PDA

View Full Version : Matlab-like working environment

iopo
October 12th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Hi everybody,

I want to get rid of Matlab and start using some of its free equivalent. What I really like about Matlab is the working environment: you have you variables on one side, the command history on the other, you can easily switch between inserting commands line by line or writing a whole program, it has a very useful debugger. Since I'm not very good at programming (I just do it once in a while) they are important featiures for me.

I found some discussions about how octave, numpy, sage,.. work but very few about how they look! I also know that you can pick different interface for each of those programs. I tried koctave and ipython. They are nice but I found they don't add much compared to the basic command line.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

slimdog360
October 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Hmm, so you want something that looks and acts exactly like matlab, but not matlab. Try again.

eddin
October 14th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I am trying to replace matlab with the following software combo:
python (the programming language) + numpy (the array handling module)+ scipy (the scientific calculation module) + spe (the editor)

crispus
October 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Have you looked at koctave?

http://athlone.ath.cx/~matti/kde/koctave/

iopo
October 15th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Hi Guys!
thanks a lot for the replies! I tried Koctave but I thought it was a bit too basic. Instead SPE looks like what I was looking for! I'll definitlely install it and play around with it for a bit.
Thanks again!

Wuhulf
October 18th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Try scilab.

harishg
October 24th, 2007, 02:03 AM
You can run octave from inside emacs and this can be powerful assuming you have some knowledge of emacs.