PDA

View Full Version : Nice idea but....

irritating
October 8th, 2007, 01:02 PM
If this UBUNTU thing is gonna take off then they need to make it a whole lot easier. Not all of us are computer scientists! Too much of "type this weird command in",stuff - have you tried typing in "my face hurts" during the 100th reboot just as a pigeon flies past the window and an old woman rummages in her purse on the number 5 bus somewhere in birmingham. No I havent tried that yet, i'll give it a go!!

Hey, surprise surprise it still hangs during install.

Oh well back to XP. At least that works.....

man_bash
October 8th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Just what exactly is your problem with ubuntu? This is a place to ask for help, sometimes things don't work (as they FAIL TO WORK IN WINDOWS WHICH IS WHY I SWITCHED TO LINUX/UBUNTU IN THE FIRST PLACE), and people here will provide answers, provided you ASK THEM (nicely). Oh, BTW, after 3 months of Ubuntu I restarted only about 10 times......

skymera
October 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM
UNIX has always been command line work.

ubuntu requires learning, it dosent spoon feed you.

do yuo research properly! if you did you would have known this

take your time to learn, ASK for help, we are always here.

irritating
October 8th, 2007, 01:11 PM
OK, apologies for the tone......

Not much I can tell you except that the install just hangs at 22% whilst "copying files". No other info provided. Im using the LIVECD install. I deleted all partitions prior to install so that it had plenty of space etc....ie 40GB. The CD drive flickers occasionally but nothing happens. Left for an hour in case it was doing something on the sly, but nothing.

Any suggestions?

phenest
October 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM
If this UBUNTU thing is gonna take off then they need to make it a whole lot easier.

"We" are working on it. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Not all of us are computer scientists!

Neither am I, but there are many ways to help yourself.

Too much of "type this weird command in",stuff -

And? There in Windows too, sometimes.

have you tried typing in "my face hurts" during the 100th reboot just as a pigeon flies past the window and an old woman rummages in her purse on the number 5 bus somewhere in birmingham.

Huh?

No I havent tried that yet, i'll give it a go!!

So you have a problem during installation. Perhaps if you were to tell us the exact problem, we could help.

It does? XP never crashes? The drivers/hardware always work? It never slows to a crawl? You never have to keep re-installing it?

ryno519
October 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Not much I can tell you except that the install just hangs at 22% whilst "copying files". No other info provided. Im using the LIVECD install. I deleted all partitions prior to install so that it had plenty of space etc....ie 40GB. The CD drive flickers occasionally but nothing happens. Left for an hour in case it was doing something on the sly, but nothing.

Any suggestions?

That happened on my friends computer (22% and everything). What he had to do is download and install from the alternate cd and that went fine.

I also believe that the Ubuntu live cd is capable of checking its own data integrity during startup. Run that check and make sure the disc you downloaded and burned isn't damaged or flawed in any way.

Ub1476
October 8th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Check the CD for defects in the boot menu.

Any suggestions?

skymera
October 8th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Any suggestions?

ok thats better :)

first you may or certainly have a dud disk :(

redownload and burn slower :wink:

man_bash
October 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM
There is a "check CD for errors" (or something like that) in the livecd startup menu. Try it first. Also, make double sure (just in case) that you have downloaded the proper 32 or 64 bit edition.

If the CD has errors/scratches then even XP will not install. Did you use XP's CD-burning program to burn it (by any chance)?

Sorry, never (really) used XP, stopped at Win2K. XP crashed 10 minutes after installation, "format C:\" followed 2 minutes later, "Never again" was uttered, and never again XP littered my hard drive:)

aktiwers
October 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Or you could try burn another disk. Did you remember to burn it at slow speed? Speed like 4x.

This happend to me as well, and was because of burning mistakes.
Check your iso files md5sum and burn it slow.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Then lets see if it works.

Here is a good link to get started when you are done installing:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

irritating
October 8th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try burning the CD again first

Wynne G Oldman
October 8th, 2007, 01:29 PM
If this UBUNTU thing is gonna take off then they need to make it a whole lot easier. Not all of us are computer scientists! Too much of "type this weird command in",stuff - have you tried typing in "my face hurts" during the 100th reboot just as a pigeon flies past the window and an old woman rummages in her purse on the number 5 bus somewhere in birmingham. No I havent tried that yet, i'll give it a go!!

Oh well back to XP. At least that works.....I understand your frustration. I felt pretty much the same when I first tried Ubuntu. Anyway, after a couple of months of help from this excellent forum, I have now dumped XP totally, and have installed Ubuntu on both my kids PC's as well. If you don't like using the command line, I recommend that you wait until Gutsy is released, and install that. I am running the beta version on my PC, and it's really easy to set up. I didn't have to use Terminal once. If you need any codecs or plugins, it asks you if you would like to install them. Simple as that. You can even run Adobe Flash through 64 bit Firefox. If you have any problems, just ask politely and the good people on this forum will be more than happy to help you. Welcome to Ubuntu, and good luck!:)

huckabuck
October 8th, 2007, 02:16 PM
I too am very familiar with your frustration . I started fumbling with gnu linux when a friend recommended i try gentoo . Ha ha ha ... difficult when you dont understand the command line doesn't even begin to describe that process . But i hung with it for 10 months , and actually had a few really nice gentoo installs set up . However , for me , with each triumph came another trap door . For me , it is a lack of understanding the linux kernel , and with ubuntu , they have many drivers for lots of different hardware built in . When i popped in my now running xubuntu 6.10 disc , it even recognizes my almost impossible to install wpc11v4 linksys wireless card . When upgrading to 7.04 , my driver becomes blackllisted , and has to be uncommented for my card to work again . With Gusty beta , my machine has hit a roadblock and i've had kernel panicks when trying to get that card set up so i've fallen back to 7.04 fiesty until the official release of Gutsy . I could probably figure it out if i asked the questions , but i want the stability of an official release . I've tried slackware 12 , straight debian etch 4.01r , gentoo , saybayon , and a few other smaller distrobutions . By far unbuntu/xubuntu has been the best experience to help me with my learning curve . You have to stick with it . Burn the discs slower , or try the alternate install . Its gonna work out , and it sure beats shaking your head at your xp . ( or even vista - xp service pack 3 )

This place is great , hang tough .

picpak
October 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Ubuntu isn't the only Linux.

If you're worried about using the command line, try Linux Mint. Not only is it based off Ubuntu, it also uses less of the command line because...well, it comes default with everything.

For those of us who don't like the bloat...there's Ubuntu.

aysiu
October 10th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Not all of us are computer scientists! You're right. I'm not a computer scientist, and many others users here are also not computer scientists.

23meg
October 10th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Not all of us are cooks either. I'm not, but I do cook my own food, and am sure most of us here can as well.