PDA

View Full Version : What Linux Needs! (Ubuntu)

solidsteel144
October 5th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Hello, I really think Linux has a large potential, but there are a few things I, and many other people don't like about it.

Default Icons: I'm sorry to say, they look terrible, someone should really make an entire icon set for the OS.. While sticking to one theme. This will give it the "Wow" factor to many people, including me.

Driver Detection/Installation: This is a problem to most people, some drivers are harder to install than the other, why can't there be something like a EXE to install them? Under root maybe? Most novice computer illiterate people won't have a clue how to use a command prompt, hence the reason they stick to Windows or Mac OS.

If these things were to be fixed/improved, many more people would consider moving to a Linux OS, instead of Windows.. Especially since Linux in generally is free for all of us.

Miles. :)

Soarer
October 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Hello, I really think Linux has a large potential, but there are a few things I, and many other people don't like about it.

Default Icons: I'm sorry to say, they look terrible, someone should really make an entire icon set for the OS.. While sticking to one theme. This will give it the "Wow" factor to many people, including me.

Driver Detection/Installation: This is a problem to most people, some drivers are harder to install than the other, why can't there be something like a EXE to install them? Under root maybe? Most novice computer illiterate people won't have a clue how to use a command prompt, hence the reason they stick to Windows or Mac OS.

If these things were to be fixed/improved, many more people would consider moving to a Linux OS, instead of Windows.. Especially since Linux in generally is free for all of us.

Hi Miles,

I know what you mean about the icons, but I use them anyway. You can change them REALLY easily, and there are lots available on www.gnome-look.org.

I think you are joking about the drivers, right? Ubuntu detects hardware and loads drivers much better than any OS I have used. Maybe if you have a particular problem, you can post it on here and others can help?

All the best.

oldos2er
October 5th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Icon sets are easily changed--Google is your friend.

scrooge_74
October 5th, 2007, 06:31 PM

I imagine you are comming straight from Windows don't you?

Gnome-look should satisfy your thirst for icons or eye-candy.

As for drivers is a question of support from manufacturers. I have a compaq nx6110, the only driver I had to install was the wireless driver card (since it is a Broadcom) all the rest was manage automatically during install. My laserjet 1100 from HP was two clicks to get it running, and my HP scanner-printer combo at home I even did that from CUPSYS web browser tool, took me 3 cliks

shad0w_walker
October 5th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I haven't had a problem with the default icon sets, i prefer a nice set of scalable icons to the windows icons anyday. As for drivers, The only thing I'v had trouble with was my Wifi (Solved easily after few mins on the forum) and my graphics card (Had to go to all the trouble of clicking enable in restricted driver manager </sarcasm>)

OffAxis
October 5th, 2007, 06:34 PM
For Windows transplants (I'm guessing that's what you are) don't forget KDE
http://kde.org
or
kubuntu
http://kubuntu.org/

igknighted
October 5th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Each linux distribution has a unified icon theme of their own. If you do not like Ubuntu's, try Suse or Pardus or any other distro to find a different theme. Also, as mentioned, gnome-look.org is the place to go.

For technical reasons, your second point really doesn't make sense. Windows has one and only one kernel, so any driver manufacturer can create an interface to that kernel and distribute it. Linux has a new kernel every few months (and depending on how you compile it, there are near infinite kernels you could have. Basically, there needs to be a way to custom compile the module to interface with the kernel.

Now many distributions, like Ubuntu, distribute a specific kernel and hold that version fairly steady. In this case, you DO have a ".exe" like installer... it's called ".deb". These packages are really more like a .msi, but in the case of an installer the .exe simply launches the .msi... but w/e. So if you get the driver pre-packaged with your distribution the install is easier than windows. If you do not, it could be a challenge for those unfamiliar.

Also, do not forget that 99% of all the drivers you will ever need are built into the linux kernel... so it is much less often that you will need to find and install a driver.

HermanAB
October 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Hmm, it just sounds like you need to try a different Linux distribution, such as Mandriva, Fedora or Suse. You should look around a bit before you complain too much.

Faud
October 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Hello and welcome to Linux. It was just the opposite for me. I found customizing my desktop to my needs much easier in Linux then with XP. I also remember having a problem with a driver in XP that took me a week to fix, most of which was long distance phone calls to different companys all blaming each other for the problem.
I would also like to add that I have never seen support for an OS like I have found here, let alone all of the forums that are a click away with people that are always willing to help in a fasion that does not make me feel incompetent. I have never been happier with my computer since installing a Linux OS.

Jimmyfj
October 5th, 2007, 06:58 PM
GNU/Linux IS NOT Windows, and, thank God never will be. If it were to be I for one would not run it. I like Linux the way it is - maybe Linux just isn't for you.

Your claim about drivers seems to show that you did not try Ubuntu. I have never had any issues with the drivers on my system, or any other part of my computer for that matter. Ubuntu just works out of the box.

Golyadkin
October 5th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I agree with the people above, it is sooo much easier to customize GNOME compared to Windows. The difference is that in GNOME / Ubuntu, it all just makes more sense, it is more intuitive and useable. The problem is if you always only used Windows, you are used to having to jump through weird hoops to do simple things :)

louieb
October 5th, 2007, 07:47 PM
When I buy a new piece of hardware the one thing that almost always comes with it is a driver installation CD. It has the driver for Windows and sometimes even MAC. But I don't know if I've ever seen a Linux driver on CD yet. Have you?

The open source developers have done a wonderful job. Reminds me of sign I saw on an engineering outfits wall. "We have done so much with so little for so long - that now we are qualified to do anything with nothing"

Lets start a movement don't buy hardware unless it has Linux drivers in the package. Yea right. But do take care to see that the hardware you get works with Linux.

solidsteel144
October 5th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I have a Gigabyte S-Series GA-P31-DS3L, and I can't get the Lan to work.. :(

I have no idea how to do kernel compilations.. (If I needed to.)

joecool362
October 5th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I agree that is THE only reason I use Windows more than XP

Nano Geek
October 5th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I agree that is THE only reason I use Windows more than XPHuh?
Do you mean Linux more than XP?

scrooge_74
October 5th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I have a Gigabyte S-Series GA-P31-DS3L, and I can't get the Lan to work.. :(

I have no idea how to do kernel compilations.. (If I needed to.)

From what I just read here (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=837&num=1) it seems you need to focus on your network card chip and look for specific support for it, instead of complaining, it says the chip is a RTL 8111B chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

Keep searching you will find and answer, and idea for you here (http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=7126&highlight=rtl+8111b)

Soarer
October 6th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I have the RTL8111 (not 'B') chip on my Gigabyte mobo and it works fine in Gutsy out of the box. I haven't tried it at 1000MHz though, only 100Mhz.