problem (since I'm not using it yet) so 99.9% of the results do not apply to me. I think this whole process has to be done at once (at least, easily), so I have a bunch of shows that are ready to be transcoded and moved somewhere else.
I'd also like this to be easy for the wife to do as well - she could just select the job to be run, and then wander off. Can anyone explain it to me easily? I can handle 2-syllable words, but I'm not a perl programmer by any means - I'm like a bad comedian when it comes to perl - I know enough 1-liners to get by.
Thanks in advance everyone. Guess it may also help, but I'm running myth 0.20.2-164.

superm1
October 18th, 2007, 04:46 AM
I have a working system - even survived the SD update. My master backend is a MythDora install, I have another MythDora install in the living room, and a Mythbuntu install in the bedroom. I dropped the mythtv mailing list a while back (got tired of 300+ posts a day complaining about SD).
Anyway, I also have a home server that has 1T of storage. I've already set up a NFS share on it, and have the NFS share mapped as /mnt/videos on the frontend.
I also have been manually using the Job Options -> Begin Transcoding -> Low Quality to cut the commercials and transcode my shows - that's great! A 2.2G show gets edited and shrunk down to ~500M. Love it! I run it manually to make sure the cut points are in the correct spots.
Anyway, once I'm done transcoding the show, I'd like to have it moved to my /mnt/videos folder instead of staying on the backend (only a 250G drive). I've read some about user jobs, and google'd a bit, but that only seems to confuse me more - I don't need to transcode it for my PDA, and I'm not having a problem (since I'm not using it yet) so 99.9% of the results do not apply to me. I think this whole process has to be done at once (at least, easily), so I have a bunch of shows that are ready to be transcoded and moved somewhere else.
I'd also like this to be easy for the wife to do as well - she could just select the job to be run, and then wander off. Can anyone explain it to me easily? I can handle 2-syllable words, but I'm not a perl programmer by any means - I'm like a bad comedian when it comes to perl - I know enough 1-liners to get by.
Thanks in advance everyone. Guess it may also help, but I'm running myth 0.20.2-164.
Well personally i think this is your best bet:

After items are transcoded have a job run through and copy the file to your nfs mount. This way you can let the backend autoexpire the file at your leisure and not need to muck with mysql database deleting and such.

jakev383
October 18th, 2007, 12:22 PM
That sounds like a great idea - I was thinking of having it copy them to the NFS share, then I would have to delete the from the regular list or let them expire.
I'm just a little confused as to where I would put the script, and how I would get it to run. Can you offer some light on that subject? Would I write a script and run it as a User Job? I'm trying to get VNC or vino working on my backend now, since it is headless and it's a paint to drag a monitor over there to work locally.
Thanks for the reply!

superm1
October 18th, 2007, 05:42 PM
You'll pop it in /usr/local/bin. Mark it executable with chmod +x. It then needs to be enabled as a user job.

Mythbuntu provides an option for VNC in the control centre and during installation. Alternatively you can X forward mythtv-setup.