PDA

View Full Version : Halo 1 in Wine with ATI Mobility FireGL V52x0

1212jtraceur
October 6th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I'm trying to get Halo working. I've followed the instructions here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=486986), but have had no luck.

I'm using wine 0.9.46, because it is the version that works the most. The splash screen shows for a split second, but then I get a mostly black screen with a little blue, all jagged (the menu, I think). Two warnings and one fatal error later, it tells me that my hardware is below the recommended spec, and that my driver "is know to have serious issues with the game" (I'm using fglrx).

It thinks my graphics card is a "16M ATI Rage 128", when it is actually either an ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 or anATI Mobility FireGL V5250 (I'm on a Thinkpad T60p).

I know ati cards/drivers don't play well with wine, but does anyone have any idea of how to fix this?

Thanks,
1212jtraceur

gwoodard
October 7th, 2007, 10:08 PM
go to terminal to winecfg to Graphics and emulate virtual desktop

(Recommend 1024x768 )

1212jtraceur
October 8th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Ok, when I do that, I get a small window with the title "ERROR - failed to-" (I can't see the rest...) and the content text "Success" even before the Halo splash, which doesn't show up afterward.

gwoodard
October 8th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Well there is the "Cedega" Route, Usually Wine has problems with Halo (or some newer game for PCs)

lordhebe
October 9th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Cedega will probably have just as many problems (if not more so) for running Halo as wine, because it's not a supported game.

Besides your graphics card doesn't even meet the windows requirement, so the chances of getting it running through wine is very VERY thin, ATi card or not.

1212jtraceur
October 10th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I don't really want to pay for Cedega, especially if it won't work...I don't think my card is too weak. I have a friend on Windows who runs it well with the same card. It's just incompatible with Wine, I think. Thanks for the help.

inf4my
December 10th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I also have a t60p and cant get games to work on wine. The card definitely meets the specs for Halo 1 on windows. I can play all of orange box and other games at medium/high levels quite well.

aaabbb
December 11th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Wine might be loading default drivers for all of one company's card series...I don't really know...

freakinjonathan
March 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
yeah i have halo for windows and gave it a try, but and the installer popped up and it said
"could not load Pidgen.dll"

eragon100
March 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
I played halo under wine a few months ago, it worked fine. But I have a GeForce 7 :)

And though I can't help you with this, you might have more succes posting this in gaming & leisure