PDA

View Full Version : Emacs + cscope (xcscope.el)

iakie
October 11th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Hi there:

Can anyone give me some tips on using cscope and emacs?

I was able to load xcscope.el from cscope package. However, whenever i tries to use it, it says it finds nothing.

I edited my .emacs like this:

(load-file "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/xcscope.el")
(require 'xcscope)

Then, I untar-ed linux kernel in my home folder, under which I ran cscope to generate search database. And I tried to edit some files

me@box:~/linux-source-2.6.22$ cscope -R -q -b
me@box:~/linux-source-2.6.22$ emacs kernel/time.c

When I tried to find symbol definition using C-c s d, it returns no matched result

Finding symbol: tv_nsec

Database directory: /home/me/linux-source-2.6.22/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cscope: no source files found

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search complete. Search time = 0.01 seconds.

Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

tuxfan123
December 6th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Hi,

I am also facing the same problem mentioned by you in this post. Please let me know if you were able to solve this.

Thanks
TuxFan

tuxfan123
December 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I was able to solve this problem by adding the following lines in the emacs startup file, .emacs. although I am not sure how it solved the problem.

(setq cscope-do-not-update-database t)
(require 'xcscope)

Cheers
TuxFan

李尔杰
August 21st, 2008, 03:16 AM
But I think it is because you didn't use abs path s to make the cscope database. Then when you lingered to other directories it can't find appropriate definitions.

mkokotovich
January 16th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I'm guessing no one cares anymore, but in case someone stumbles upon this while searching (like I did) here is what worked for me:

Like suggested, put

(require 'xcscope)
in your .emacs file.

Then, if you have code in ~/mycode, cd to that directory and run

myusernam@mycomputer:~/mycode$ cscope-indexer -r
That should generate the required files. Then you can just open any file in emacs and cscope should work.

mwatt
March 9th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Well I care mkokotovich. Thanks for your post. That just solved the problem for me, specifically using the command cscope-indexer to generate the index rather than just running cscope itself.

aijazbaig1
March 16th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Having faced a similar ordeal, I tried the suggestions in this thread by changing my .emacs file to include

After having done that, as mkokotovich suggested, I tried to run the cscope-indexer on the top level directory of my src tree.

It gave me:

/usr/bin/cscope-indexer: line 142: cscope.files: No such file or directory
Finally I opened a sample file and ran

cscope-find-this-symbol
which gave me the list of all places that has that symbol (defined or declared or used). I chose a sample line and pressed return hoping cscope would take me to the relevant src file. But instead I got:

path to file is not readable or exists
Additionally, to be specific I am trying to create a database of the linux kernel src tree. As a test I opened the file /include/linux/skbuff.h and then searched for the symbol sk_buff which is declared in the file. It gives me a long list of all the files containing that symbol. On clicking one of the entries in the list I get the following

/usr/src/linux/include/linux/include/linux/skbuff.h does not exist or is not readable
Closely examine the line above. The substring in bold face is something that seems to have come from nowhere. The actual path is /usr/src/linux/include/linux/skbuff.h so there must be something wrong in the set up of cscope here.

Kindly let me know what mistake am I doing.

Regards,
Aijaz

mkokotovich
March 16th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Let's handle one problem at a time here. First, cscope-indexer. That shouldn't be spitting out any errors like that. Can you describe exactly how you ran it? (i.e. which directory you were in, who you were logged in as, what arguments you supplied, etc)

Then, if you want to open /usr/bin/cscope-indexer in a text editor (it is a script) and copy and paste lines 130-150 into your reply. Hopefully we can figure out why it is failing.

aijazbaig1
March 17th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Hello people,

@mkokotovich:

Can you describe exactly how you ran it? (i.e. which directory you were in, who you were logged in as, what arguments you supplied, etc)
I was in the top level directory of my linux kernel source tree where I ran the cscope-indexer in a shell as a super user. The way I ran it was exactly like what you mentioned in your last post. Like so
/usr/bin/cscope-indexer -r

Well I didn't knew it is a script. Nonetheless, now my cscope seems to be working for some strange reason. Well I would try opening the script in an editor and see whats inside.

Then, if you want to open /usr/bin/cscope-indexer in a text editor (it is a script) and copy and paste lines 130-150 into your reply.
Do you mean I should first run the indexer like before and then if it fails I should copy those lines (so you can see the arguments and other variables it might have been working on)?

Keen to hear from you,

yotam
March 17th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I am using 'ascope.el' (627 lines) written by Staton Sun
that I got from him sunnycamel-AT-gmail-DOT-com.
It works fine form me. I wish I could attach it here.

mkokotovich
March 17th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Do you mean I should first run the indexer like before and then if it fails I should copy those lines (so you can see the arguments and other variables it might have been working on)?

Yeah, I was trying to see where in the script it was failing. If you cscope is working now though, it isn't that important anymore :)

post4pavan
September 27th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Hi, Can you guide me, how to configure cscope in emacs, right from the beginning.

yotam
September 28th, 2011, 07:42 AM
May I suggest trying ascope.el (attached gz-zipped)
by Staton Sun <sunnycamel AT gmail DOT com>.

post4pavan
December 7th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Thank You Yotam!!!!

Yeah Yes!

You can try any lisp package.

It can be cscope, xcscope, and xcscope+ also can be used......:popcorn: