PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Google

drpepper
October 15th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Hey Guys

This post might be a little off topic, but I thought people here might appreciate why I'm concerned. Its a well known fact that Google collects personal information about its users. What we don't know, is what exactly they do with it. Who gets to see it? By law, in the UK anyway, we are entitled to see ALL of out own personal information because of the Data Protection Act. Anyhow, I was wandering around the Google page, and came across the Web History section. I don't know if this is new or was implemented a long while ago, but it was unsettling. For those who are unaware, the Google web history section stores every single search you put into Google, and the page you visited from that search. There was a 10month list on my web history. I hate the fact that Google and whoever else THEY allow, not us, can view the data. I was just wondering what people thought of this? And can anyone suggest any other search engines?

Thanks Guys

aks44
October 15th, 2007, 09:27 PM
can anyone suggest any other search engines?

clusty.com (http://clusty.com)

Also, if you *must* use google, disable cookies...

drpepper
October 15th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I'm currently using the iGoogle thing as my homepage as its convenient. But I decided just to make my own, its only RSS feeds for info and links to email. Clusty looks good, thanks aks44 :)

aks44
October 15th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I'm currently using the iGoogle thing as my homepage as its convenient. But I decided just to make my own, its only RSS feeds for info and links to email.

netvibes.com (http://www.netvibes.com/)? :p

x0as
October 15th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I turned web history off a while ago, I'd rather not have my searches available.

tbroderick
October 15th, 2007, 10:02 PM
What you want is black box search.

http://www.blackboxsearch.com/

Disabling cookies are good, but the search page will still log some info (ip, date and time, language, browser, etc). Searching through proxy is the way to go.

drpepper
October 15th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I've had firefox ask me what to do with cookies for a while. It works quite well and I clear my history etc regular but this still doesn't help with data on their side, ah well. Black box seems good too, gonna give them a go for a while and then decide. Netvibes is good but seems a bit overkill, lol. Still worth a go tho!

Cheers Guys

n3tfury
October 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM
netvibes.com (http://www.netvibes.com/)? :p

i've been using netvibes for almost two years and i cannot live without it. no, seriously.

Kingsley
October 15th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I don't care. There's nothing I've got to hide.

reyfer
October 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Hey Guys

This post might be a little off topic, but I thought people here might appreciate why I'm concerned. Its a well known fact that Google collects personal information about its users. What we don't know, is what exactly they do with it. Who gets to see it? By law, in the UK anyway, we are entitled to see ALL of out own personal information because of the Data Protection Act. Anyhow, I was wandering around the Google page, and came across the Web History section. I don't know if this is new or was implemented a long while ago, but it was unsettling. For those who are unaware, the Google web history section stores every single search you put into Google, and the page you visited from that search. There was a 10month list on my web history. I hate the fact that Google and whoever else THEY allow, not us, can view the data. I was just wondering what people thought of this? And can anyone suggest any other search engines?

Thanks Guys

You know you can delete and disable your Web History, right?

Depressed Man
October 15th, 2007, 10:38 PM
If your using Firefox you can use the Customize Google extension.

Taino
October 15th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I hate the fact that Google and whoever else THEY allow, not us, can view the data.

Well ya know if you would stop searching on how to make thermo nuclear devices you wouldnt have anything to worry about. :KS

hah kidding :) hmm you can use those other alternate search engines that offer more privacy or use a proxy server and also look into hiding your identity online, its funny because to learn about that you'd have to use a search engine... hehe.

:popcorn:

drpepper
October 16th, 2007, 12:33 AM
You can delete and disable it yes, but Google still collect and keep the data anyway, check the T&C. Taino, I came across that too! lol. Been using clusty tonight and its been going well. Gonna have a play with netvibes tomorrow!

LookTJ
October 16th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I turned web history off a while ago, I'd rather not have my searches available.I turned it off almost 8 months cause I didn't like having my searches open to the public.