PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Possible to only install browser part of Seamonkey?

quixotic-cynic
October 5th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Hello,

Is it possible to somehow only install the browser part of Seamonkey using this script (not the e-mail part etc)?

You can do this via the normal install method of Seamonkey but I cannot find a way to do it using ubuntuzilla,py.

Thanks if anyone can help.

It looks like a good project - thanks to nanotube for making it.

nanotube
October 7th, 2007, 12:54 AM
hi,
no, ubuntuzilla can only install the complete seamonkey archive. so if you want to only install the mail part, i guess you have to do it manually...

or, you could just install the whole thing, and ignore all the other parts. it's not like full seamonkey takes up that much more space than just the browser part. :)

thanks for asking! :)

GavinZac
October 7th, 2007, 01:07 AM
isnt Seamonkey just Mozilla Suite, making the browser part just Firefox (or Epiphany)?

nanotube
October 7th, 2007, 01:37 AM
isnt Seamonkey just Mozilla Suite, making the browser part just Firefox (or Epiphany)?

no, seamonkey browser and firefox are distinct projects, although they do share a lot of common code, due to their common ancestry.

firefox started out as a fork of mozilla suite's browser component, stripped down for lightness. from then on it evolved on its own, separate path, and eventually became popular enough that it became mozilla foundation's "core" project, with mozilla suite being left as an orphan in the background. at some point after mozilla suite was mostly abandoned in favor of firefox/thunderbird combo, it got renamed into seamonkey. (a little history lesson for you, in case you care :) ).

GavinZac
October 7th, 2007, 01:39 AM
no, seamonkey browser and firefox are distinct projects (although they do share a lot of common code, due to their common ancestry. :) ).

:D well, for the most part i have found that the majority of gecko browsers work 90% the same and each very well :)

nanotube
October 7th, 2007, 01:43 AM
:D well, for the most part i have found that the majority of gecko browsers work 90% the same and each very well :)

indeed, i have found similar results. although it 'has been claimed' that seamonkey is faster and more stable - but since i haven't used seamonkey too extensively, i can't comment on that. :)

GavinZac
October 7th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Kindly think about this.

It is true they make profit by charging their supports, maintenance and troubleshoot.

But why they need to distribute the OS for free when they can make money out of it?

I will never do that, neither do you or anyone else in the world.

Free gift is the best strategy to increase popularity and to brand something or to create culture.

Once they get the client, users, and community... when everyone seems to like it... in a long run...

BOOM!!! CHARGE!!! MONEY!!! They are all the same.
Opensource is for blind people (computer nerds)

Remember:
''In the Iand of the bLlnd. . .the one-eyed man is king''

Note:
"To all programmers in the world please appreciate your work! Because if you dont other people will"

ban time for mister redmond i think .

nanotube
October 7th, 2007, 04:23 AM
ban time for mister redmond i think .

heh, a bit of healthy skepticism is to be encouraged. nothing wrong with expressing an opinion, entertaining a possibility.

though he must consider the role of the GPL in the whole business - that may affect his conclusion. :)

edit: where did you get that post from, btw?

quixotic-cynic
October 8th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Thank you for replying - I can do it manually so I guess that is what I will do.

I may be wrong, but I think that when all the components are installed it seems to take up more cpu/memory than firefox and when it is just the browser component it seems to use less. It is more responsive too, at least on my machine (back button is really fast).

Anyway, thank you for responding.

I would also be interested to know if you will ever support IceWeasel too (it blocks web bugs and I like the logo).