PDA

View Full Version : Documents / spreadsheets to go: what solutions are out there?

Homoludens1000
October 15th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Hi everyone:

I would like to get an overview what kind of solutions are out there for storing documents & spreadsheets in a mobile device. I'm mainly interested in synchronizing with a Palm PDA (since I'm owning one), but if there are other devices that work easier, I'd be willing to ditch the Palm and switch to something else ... Tongue

If you have a working solution, please be so kind to include in your post:

DESKTOP OPERATING SYSTEM (VERSION?): (e.g. Kubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu 7.02, Windows XP Pro, etc.)

DESKTOP DOCS/SPREADSHEET APPLICATION (VERSION?): (e.g. OpenOffice 2.3)

PDA MODEL (OS?): (e.g. Tungsten T2 with PalmOS 5.2)

PDA DOCS/SPREADSHEET APPLICATION (VERSION?): (e.g. Dataviz Documents to Go version 8 )

odzk
October 17th, 2007, 07:44 AM
im not really sure what u mean but

maybe this will help

im using a Nokia 7710 (symbian series 90) mobile pda to write and edit docs / excel files. When i send it to my pc using bluetooth, it converts the file automatically to .doc before it reaches my pc, and when i send it to my phone from pc, phone converts the .doc file first before the word processor opens.

I think its same thing with palm OS.

Homoludens1000
October 18th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks, yes, that's precisely the kind of information I'm looking for.

I'm sure there is always some sort of file conversion involved when transferring a file from PC to PDA or vice versa. For example, I used to sync docs/spreadsheets between WindowsXP and a Sony Clie TJ25. The synchronizing program was Dataviz's "Documents to Go", and before transfering MS Office .doc or .xls files to the PDA, it would convert it into its own format (and back to .doc/.xls when downloading files). Unfortunately, Dataviz doesn't recognize the .xls files created by OpenOffice, so when I switched to it I couldn't synchronize my spreadsheets directly any longer.

Homoludens1000
October 26th, 2007, 01:09 AM
The post has been up for quite a few days, and I'm surprised that there are so few responses.

Is nobody using Ubuntu in conjunction with a PDA??

If you do use one, please be so kind to post your solution!

veloce
November 23rd, 2007, 03:42 AM
I'm watching this thread with interest, waiting for responses as well. I don't think there is a solution but really hope someone posts a nice link to a linux "documents to go" to openoffice converter!

earlycj5
November 26th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Unless I was imagining things OOo has a built-in converter for PDA documents.

It's an option when installing, though maybe it's just a Windows thing?

kencaudill
April 15th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Has anyone tried the Addition4Palm program which is supposed to be able to sync with Linux? I tried it and it is a very nice spreadsheet for the Palm but I could not get the Java based conduit to install on Ubuntu. Anybody able to help?