PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who thinks XFCE rocks?

aysiu
August 16th, 2005, 05:56 AM
First I liked KDE.
Then, I liked Gnome.
I liked Gnome for quite a while.
Recently, I've been playing around with XFCE, and I have to say XFCE is awesome. Any other XFCE fans out there? What do you like about it?

gorkhal
August 16th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Used XFCE for a while, but too much hassle in getting desktop icons, and a few other things, but it is definitely fast.

So went back to GNOME, then everything wasnt fast but it was easy and comfortable.

I like comfortable :smile:

aysiu
August 16th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought at first, too.

Then, I realized I never use my desktop icons.

Note to self: Check out this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-41635.html) later.

poofyhairguy
August 16th, 2005, 06:25 AM
What do you like about it?

A: Its fast.

B: I can make it look just like gnome.

C: the mouse!

mctavish
August 16th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Am I the only one who thinks XFCE rocks?

Certainly not. Xfce4 goes off like a frog in a sock.

Its fast, tight and simple, yet usable and good looking.

Its no coincidence that Xfce4 is the official desktop environment of the Sontaran Fleet.

Brunellus
August 16th, 2005, 07:29 AM
First I liked KDE.
Then, I liked Gnome.
Recently, I've been playing around with XFCE, and I have to say XFCE is awesome. Any other XFCE fans out there? What do you like about it?
XFCE is great. But now that I have enough hardware to run gnome properly, I'm giving gnome an extended look.

H'mm. I wonder. Gdesklets in XFCE....that's a thought....

poofyhairguy
August 16th, 2005, 07:33 AM
XFCE is great. But now that I have enough hardware to run gnome properly, I'm giving gnome an extended look.

Enough RAM you mean....thats the big difference in my opinion.

Brunellus
August 16th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Enough RAM you mean....thats the big difference in my opinion.
yeah, ram. Gnome 2.10 runs happily on 512 mb of ram, and grumpily on fewer. At 256 MB, I was runing XFCE; if I had anything smaller, I'd run Fluxbox.

poofyhairguy
August 16th, 2005, 07:45 AM
yeah, ram. Gnome 2.10 runs happily on 512 mb of ram, and grumpily on fewer. At 256 MB, I was runing XFCE; if I had anything smaller, I'd run Fluxbox.

At 512MB, a 500mhz CPU works for Gnome. Metacity eats ram like a fat kid eats cake at a birthday party.

izmaelis
August 16th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought at first, too.

Then, I realized I never use my desktop icons.
I use my desktop icons quite often and having 1GB of RAM on my system lets me use Gnome. I don't think that using some lightweight environment would improve performance a lot.

aerials
August 16th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I have used XFCE for quite a while, but then I got tired of searching all those nice helper applications which you got under system in gnome and creating new menu entries for all the new applications I installed.
It felt just very bad integrated in the whole ubuntu environment, so I switched back to gnome at last.

I still have it running which is more or less a server and I only need two or three apps there anyway, so it's perfect in that way.

cowlip
August 16th, 2005, 09:06 AM
First I liked KDE.
Then, I liked Gnome.
It's just too lite, you know? You can't bake cookies with low fat margarine!

Ampersand
August 16th, 2005, 09:33 AM
I've started using it recently. I find Xfmedia quite good, although I'd prefer it if it could be controlled from the console (or had better documentation). The weather icon also seems slightly better than the Gnome one, giving forcasts in the UK.

Does anyone else have most of the items in the main menu listed twice?

macgyver2
August 16th, 2005, 04:03 PM
First I liked KDE.
Then, I liked Gnome.
I used XFCE for almost two years before I switched distros to Ubuntu. Right now I've got Gnome because I'm keeping my installation close to the default...I'll probably go back to XFCE eventually. I like it far more than Gnome, though Gnome is also good.

rolfotto
August 16th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I like Gnome better for my faster desktops but use different distro (one of the small distros) with XFCE on it for an old P233 Notebook.

It's pretty nice - it could use a few things to increase productivity while not bloating it up to much - like an easier way to add/subtract icons and such shouldn't add to much fat than editing those files by hand.

I'd run it on anything with less than 450mhz chip.

xequence
August 16th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I love it, though there a couple gripes. BUt they are simple. I am gonna post a thread to find the answer later... After I google it.

Its really fast, looks great, and has a really nice processor monitor thing built in. Just change the minimize and X buttons to the mac look and get the OSX background and it looks sort of like a mac :P

jdodson
August 16th, 2005, 06:14 PM
XFCE is cool **** but....

Well it seemed I could get things done faster in Gnome. Perhaps its because I know Gnome well. Perhaps its because I am becoming an old crusty freak who hates change. Who knows, but XFCE is cool ****.

KingBahamut
August 16th, 2005, 06:52 PM
First I liked KDE.
Then, I liked Gnome.

Aysiu, Ive always loved XFCE, it was the first I ran with, long before I ever touched Gnome or KDE.

Fast, quick, configurable, and comforting.

Id thought of trying OpenBox , just to see what it was like.

gorkhal
August 16th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I've started using it recently. I find Xfmedia quite good, although I'd prefer it if it could be controlled from the console (or had better documentation). The weather icon also seems slightly better than the Gnome one, giving forcasts in the UK.

Does anyone else have most of the items in the main menu listed twice?

I had a similar problem with XFCE, some of my menu items went kaput, vanished!!!

I realize I could fix this and a host of other issues as they came by, but that's the point exactly, why spend the time to fix something when GNOME and METACITY already have it up and running.

Of course if your on a memory starved computer, XFCE is most likely the better alternative. I run GNOME on 368 MB, apps take a while to load, but smooth sailing rest of the way.

aysiu
October 25th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Okay. I'm back on XFCE. I did this weird bopping around thing for a while. I started with KDE, moved to Gnome, moved to XFCE, back to Gnome, back to KDE, back to Gnome, and then again to XFCE.

I gave up on XFCE for a while because it seemed a bit too minimalist, but I'm slowly learning how to get things to work on XFCE, and it's fun. It's also super-fast--I like that.

23meg
October 25th, 2005, 09:00 PM
In terms of general look and feel, I find XFCE to be the best of the bunch. I'm giving serious thought to completely transitioning to it to get slightly better 2D performance, because Gnome just doesn't feel snappy enough even with my very recent Nvidia hardware.

Stormy Eyes
October 25th, 2005, 09:05 PM
XFCE is nice, but I hate the themes that come with XFwm, and google doesn't seem to turn up any new themes. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to replace XFCE's window mangler with Openbox.

23meg
October 25th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Stormy, did you check this out? --> http://www.xfce-look.org

poofyhairguy
October 25th, 2005, 09:12 PM
One day when the XFCE compositor is stable I will switch. Till that day its existance gets in my way, so I stick with Gnome.

Kelvin
October 25th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks to a hint from Poofyhairguy, I'm using XFCE4 on a 366MHz Clamshell iBook, and very happy with it.

On old hardware it adds a combination of zing! and functionality that can't (easily) be beat.

I'd recommend it to any user of glacial hardware. :p

ecobuntu
October 25th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I love XFCE4. I can't wait till Xubuntu is finally released! Goodbye GNOME and KDE, hello XFCE4!
The only thing I miss about GNOME, is that I actually do like the ugly default "human" brown. Hmm...Perhaps I can get that in XFCE4?
Anyways I look forward to being to get Xubuntu the way you now get Ubuntu and Kubuntu.
cheers!

Stormy Eyes
October 25th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Stormy, did you check this out? --> http://www.xfce-look.org

I did, but none of them do anything for me. I like being able to actually read the title bar's text.

xequence
October 25th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I tried it for a bit but really wasnt impressed. It was only faster at switching themes, when a program loaded it got slow. I dont like the fact it doesent have a desktop (With icons) and I dont like the file manager. Yes, I know there are ways to fix them, but I want it to work without any work ;)

aysiu
October 25th, 2005, 11:07 PM
XFCE is nice, but I hate the themes that come with XFwm, and google doesn't seem to turn up any new themes. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to replace XFCE's window mangler with Openbox. For some reason, my Gnome themes pop right into XFCE, and I didn't even have to do any tweaking to get that to work.

I tried it for a bit but really wasnt impressed. It was only faster at switching themes, when a program loaded it got slow. I dont like the fact it doesent have a desktop (With icons) and I dont like the file manager. Yes, I know there are ways to fix them, but I want it to work without any work If you launch Nautilus, you'll have your Gnome desktop with themes and the Nautilus file manager. Well, if the programs don't load any faster for you, I guess it doesn't matter. The load quickly for me...

SilentCacophony
October 26th, 2005, 01:18 AM
I think that once Xubuntu is mature, I'll be going back to XFCE.

I used it for awhile, and quite liked it. I was really suprised by how little memory it required vs. how much it offered. I tend to install rox-filer no matter what i'm using for a desktop environment, anyway.

The only reason I removed XFCE was that I wanted to try other window managers and such, and didn't want a mess of them installed at once. I currently have openbox + pypanel + feh + rox-filer and a few other things serving as a DE on my 'lean' ubuntu, and gnome on my 'fat' ubuntu.

I haven't decided yet which I'd try Xubuntu on, though I'm leaning toward replacing gnome.

xequence
October 26th, 2005, 02:07 AM
If you launch Nautilus, you'll have your Gnome desktop with themes and the Nautilus file manager. Well, if the programs don't load any faster for you, I guess it doesn't matter. The load quickly for me...

Yea, I thought about that. I have been meaning to read stormy_eyes' article on how to make custom x sessions to make nautilus auto start with XFCE ;)

kairu0
October 26th, 2005, 05:24 AM
I run Xubuntu and open Nautilus only when I need via the panel. I have Nautilus configured not to show the desktop because it kills my XFCE wallpaper.

nsa_767
October 26th, 2005, 06:09 PM
XFCE rocks!

Seriously, on an old system like mine (only 256MB RAM), the difference in performance between XFCE and Gnome is huge.

Oh, BTW, I also had no problems applying Gnome-themes to XFCE.

ubuntu_demon
October 26th, 2005, 06:18 PM
I like xfce4. It runs smoothly on my p3 (826mhz,512 mb ram).

I prefer gnome for my p4 (more polished,less menu editting necessary). But I might switch to xfce in the future.

I prefer icewm for my girlfriends machine (64 mb ram) because xfce4 eats more memory than icewm.

Stormy Eyes
October 26th, 2005, 06:23 PM
For some reason, my Gnome themes pop right into XFCE, and I didn't even have to do any tweaking to get that to work.

When I say that the XFCE window manager's themes don't do anything for me, I mean that I don't like them, that they don't appeal to me.

aysiu
October 26th, 2005, 06:48 PM
When I say that the XFCE window manager's themes don't do anything for me, I mean that I don't like them, that they don't appeal to me. When I say they use my Gnome themes, I mean not the XFCE window manager themes--my Gnome themes. If you don't like the Gnome themes either, that's fine, too, but you didn't say that.

Stormy Eyes
October 26th, 2005, 07:00 PM
When I say they use my Gnome themes, I mean not the XFCE window manager themes--my Gnome themes. If you don't like the Gnome themes either, that's fine, too, but you didn't say that.

I must not have made myself clear, then. XFwm is the name of XFCE's window manager component, so when I said that XFwm's themes did not appeal to me, I was referring to the window manager. I'm sorry if I confused you.

aysiu
October 26th, 2005, 07:44 PM
I must not have made myself clear, then. XFwm is the name of XFCE's window manager component, so when I said that XFwm's themes did not appeal to me, I was referring to the window manager. I'm sorry if I confused you. No problem. I don't really know that much about window managers, anyway. I'll trust that you know what you like and don't like.

fredbird67
February 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Add me to the list of Xfce fans out there! I recently switched from PCLinuxOS, which uses KDE, because I found I couldn't get it to recognize my scanner, whereas the Debian-based distros, including Ubuntu, recognize it perfectly. Also, I saw some screenshots of KDE4, whose default appearance makes it look like they're trying to impersonate Vista, and I do NOT like my desktop looking like that piece of fecal-matter OS! Ironically, I don't mind it resembling XP, which I have to confess is pretty good, and it's on my computer at work, although if I had any say in the matter, I'd be running some form of Linux on there anyway, just because.

Anyways, since the KDE team decided they wanted a look that kinda resembles (cough, cough) Vista, I've been looking at Gnome and Xfce recently, and the first thing I tried was Ubuntu, as I've always liked its implementation of the Gnome desktop. It takes some doing to set everything up so that you can play stuff like MP3's, WMA and ASX files, Flash, and Java, and the like, but everything was pretty good until I ran into some stuff I couldn't play at all, no matter what multimedia program I downloaded.

At that point, I decided to give Linux Mint a try, which is able to play any kind of multimedia file right out of the box. However, Gnome felt kind of bloated, but it wasn't that big a deal by itself until just a few days after installing Mint, I discovered that clicking on Quit in the menu didn't do a thing! I found I had to press Alt-F1 to get a more conventional menu and click "Quit" on that one just to shut down!

Naturally, I found this unacceptable and downloaded and installed Linux Mint Xfce edition. Things are going great with Xfce, and even though I've got hardware that can easily handle KDE or Gnome and has done so, I've got Xfce on it now, never mind the fact that I have 512 MB of RAM and a 2.26 GHz Intel processor. To me, Xfce strikes a perfect balance among looks, functionality, and speed. It ROCKS!

aimran
February 15th, 2008, 04:54 PM
The necromancy is strong in this one

BDNiner
February 15th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I really like the speed of xfce, i even created a 2nd profile on my computer so that i can test it out. But it is a lot harder to customize. I even resorted to installing my themes in gnome and then switching back to xfce so that i can apply them (i am too lazy to just copy them in the the .themes folder), but on the flip side since xfce doesn't apply settings until you log out and back in, i can check to see what the theme looks like in gnome before applying it in xfce.

And i can't figure out how to mount my windows shares in xfce since all my pictures and music are on my windows box. So therefore rhythym box can't browse to the share to find my music library.

gn2
February 15th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I've used KDE, Gnome and XFCE.

My preference is XFCE, I like it's simplicity.
I've been using it exclusively for a year.

I use a few of the K apps which I like, Amarok, K3b, digiKam, but I do not like KDE.

It's great to have the choice.

gn2
February 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
And i can't figure out how to mount my windows shares in xfce

That's coming in Thunar, hopefully fairly soon, for now you need to use a network browser like pyneighborhood (http://pyneighborhood.sourceforge.net/scrnshots.html) which is in the repos.

regomodo
February 15th, 2008, 05:59 PM
aysiu, i thought you were an icewm fan? can't blame you for xfce4, its all i use.

fuscia
February 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
xfce4 is out??? awesome!!!

SunnyRabbiera
February 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM

XFCE4 has been out there for a while actually.

I like XFCE, but man does it need a decent menu editor!

regomodo
February 15th, 2008, 06:59 PM

Ok, i admit, i was wrong

forrestcupp
February 15th, 2008, 07:08 PM
aysiu, i thought you were an icewm fan? can't blame you for xfce4, its all i use.

Seeing how this thread is from 2005, I think it's safe to say he changed his preference since then.

regomodo
February 15th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Seeing how this thread is from 2005, I think it's safe to say he changed his preference since then.

haha, oh well. I didn't necrobump this thread.

matthew
February 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I think this fits "Recurring Discussions," so I'll move it there...although "Resurrected from the dead discussions" might be more fitting. :)

x1a4
February 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I love Xfce.

My first Linux distro was SuSE9 so my first GUI was KDE (default on SuSE), but for some reason I didn't like it much. Later I tried GNOME and liked it better. Eventually though, after a few distros and just about every GUI there is, I decided Xfce is what I like best. As a matter of fact, I like Xfce so much that when I learned about Ubuntu and that it has a Xfce-based variant, Xfce is why I installed it...and never looked back.

I don't know what exactly it is about Xfce that I like other than its fairly low footprint and a great look--especially version 4.4--but I love it nontheless, and use it as my primary GUI, and have no intention of using anything else--except for novelty reasons, when I use AfterStep or FVWM-Crystal for resource intensive games. Very rarely I use OpenBox or Sawfish augmented with FluxBox features for the root account. I also like WindowMaker and even have it installed, albeit mainly because it was necessary to install WMaker applets to use in AfterStep.

Xfce rocks! :guitar: Especially when running on *buntu.

some_random_noob
February 15th, 2008, 09:58 PM
XFCE4 has been out there for a while actually.

I like XFCE, but man does it need a decent menu editor!

Just stick your commonly used programs to your top panel. All you need to know is the command and where to find the programs icon.

Xubuntu rocks! But I recently discovered that it isn't officially supported (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/derivatives). What the hell? It works for me anyway. I'll probably keep using Xubuntu because my computer can't really run anything better. I'll get Gnome/KDE when I get a new computer - but I'll have to wait for my current one to die first!