PDA

View Full Version : For "Ubuntu Art Team"...or whoever does the wallpaper and stuff for Ubuntu...

sbjaved
October 10th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Here is a look at the new Fedora (fedora 8 test 3):
http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/scaled/Fedora%208%20Test%203/3.gif

And here is its Ubuntu counterpart:
http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/scaled/Ubuntu%207.10%20Gutsy%20Gibbon%20Beta/3.gif

Ummm... Why can't we have some of that??

Ubuntu is the distro that has changed the way people look at linux...but why don't they hire a REAL ART TEAM???

orange2k
October 10th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I like the default Ubuntu look, but yes, its not as stylish as Fedora...
But it is easy enough to customize the look of the login screen, wallpaper, icons etc... with stuff from gnome-look or anything else of your choice...

awakatanka
October 10th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Maybe you like kubuntu arts better :lolflag:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GutsyGibbon/Tribe5/Kubuntu?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=kdm.png

EdThaSlayer
October 10th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Ubuntu could use an improvement. Well, maybe the next distro will have that if enough people complain about this "bug".

Lord Illidan
October 10th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Strewth. Ubuntu does look drab compared to those. Kubuntu is not bad, but Fedora looks beautiful!

Lster
October 10th, 2007, 12:28 PM
With something so subjective as art, I don't think you can please everyone. I like Ubuntu (and Fedora even more), but I'm sure others like Ubuntu more.

multifaceted
October 10th, 2007, 12:35 PM
It doesn't matter how the default theme appears... 80% of Linux users will change the appearance of their GUI right away. The new Fedora is beautiful however, I would still change it if I used it.

OffHand
October 10th, 2007, 12:43 PM
The OP is absolutely right although you might as well talk to a wall since Canonical thinks the default is great. And as a Bachelor (and almost a Master) of Fine Arts I think I know a thing or 2 about design.

tom-ubuntu
October 10th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I like the simplicity of the Ubuntu Art. It is anyway useless do discuss about it, everybody like something different.

Why not just using Fedora's theme? Should be possible to use...

vishzilla
October 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM
you can change the GDM appearance to your own taste. However, I hope for some gradual changes in the art work for the next LTS

TomMK
October 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I prefer the Ubuntu one. It's perfect from a functionality point of view. It wants your username, so that's the only thing it puts in the centre of the screen. The Fedora colour scheme is great but it's a messy screen.

Sunflower1970
October 10th, 2007, 03:24 PM
The Fedora one is very nice, and attractive, but the Ubuntu one is nice and simple. I prefer it...

argie
October 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
If the brown was darker I'd love it, but maybe it's my LCD screen. The Fedora GDM screen looks very good, but a darker brown on the Ubuntu one would just make it perfect for me.

dca
October 10th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I believe it's meant to be minimal. Don't forget Fedora is a test bed for RHEL... Have you booted up RHEL w/ gnome. Not much different as far as drabbiness even though RH gets installed mainly on headless servers or where four or five servers share a KVM... Ubuntu on the other hand is trying to please everyone. Not only is it a community developed dealie, it's also a commercial product. I don't want flowers and balloons to greet me on a commercial product... I dunno', my two cents...

boast
October 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM
i think the xubuntu one looks sweet.

http://debianadmin.com/copper/albums/xfeisty/normal_0.png

rsambuca
October 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Another perfect candidate for the "recurring discussions" section :rolleyes:

Ireclan
October 10th, 2007, 06:48 PM
While I agree the Fedora screen looks better, I like the Ubuntu screen too.

ButteBlues
October 10th, 2007, 07:12 PM
It doesn't matter how the default theme appears... 80% of Linux users will change the appearance of their GUI right away. The new Fedora is beautiful however, I would still change it if I used it.
That's not an excuse.

Because for all those magazines that will review Ubuntu, and all those people who will try it and due to a mess of small reasons decide it isn't for them, the default artwork usually stays there and makes a huge difference.

Nano Geek
October 10th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Another perfect candidate for the "recurring discussions" section :rolleyes:agreed

Artificial Intelligence
October 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Thread moved.

rsambuca
October 10th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Thread moved.

=D>

sbjaved
October 11th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Recurring or not...I think its important to discuss why Ubuntu makes a drab first impression...

Here is another reality check:

Fedora 8 Test 3 Default Desktop:
http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/scaled/Fedora%208%20Test%203/4.gif

Ubuntu 7.10 Beta Default Desktop:
http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/scaled/Ubuntu%207.10%20Gutsy%20Gibbon%20Beta/4.gif

As for 80% of the users changing their stuff...Thats not what this thread is about!

Nano Geek
October 11th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Recurring or not...I think its important to discuss why Ubuntu makes a drab first impression...

Here is another reality check:

Fedora 8 Test 3 Default Desktop:
http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/scaled/Fedora%208%20Test%203/4.gif

Ubuntu 7.10 Beta Default Desktop:
http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/scaled/Ubuntu%207.10%20Gutsy%20Gibbon%20Beta/4.gif

As for 80% of the users changing their stuff...Thats not what this thread is about!They both look about the same, one's brown, and the other's purple. They both use the same abstract line thing.

Artificial Intelligence
October 11th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Yep, they pretty much looks the same, except the colour ofcause.

Phil Airtime
October 12th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I'm glad I'm not alone in really strongly disliking the brown.

Sad to see that this has been moved to the forum equivalent of the naughty corner, though. Are we not to have a discussion on how a change to the god awful brown theme could give people a better first impression of Ubuntu? Who decided on brown in the first place? Was it "Moneybags" Shuttleworth?

I've half a mind to make a custom Ubuntu with the Fedora artwork, which actually looks like a vaguely professional OS. Could call it "Blubuntu".

Coldkill
October 12th, 2007, 01:48 AM

Sad to see that this has been moved to the forum equivalent of the naughty corner, though. Are we not to have a discussion on how a change to the god awful brown theme could give people a better first impression of Ubuntu? Who decided on brown in the first place? Was it "Moneybags" Shuttleworth?

I've half a mind to make a custom Ubuntu with the Fedora artwork, which actually looks like a vaguely professional OS. Could call it "Blubuntu".

Go ahead and do as you wish.
I personally like the Ubuntu default.:)

rsambuca
October 12th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Sad to see that this has been moved to the forum equivalent of the naughty corner, though.

Not a 'naughty corner' by any means. It is, just as the section indicates, a topic that has been discussed many, many, many, many times before!

23meg
October 12th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Who decided on brown in the first place? Was it "Moneybags" Shuttleworth?

Mark Shuttleworth.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Blubuntu

Artificial Intelligence
October 12th, 2007, 05:33 AM

The thread have been move here because it's a "beating a dead horse" thread. No matter how much people yell and scream themself to death the default colour of Ubuntu will not change.
What looks good and professional is the eye of the beholder, personally I like the brown-ish as it doesn't stress the eyes and give a comfortable working space.
Why won't they change it to another colour? The answer is simple, when you see the brownish colour everybody knows it's Ubuntu, that's quite unique color. Every other distro uses the same colour scheme more less.

Secondly, please show Mark Shuttleworth a little respect, because you don't like the brown or whatever doesn't give you the right for name callings.

Thanks

Phil Airtime
October 12th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Not a 'naughty corner' by any means. It is, just as the section indicates, a topic that has been discussed many, many, many, many times before!

But this section's really a self-fulfilling prophecy, isn't it?

Whoever runs this forum is fed up with discussions going round and round. So they put up this section in which to put such topics. But by being a special section that less people are likely to click on, they're ensuring that it is a dull circular discussion. New users who might have something new to add aren't nearly as likely to find the topic here.

Phil Airtime
October 12th, 2007, 11:33 AM
The thread have been move here because it's a "beating a dead horse" thread. No matter how much people yell and scream themself to death the default colour of Ubuntu will not change.
What looks good and professional is the eye of the beholder, personally I like the brown-ish as it doesn't stress the eyes and give a comfortable working space.
Why won't they change it to another colour? The answer is simple, when you see the brownish colour everybody knows it's Ubuntu, that's quite unique color. Every other distro uses the same colour scheme more less.

Secondly, please show Mark Shuttleworth a little respect, because you don't like the brown or whatever doesn't give you the right for name callings.

Thanks

But brown has never, ever been a pleasant colour to sit and look at. It's like the OS theme equivalent of your grandads' flea-ridden old sofa. The only thing it's marginally better than is the cartoonish default on Windows XP. Even Vista is aesthetically light years ahead of default Ubuntu, no matter how many pointless, computer-slowing 3D bells and whistles they stick on the latter. (Ooh, desktops on a bleedin' cube, that's going to transform my computing experience.)

"When you see the brownish colour everybody knows it's Ubuntu"? I know it's Ubuntu. I spent the time loading the CD into my computer. The word "Ubuntu" comes up every time I switch the thing on. The Ubuntu logo is in the top-left corner of the screen. I don't need a horrible brown colour to tell me what OS I'm using.

As for name-calling, I think you're being over-sensitive. However you try to spin it, Mark Shuttleworth is the moneybags behind the project. I get a bit fed up of the fawning attitude towards him on here; it's as if he can do no wrong. I assume, by the "have some respect!" stuff posted on this thread, that it is the Great One with the Bank Account who's decided on brown and that's why it's staying.

rsambuca
October 12th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Actually, you are just re-emphasizing the point as to why it does belong here. This is the place for discussions that are based on nothing more substantial than personal preference. You refer to brown not being a "pleasant colour", how Vista is "aesthetically light years ahead of default Ubuntu". These things are just personal preference and have no substantive merit. I do not understand how you could think that colour preference is anything but that.