PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] A program for document management?

asdir
October 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
What I am looking for is a program which which helps me keeping track of hundreds of pdfs I have to read for my thesis.

I imagine there must be something out there that allows me to make a list of pdfs and than allows me give them certain tags according to their content. (say, "about democracy" "about economy" "empirics" "regional" "international"etc.) Then it should allow me to sort them by tags. Is such a program out there? Or maybe something similar? (I tried treeline already, but that did not work, it is too hierarchical)

Thanks for any suggestion people!

Herman
October 2nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Hello asdir,
A favorite trick of mine is to use Kompozer (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kompozer)to make a personal customized jump-off page for my Firefox web browser, and then I add links in it to documents in my computer. You'll probably see what I mean after you give Kompozer a try for a while. It's quite simple to use.

That way the links in my jump-off page can be indexed in groups according to any way I decide to categorize them. I can edit that any time I like with Kompozer.

I keep most of my information in .html files which I also make with Kompozer, and I find that a very good way to organize my computer. I can find all my information very fast!
I just have one directory for all my .html files and another one full of .pdf files, there is no need to sort the files themselves at all.
I just tested it to see if the same idea will work for my .pdf file collection and it works just as well for .pdfs as it does for .html files! :)

To add your own personal jump-off page to your Firefox web browser, just open Firefox and click 'Edit'-->'Preferences', and select the 'Main' button. Then in the 'HomePage' field add the path to your own personally customized home page, (or 'jump-off page', like this:

file:///home/herman/documents/html_files/HermansHomePage.htmlOf course you can also just use Firefox bookmarks to do the same thing too if you prefer, they don't have to point to files on the internet, they can be used to point to files inside you own computer just as well.

I hope you'll find that as helpful as I do,
Regards, Herman :)

machoo02
October 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
How about Referencer (http://icculus.org/referencer/)?

Durden10
October 2nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
I tried referencer for a while, unfortunately it doesnt work anymore... It used to get bibliographic references automatically from the web (or from crossref.org), but instead I get an error message. This is because crossref.org have removed anonymous access to metadata, so you have to have an account or work offline....

asdir
October 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
You just have to love open source: Someone always thought of the problem before and solved it, you just have to pick up the program from a server.
Referencer is exactly the thing I was looking for. Like Durden10 I have problems with bibliographic references, but that is not a major setback for me, since the thing I was really looking for were tags.
What bothers me a little, however, is the ability to highlight more than one tag at once. I would expect to be given an intersection of the documents with all highlighted tags; instead I get all documents with at least one of the tags.

Anyway, thanks machoo02. :)

one_ro
October 6th, 2007, 11:21 PM
You could also try JabRef, it's simply the best program for maintaining a bibliography.
Be aware though, JabRef is destined to work with LaTeX, which I HIGHLY recommend to write a PhD, instead of Office suites.

Hth,
Adrian

seboals
November 26th, 2007, 04:53 AM
There are so many options...I have a bunch listed on my links page:

http://www.scanguru.com/e107_plugins/links_page/links.php?cat.13

The last link will bring you to a page where you can try out all the options.

asdir
July 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM
In case someone is interested: In the meantime I tested some possibilities. Among those were
- JabRef
- Referencer
- bibus
- Zotero

Among those I found Zotero to be the most complete. It includes all features all other programs have (or at least a workable substitute for them, depending on your expectation) and at least one important feature that the others did not have: It retrieves information from any given webpage with literature on it automatically.

There are some issues with Zotero though, but I am confident that even those (rather minor issues) will be solved since Zotero seems to have serious backing not only by its community but also by academic sponsors.

BTW: Why would you recommend LaTeX over OOo? Doesn't that depend on the thesis? (I don't know LaTeX very well, but I heard that it is more useful for natural science theses, but not for social topics.)

one_ro
July 18th, 2008, 10:52 AM
BTW: Why would you recommend LaTeX over OOo? Doesn't that depend on the thesis? (I don't know LaTeX very well, but I heard that it is more useful for natural science theses, but not for social topics.)

I believe it doesn't matter whether it is natural or social sciences. LaTeX is simply better for writing books, or PhD theses, or any complex document with more than 100 pages.
It is not only the symbols or the formulas, but the structure of the chapters, automatic (re)numbering, automatic page formatting, automatic bibliographic referencing and so on.
Just give it try and see the results for yourself. I wrote mine in LaTeX and I can definitely say I'm glad to have done so.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, I come from the social sciences myself...

Cheers,
Adrian