PDA

View Full Version : launchpad's software

nickburns
October 15th, 2007, 03:55 AM
I want to set up launchpad.net's software for my own. Do they use a open source software? Is it available to all? I looked on their web page but don't see an answer...

a little help?

bikeboy
October 15th, 2007, 04:04 AM
It's mostly non-free (at this stage), the Wikipedia page is probably the easiest place to look, but I don't know whether it's right or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchpad_(website)

nickburns
October 15th, 2007, 07:18 AM
This is a sad day, what happed to the open source spirit? Has Canonical lost vision? I don't understand why their bug tracking / project management software is not free.

What is Canonical thinking?

Polygon
October 15th, 2007, 07:22 AM
they have a reason, too lazy to go look up. they open sourced some of the code backend (python storm), and their excuse is that its not ready to be open sourced and they are planning to...in the future.

cogadh
October 15th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I think this explains it.

Is Launchpad Free Software/open source? If not, why not?

Like Sourceforge and Google Code Hosting, Launchpad is not open source. Unlike those other services, we have committed to making Launchpad Free Software.

Launchpad exists not just to make development easier within projects, but also to encourage collaboration between projects. With Launchpad, distributors and upstream developers can share bug reports, translations, and code. Until there are standards and APIs that let standalone sites send these things to each other, having a single Launchpad instance is the most practical way of maximizing the collaboration that Launchpad is designed to achieve. It also helps in funding Launchpad development in the short term.

We have released the code for CSCVS, which Launchpad uses to mirror CVS/Subversion trees to Bazaar. We also make many contributions to other Free Software components we use, including Zope, Bazaar, SQLObject, and Twisted.