PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu vs Kubuntu

ElSeeDee
October 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM
OK. I'm just asking why more (most, really) people use Ubuntu vice Kubuntu. Is it just because Ubuntu has gotten all the press and that's the only *buntu you knew about? Or did you actually try the others and went with the one you liked best?

Just asking.

olskar
October 10th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Tried both but cant stand KDE..

Naegling23
October 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM
tried both, I liked KDE better. I find it gives me more settings, and eye candy.

Although, it is a little frustrating that some things integrated into ubuntu either are left out (proprietary video drivers, compiz integration) or incomplete.

johnjust
October 10th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I had only heard of Ubuntu in the beginning, but I was familiar with Linux, so I knew that I hated GNOME (from Red Hat), and I loved KDE (from Fedora Core 4-5). When I learned that Kubuntu was Ubuntu with KDE, I was sold. However, with my experiences (which turned out to be me being stupid), I guess that the basic Ubuntu install is the way to go, you can always

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

afterwards to get KDE.

Try them all out, I prefer KDE because, coming from Windows, I think it's a lot more like Windows than GNOME (I've never used Fluxbox or XFCE, so I can't give you anything on them).

EDIT: Naegling23, I'd like your permission to steal and use that avatar. I think I may also print it out on some kind of sticker paper and put it on top of my Laptop's "Designed for Win XP" sticker >.>

Mike54
October 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM
My first Linux experience was with Kubuntu Feisty, about 4 weeks ago. I was dual-booting it with XP on a secondary computer.

A couple weeks later, I looked at an Ubuntu Live CD and ended up setting it up as a dual-boot on my primary computer.

I had the opportunity to play around with both and after a week, I decided I liked the way Ubuntu 'felt', so I wiped the secondary computer and went with a full Ubuntu Feisty install. I cannot really put my finger on anything tangible, there was just something that felt better with Ubuntu.

My plan is to upgrade the secondary system to Gutsy next week and see how it plays out for me. If it works as well as Feisty has, the primary computer will get a full Gutsy install and that will be the end of my Windows experiences.

Ubuntu gut-hooked me. In less than a month! :lolflag:

rsambuca
October 10th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I am an Ubuntu user for the most part, but my honest opinion is that if you really want to give KDE an honest chance, you have to use a distro that uses it by default. Kubuntu is probably one of the worst KDE distros in my experience.

johnjust
October 10th, 2007, 05:55 PM
My first Linux experience was with Kubuntu Feisty, about 4 weeks ago. I was dual-booting it with XP on a secondary computer.

A couple weeks later, I looked at an Ubuntu Live CD and ended up setting it up as a dual-boot on my primary computer.

I had the opportunity to play around with both and after a week, I decided I liked the way Ubuntu 'felt', so I wiped the secondary computer and went with a full Ubuntu Feisty install. I cannot really put my finger on anything tangible, there was just something that felt better with Ubuntu.

My plan is to upgrade the secondary system to Gutsy next week and see how it plays out for me. If it works as well as Feisty has, the primary computer will get a full Gutsy install and that will be the end of my Windows experiences.

Ubuntu gut-hooked me. In less than a month! :lolflag:

They're the same OS, with a different Desktop environment (GUI) sitting on top. :)

Mike54
October 10th, 2007, 05:59 PM
They're the same OS, with a different Desktop environment (GUI) sitting on top. :)
Aye, maybe I just liked the warmth of coffee more than the cool blue.

johnjust
October 10th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I'm a big fan of coffee myself, I get what you mean.

dn_desaku
October 10th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I would go with Ubuntu because it runs GNOME. KDE is not a DE I like very much. Also, KDE is too flashy. :( GNOME is not :)

wolfen69
October 11th, 2007, 05:15 AM
I would go with Ubuntu because it runs GNOME. KDE is not a DE I like very much. Also, KDE is too flashy. :( GNOME is not :)

i agree. kde has too many menus and submenus. K.I.S.S. plus, the whole "K" thing kind of gets on my nerves. it reminds me of Apples' "I" campaign.

swisscow
October 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM
i agree. kde has too many menus and submenus. K.I.S.S. plus, the whole "K" thing kind of gets on my nerves. it reminds me of Apples' "I" campaign.

For my 2 pennies worth, KDE is more interesting than Gnome - Gnome just seems a bit dumb and a bit dull. As for the number of menus - I have one, with sections for graphics, internet etc - not actually very complicated and it's a bog standard install.

Anyway, it's all opinion and this debate will go on longer than time itself.

wolfen69
October 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM
For my 2 pennies worth, KDE is more interesting than Gnome - Gnome just seems a bit dumb and a bit dull. As for the number of menus - I have one, with sections for graphics, internet etc - not actually very complicated and it's a bog standard install.

Anyway, it's all opinion and this debate will go on longer than time itself.

when the day comes when i start sitting around admiring my menus and icons, i'll be sure and use kde. :confused:

swisscow
October 11th, 2007, 05:21 PM
when the day comes when i start sitting around admiring my menus and icons, i'll be sure and use kde. :confused:

And the day I start making comments like that about other people's opinions is the day I give up speaking - coz I'll have nothing useful to say.

As I said:

it's all opinion and this debate will go on longer than time itself.

karellen
October 11th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I use ubuntu because I like gnome much more than kde

vishzilla
October 13th, 2007, 12:13 PM
GNOME is what I use right now, but some how KDE keeps me interested all the time. With the preview of KDE4, the urge is more than ever.

happysmileman
October 13th, 2007, 02:50 PM

Don't these two kinda contradict each other, if yo care about how a menu looks quote 2 is invalid, otherwise quote 1 is.

But 5 minutes in KMenuEdit can make the menu as good as you want it so none of that matters really. I live having a section for each group (Graphics, internet, Multimedia) so I suppose by that logic I must sit staring at my menu all day

-grubby
October 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
No offense to anybody but Kubuntu is the slowest distro I've ever tried!
I don't think it integrates KDE all that great either. I find that running KDE is much faster if I just install it like this:

Sudo apt-get install kdm kde-core

happysmileman
October 13th, 2007, 06:09 PM
No offense to anybody but Kubuntu is the slowest distro I've ever tried!
I don't think it integrates KDE all that great either. I find that running KDE is much faster if I just install it like this:

Sudo apt-get install kdm kde-core

Agreed, it's the fastest though if you install it like this:

sudo emerge -av kdebase-startkde
:P

ArtF10
October 13th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Ubuntu, because I had only heard of it. When I found out about Kubuntu and tried, well, I realized that I cannot stand KDE.

mdsmedia
October 15th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I installed Ubuntu first, because that was the LiveCD I had.

I installed the KDE desktop and found it a bit counter-intuitive, not so much the menu system but how it handled mouse clicks etc....maybe I was just used to Gnome.

I found Kubuntu a bit "cluttered" I think....after getting used to the simplicity of Ubuntu.

I went back to Ubuntu and each time I try Kubuntu again I just go back to Gnome because I like it better.

KDE is not as bad as returning to the Windows desktop every so often ...now that's terrible. But I prefer Gnome to KDE.

t0p
October 15th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I use Ubuntu cos I like Gnome. However, a while ago I gave a SimplyMEPIS LiveCD a spin - I didn't think much of SimplyMEPIS, but its KDE interface sort of... interested me. I'd tried KDE before, and had decided Gnome was best, but this revisit to KDE had me looking at it differently.

Anyway, when I upgrade next, I'm going to give Ubuntu and Kubuntu a fair go, and then I'll choose between them. I still think that KDE menu is unwieldy, but... hmmm...