PDA

View Full Version : Programs for saving / storing web clippings

Homoludens1000
October 15th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone:

I'm looking for a good solution for clipping parts of internet pages. Ideally, I would like to: (a) have those clippings annotated (ie when clipped, and from what URL); and (b) store them locally on my computer as regular html files (so that I can browse easily without having to open the program, and so that they are catalogued by my desktop search program.

So far, I have been using NetSnippets under WinXP, which is was great program. Unfortunately, it's not updated any longer, and it's not available for Linux. Also, it doesn't integrate into Firefox too well (eg it doesn't use the sidebar).

I've looked at the ScrapBook extension for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/427); it's very convenient and does annotate clippings, but unfortunately it uses its own format for storing / organizing the clippings.

Are the other, similar addons for Firefox out there that I haven't come across yet? Or can someone recommend a program that works well for clipping web snippets?

Cheers.

akniss
October 16th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Try Google Notebook (http://www.google.com/googlenotebook/faq.html).

earobinson
October 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM
+1 for the google notebook

Homoludens1000
October 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm aware that there are lots of programs out there that store web clippings online & enable sharing them with others like Google Notebook or the Clipmarks / Notefish plugins for Firefox, but I'm actually looking for a solution that stores them offline/ locally on my computer. Ideally, that should be some form of html document.

NetSnippets, the WinXP program I've been using so far creates html documents from the snippets plus xml files for the annotations (the url, date taken, own comments, keywords, etc.). The html format makes it easy to browse the snippets through Windows Explorer; when using the NetSnippets browser (in IExplorer, that's a side-bar, in Firefox it's a separate window), it displays the annotations in a frame on the bottom of the page. Also has some nice functions for exporting snippets, eg by creating "reports" from selected snippets.