PDA

View Full Version : linux applications

cjnkns
September 29th, 2007, 03:40 AM
First I'd like to say I am not trying to complain about linux - i enjoy using it and am very grateful for the hard work people have done to create such a fine piece of work.

BUT - what I would like to say is that I feel that linux needs a bit more direction. Some of the applications I install from synaptic look like they were developed by a college student in their spare time. LIke the theme preferences application in gnome or the Network Tools application.

It seems to me like the applications on windows look more professional or clean or provide more functionality than some of the applications i have found on linux.

Linux is more secure, almost no virus or spyware garbage to worry about but if there is no direction or professionalism in the way applications are built for it where will it go? It has gotten better much better but I just wanted to put this out there see what others thought.

PurposeOfReason
September 29th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Most of the programs I use look just fine. Swiftdove, swiftweasel, even XMMS if skinned right look very nice. Songbird easily is as nice as itunes (assuming you like itues :D). Network tools and theme config actually look alright.At least to me.

Dr Small
September 29th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Linux is bilt by techies that just write programs to get the job done, without all of the professionalism about it. Alot of us just use the command line, as it is much faster, and don't have to worry about GUI.

But there are developing teams out there, who like to hear your opinion, and fix the bugs to make things better.

Dr Small

llamakc
September 29th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Okay. Learn how to fix it to your liking and do it. We would all reap the benefits of your hard work.

jdrodrig
September 29th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Okay. Learn how to fix it to your liking and do it. We would all reap the benefits of your hard work.

Well, this is getting really to close to home...relax...

I would just say that one of the cost of having the ability of everyone changing source code is that it is hard to impose any uniformity on interfaces or design....you get in general, software that is biased toward scientific, 100% functional, with no *unnecessary* niceties, because that is what most people come to linux for...

For me the benefits for what I do (Fortran programming) outweigh this cost...

D.

cjnkns
September 29th, 2007, 03:49 AM
There is no reason to be a wise acre llamakc I was just making conversation.

llamakc
September 29th, 2007, 03:51 AM
There is no reason to be a wise acre llamakc I was just making conversation.

I'm not. I'm sincere. There is no reason to tilt at windmills, either.

As previously mentioned by somebody else, the design team(s) can ALWAYS use input. Good luck, sincerely.

Linux_Man
September 29th, 2007, 03:55 AM
The reason is that most of Linux is command line based. You create a solid command line app then build a GUI for it, not the other way around. That means that a GUI is second priority. Its alot nicer to have a command line tool that does the job well (Ping, apt-get, vi, nano) then GUI tools that don't hardly work (think of Vista) GUIs are NOT the application, they are even sometimes third party extensions such as Synaptic is a nice front-end to apt-get, and Qemu Launcher is a 3rd party extension to Qemu. Although GUIs are nice, they are no substitute for well coded applications, Sure they might not look the best but quality of code comes first and thats why Linux is overtaking Windows.

Shazaam
September 29th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Not being a wiseguy but llamakc is somewhat correct. Windows was developed by a corporation with nothing but PROFIT in mind. Linux was developed (ongoing) by a large majority of users who could care less about any profit. Thats the beauty of it. If you don't like it you are free to change it or write your own code for what you want.

FuturePilot
September 29th, 2007, 03:59 AM
A lot of the developers do their coding in their spare time. They don't get paid for it so they have to have a job to make money somehow.

conehead77
September 29th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Some of the applications I install from synaptic look like they were developed by a college student in their spare time.
I could be wrong, but i think some of the applications actually are developed by college students in their spare time :)