PDA

View Full Version : How many people will migrate to KDE 4?

Bagboy23
October 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Gnome will not improve in my lifetime I am quite sure of that, so wondering how many of you will migrate?

nest
October 4th, 2007, 04:21 PM
ill stay with fluxbox ;)

Joeb454
October 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I quite like gnome actually, if you have enough RAM it's not too bad.

Although having tried KDE on Feisty, I did quite like it, although it reminded me slightly of Windows in the layout, kind of like a complex/more powerful start menu :p

So I'll probably give it a try at some point

santiagoward2000
October 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I'll stick with XFCE, thank you...
Bagboy, you're missing some options on your poll :lolflag:

Kitsun
October 4th, 2007, 04:56 PM
There are so many things I dislike about GNOME, seriously, if your smart enough to turn a computer on you should be allowed to adjust screen saver settings.

I'm definitely going to give KDE4 a try.

r4ik
October 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Gnome works perfect for me i use some KDE apps but have got no intention to switch.

qamelian
October 4th, 2007, 05:13 PM
For features and configurability, I have always preferred KDE, but for stability, I've always stuck with Gnome. Recently a problem during an update fragged my applications menu in Gnome and I've been unable to resolve the issue, so in the interim, I decided to give XFCE another try. So far the expeerience has been great and I think I'll be sticking with XFCE for now. So far, I haven't really seen any compelling reason to switch to KDE4 when it comes out. I'll give it a try, but unless it's more stable the KDE 3.5.* on my laptop, it won't be my main DE.

Anzan
October 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I am very comfortable with GNOME having tried KDE several times in several distros.

When KDE 4 is well integrated into Kubuntu, I intend to install the desktop and try it out; perhaps even keeping it as an alternate. But I think I will will most likely wind up configuring it to look like GNOME but using whatever KDE features I find useful.

Paul820
October 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Gnome is fine for me, i'll be sticking with it.

kellemes
October 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I'm on KDE now, very happy with it.. I've set it up just how I like it. KDE is progressing much much faster compared to Gnome and is actually taking it's users serious.. the user has all the power to customize the system to the extreme..
KDE4 will go even further.. I'll be using it for sure.

Sunflower1970
October 4th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I might. I like what I see with KDE4...

nikef
October 4th, 2007, 05:35 PM
well i installed ubuntu,then i found the kubuntu desktop and i never use ubuntu
again,so i will be sticking with kubuntu :)

milosz.galazka
October 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Hello, I am using kde. It contains all apps I need and everything is well integrated.
I like gnome, it's evolution application is great :)
But the best window manager as I think is fvwm :D

rsambuca
October 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Wow! Another thread/poll asking if people are tired of apples and will try oranges instead.

Can a mod move this to the "Recurring Topics" with the bazillion others?

notwen
October 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Sticking it out w/ GNOME or a lesser DE. Never was a big KDE fan to begin with. =]

Paul820
October 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Wow! Another thread/poll asking if people are tired of apples and will try oranges instead.

Can a mod move this to the "Recurring Topics" with the bazillion others?
bazilion? That many eh? :)

rsambuca
October 4th, 2007, 05:58 PM
bazilion? That many eh? :)

No less of an absurd statement than that of the op's
Gnome will not improve in my lifetime I am quite sure of that,...

tubasoldier
October 4th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I tried the latest beta version. I'm sure I'll go to KDE4, but it will take a lot of work and stabilization before I take that plunge.

Paul820
October 4th, 2007, 06:11 PM

True......gnome will improve, slowly, but it will get there.

abadtooth
October 4th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Gnome will not improve in my lifetime I am quite sure of that, so wondering how many of you will migrate?

I'm not actually sure, I used to use KDE, I thought it was awesome and all, but I started using Gnome one day and found it to be more productive and I actually Liked it more than I did KDE.
So we will see :P

snickers295
October 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM
i'm not sure yet.
i have always used kde and i just got ubuntu 7.4 the other day with gnome and i'm going to upgrade to gusty when it comes out and if i like gnome i will use it but if i don't like gnome i will try kde 4

mivo
October 4th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Well, I just switched from KDE/Kubuntu to Gnome/Ubuntu. KDE was, sadly, not stable enough on my system. I work a lot with IMAP servers, and KMail does not handle them well and is somewhat crashy (Evolution does significantly better). I also had KOffice close on me a few times. I could use Evolution in KDE, but it is better integrated in Gnome/Ubuntu.

Gnome also runs "snappier" on my machine. I like KDE's software integration, but there are some design decisions that I feel a little tedious to me (i.e. "x" closing a Window does not exit the application), though most of them can tweaked and adjusted. Things often seemed a bit "busy". Gnome + Compiz are a great combination and increase my productive (and efficiency). Compiz is really the key factor here.

Lastly, Canonical's support for Ubuntu seems to be better than for Kubuntu. More work and effort seem to go in the Gnome-based distro. It is the flagship, so it makes sense, too.

I will look at KDE4 when it comes out. It is all Linux, and I think choice is a wonderful thing. I do not believe that one is "better" than the other. They are just different. Use whatever you are most comfortable with. :)

Rupertronco
October 4th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Agreed. I'm also curious as to what the point of this post is. Curiosity? Because I don't think you can get any objective information out of it. A primary reason for the existence of multiple desktop environments in Linux is the ability to appeal to specific users for specific needs and preferences. That being said, who cares what everyone else is using?

Here's an idea: use what you like best, and what helps you accomplish your computing tasks most effectively.

Anyway, I think it's best to have a couple of environments installed. Currently I have Fluxbox for pure productivity and speed, Enlightenment for a fresh look with a bit of bling, and Gnome with Compiz-Fusion for showing off the system and appealing to the eye.

snickers295
October 4th, 2007, 08:03 PM
KDE was, sadly, not stable enough on my system. I work a lot with IMAP servers, and KMail does not handle them well and is somewhat crashy (Evolution does significantly better). I also had KOffice close on me a few times. I could use Evolution in KDE, but it is better integrated in Gnome/Ubuntu.

. I like KDE's software integration, but there are some design decisions that I feel a little tedious to me (i.e. "x" closing a Window does not exit the application), though most of them can tweaked and adjusted. Things often seemed a bit "busy".

I will look at KDE4 when it comes out. It is all Linux, and I think choice is a wonderful thing. I do not believe that one is "better" than the other. They are just different. Use whatever you are most comfortable with. :)
i agree with you about all of the above but evolution if very crashy for me so i use thunderbird instead. your right about kde being crashy because its always been crashy for me. kde is good gnome is good but its all linux (and it dosn't cost $300:).

mivo
October 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Really? Evolution has been rock stable for me so far. IMAP support is excellent, and very speedy. I only have about 600 MB of imported mail, so not sure if the performance will break in later on (I recall Outlook 2000 collapsing once the mail file was over 2 GB -- that was the last version of Outlook I used). So far, Evolution works well, though I miss some features that KMail has. I like its ability to turn an email into a task, though -- always missed that in other PIMs. :) (I use Evolution 2.12, cannot comment on older versions.)

snickers295
October 4th, 2007, 09:55 PM
fi
Really? Evolution has been rock stable for me so far. IMAP support is excellent, and very speedy. I only have about 600 MB of imported mail, so not sure if the performance will break in later on (I recall Outlook 2000 collapsing once the mail file was over 2 GB -- that was the last version of Outlook I used). So far, Evolution works well, though I miss some features that KMail has. I like its ability to turn an email into a task, though -- always missed that in other PIMs. :) (I use Evolution 2.12, cannot comment on older versions.)
when i first open evolution i click address book and it bugged up and slowed down the whole system