PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Talk

yabbadabbadont
October 14th, 2007, 10:30 PM
well, no one has a 15" anymore! ;)

I thought of that, but for the most part, I'm not too concerned because, now not joking, the majority of people would fit it nowadays!

I tested it with 17", and mines 19", and they're fine, so... :p

1024x768 is the "native" resolution of a 17" CRT. ;) (at least it is for a Samsung SyncMaster 700s)

ryanVickers
October 15th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Oh dear - that's pathetic :p

that's the default (standard 72 dpi) for 15" monitors - a 17" uses 1152x864 or something like that. I've seen 17" using 1280x1024 or close to it, and that's above standard quality, but what you've said, 1024x768 for a 17" is less than normal - never heard of it ever! :p

WAIT!! STOP THE PRESSES! ;)

I just googled it - it's a CRT, never mind everything I said :p

And I just saw you already said that ;)

Ok then, that was stupid of me :p

yabbadabbadont
October 15th, 2007, 12:35 AM
:D

Hey, if you've got an old 17" LCD lying around, feel free to ship it me. I'd be glad to give it a nice home. ;)

ryanVickers
October 15th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I actually do have an old CRT, don't remember the size, probably was 17", bit it could go up to 1920xsomehting, so I'm keeping it! :p

yabbadabbadont
October 15th, 2007, 12:42 AM
This one will actually go higher, but only if the refresh rate is dropped to 60Hz. At 1024x768 it runs at 75Hz. It will go higher than 75 at that resolution, but then it gets flakey. As it is, it flickers terribly until it warms up. :( It is probably the first thing that I will replace once I find a new job.

ryanVickers
October 15th, 2007, 12:44 AM
yeah, I've always liked them for (if it's a good quality one) the fact that the resolutoin can be so dynamic without looking distorted, but LCD has so many other advantages.

By the way, like my new avatar? :p It's temporary - for Halloween you know, but... ;)

yabbadabbadont
October 15th, 2007, 01:08 AM
By the way, like my new avatar? :p It's temporary - for Halloween you know, but... ;)

Very nice. I can almost hear him saying, "Braiiiiiinnnnnssss" :lol:

ryanVickers
October 15th, 2007, 01:09 AM
no, no, no, he's saying "Low dpi CRT!!!!" :lolflag:

yabbadabbadont
October 15th, 2007, 01:13 AM
no, no, no, he's saying "Low dpi CRT!!!!"

Actually, it is 84x84 DPI, so not too bad. Any smaller and I'd have trouble seeing it anyway.

ryanVickers
October 16th, 2007, 12:51 AM
then the "native" resolution should be higher ;). You may not like it, but for a 72dpi screen, 17" is much more than 1024x768, so even though you may like it like that, it's native, not max, but native should be around ~1200xsomehting!!! ](*,)

yabbadabbadont
October 16th, 2007, 01:26 AM
then the "native" resolution should be higher ;). You may not like it, but for a 72dpi screen, 17" is much more than 1024x768, so even though you may like it like that, it's native, not max, but native should be around ~1200xsomehting!!! ](*,)

Gee, I guess the people at Samsung who wrote the manual that came with the monitor, and at which I am currently looking, didn't have a clue when they listed the recommended resolution...

ryanVickers
October 16th, 2007, 02:14 AM
well, thing change... I have a SyncMaster 940BF and it's great! ;)

ryanVickers
October 16th, 2007, 03:31 AM
hey, have you seen where this just got moved - "Monitor talk"! :lolflag:
Do they just have a category for every possible phrase on earth?! :p

ryanVickers
October 16th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I just had a thought - although the native resolution should be ~1200xsomething, perhaps they were taking into account the fact that it flickers horribly at anything higher! :p

yabbadabbadont
October 16th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I think that you are forgetting that a 17" CRT only has 15" of viewable space. ;)

ryanVickers
October 16th, 2007, 11:42 PM
but still, if its 84 dpi!, then it would still use something around a 17" LCD resolution... ](*,)

yabbadabbadont
October 16th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Max res is 1280x1024@60Hz.

ryanVickers
October 17th, 2007, 12:01 AM
That sounds about right - that's what mine is, but it's a normal (72) dpi 19" LCD ;)

edit: well, it can also go up to 75Hz though...

TeaSwigger
October 18th, 2007, 09:36 AM
/drops by/

Hey, if you've got an old 17" LCD lying around, feel free to ship it me. I'd be glad to give it a nice home. ;)

Oh yeah me too! Anyone? No kidding, I'm stuck with 1024x768 max here on both my old monitors, and the LCD, also 1024x, has flaked out.

Wouldn't mind an old memory stick or something either... Say anyone have ideas or experience to give some suggestions where one might go a-looking for old cast-off PC stuff? I'm on a shoestring these days, unfortunately.

I think that you are forgetting that a 17" CRT only has 15" of viewable space. ;)

Besides being an audiophile, back before that would be heard as "audio file" or worse, I was also a video nut. I do appreciate the advantages of LCD, but CRT has definite, if often less appreciated advantages. Assuming of course that we're comparing units of comparable quality, despite the vast advances made in LCD, the old CRT can offer appreciable superiority in four areas:

1) Spacial perception. A CRT can offer a greater realism at rendering the illusion of depth in the image and dimensionality of objects, particularly in moving images.
2) Fluidity of texture, again particularly in moving images.
3) Contrast ratio. LCD's made leaps and bounds, but it's not CRT scale. And CRT isn't near film scale, but that's too o/t...
4) Complex colors. More colors, and taken together with the above points can make for better flesh tones for instance - but only if the CRT monitor is properly calibrated, of good quality and at the proper color temperature of 6500.

Anyway the reason for rambling on about CRT is that while points in favor of the LCD are at least as substantial, the CRT can often be under-rated and under-appreciated. You don't see as much said in their favor, what with LCD being the new wave. But here I am with two cheap old CRTs that have long outlived the LCD the certain well-known PC brand told me would be more reliable and durable... as usual reality doesn't fit the silly human moulds.

yabbadabbadont
October 18th, 2007, 09:52 AM
If I ever find another coding job, I'm going to look into getting a professional quality 19" or 21" CRT. I'll also pick up a hardware calibrator like the Spyder or similar. Eventually, a DSLR, either Nikon or Canon. I like my current low end Nikon, but my brother-in-law is a Canon nut and has all the cool lenses and such. (and he upgrades fairly often ;))

ryanVickers
December 3rd, 2007, 12:22 AM
Well, if your still watching this thread, I'd like to say i got up that old CRT of mine from the basement and plugged it (along with all my other peripherals and speakers :p) in to a P3 644Mhz laptop from work, and I always liked it, but now I remember why - I'm running at full/all colours, 1280x1024 resolution at 75Hz with no flickering! :D, and it's ~16 to ~18" viewable... somewhere in there ;)

Blutack
December 3rd, 2007, 12:25 AM
CRT's kick *** - I pulled one out of a skip where it was being rained on for 3 weeks and it now forms one half of my mythbox, the other half being the tiny pc I also hauled out of a skip...

Blutack
December 3rd, 2007, 12:25 AM
*** is blocked? oops.

yabbadabbadont
December 3rd, 2007, 03:05 AM
I've got the old 17" CRT in a medically induced coma at the moment. (It's in a box in a closet ;)) Usually, it would stop flickering after it would warm up, but it finally got to the point that it wouldn't stop. I've got a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 932B LCD now. It's a nice unit and will do nicely until I can afford to get a professional grade CRT. (Which run to thousands (plural) of dollars)

-grubby
December 3rd, 2007, 03:07 AM
well currently using my 17' CRT at 1024X768 @ 85HZ, at the highest res (1280x1024) it drops to 60 HZ and that hurts my eyes
EDIT: I don't think this helps people much though...

Lostincyberspace
December 3rd, 2007, 04:01 AM
My 20 inch I got for free is at 1600*1200 85HZ I dont know the brand the front has been replaced it it is wrong and uses generic models for drivers.

klange
December 3rd, 2007, 04:07 AM
I'm still trying to fix my 1280x1024 LCD so I can use it on my old box which is running as a server right now (it doesn't serve much so I think it's safe to run it as a desktop once I get a better graphics card in it) The backlight doesn't always work correctly... Also need a really long CAT5 if I plan on sticking with wired ethernet...
My parents' Windoze machine uses a 1440x900 LCD that looks like CRAP. It's got grain and static out the wazzoo and it doesn't help that the machine only has a VGA out and the monitor almost demands DVI.
My laptop has a 15.4" 1280x800 and my other, virus'd up Windoze machine (ok, it's not technically mine. If it were, it would be running Ubuntu quite nicely, I occasionally throw my Ultimate USB Stick in there to test it out) uses a 1280x800 CRT. 17" I do believe.

I still remember this old one-piece 800x600 Compaq I once had (it's old for me)

ryanVickers
December 3rd, 2007, 04:10 AM
My 20 inch I got for free is at 1600*1200 85HZ I dont know the brand the front has been replaced it it is wrong and uses generic models for drivers.

nice! :D

are you sure it isn't flickering? If you can't tell (for some people its hard) open your eyes really wide and just see it in your peripheral vision out of the corner of your eye (I'm not sure why this helps... :p)

-grubby
December 3rd, 2007, 04:15 AM
here's a poll I just made about it: POLL LINK (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=629995)