PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu vs. Windows vs. Mac

paul.r.stoner
September 29th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I have seen at lease a few hundred articles on the web; those pro-Windows, anti-Windows, pro-open-source, anti-open source, pro-mac, anti-mac, you get the idea...

I guess the question I have in the back of my head, is why do people not take the leap into an operating system like Ubuntu? There are far too many reasons to list as to why people should make the switch. With a little imagination and a little tweaking, you can do anything + MORE than Windows or Mac can do, PLUS run most of your Windows Games using Wine...

Just wanted to throw that out there and see the responses to this 'social' query...

Mazza558
September 29th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I guess there's a few reasons why this is the case. Firstly, there's the hardware which may not be supported (esp. wireless), then there's programs which are designed specifically for Windows/OSX, which don't work on Wine, and finally, there's the lack of awareness.

bruce89
September 29th, 2007, 12:36 AM
People use what comes with their computer.

Rupertronco
September 29th, 2007, 12:41 AM
People use what comes with their computer.
Amen.

People are familiar with WIndows and the nature of people dictates that they do not like, and in some cases even fear change.

holiday
September 29th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Many people don't want to do so much more. They want web browsing, email, maybe some photos. The computer you buy in the store will do that no matter what OS you have.

Sure you could set up your Gran with Ubuntu and she'd probably never know the difference - until her sound stops working, as it probably will, or she stumbles onto an IE-only site. Also probably.

I don't need Linux to take over the world. I like it that we're a little enclave of people who love it enough to actually enjoy the customization - and the problems. Gran just wants her email and to click on the links and to have them work. Sure ok viruses, but at least she doesn't have to put up with script kiddies hammering her ssh.

Our problem is not market share, but keeping Linux strong and lively for those of us who do love it.

Peace, Brother.

aysiu
September 29th, 2007, 01:17 AM
It's a combination of one or more of the following:

1. They have no idea Ubuntu exists
2. They don't know what an operating system is. There are "PCs" and "Macs," and that's about it. They can't afford a "Mac," so they buy a "PC" (which really means a Windows PC).
3. They know about Ubuntu but are afraid to try something new
4. They know about Ubuntu but think open source software is inferior in quality to proprietary software
5. They know about Ubuntu but realize switching operating systems requires time and a willingness to learn new things, and they're smart enough to realize they don't have either
6. They have actually tried Ubuntu, thought it would be a free version of Windows, and then returned to Windows disappointed
7. They have special software needs Ubuntu cannot fulfill (Windows-only programs or Windows-only games that do not run well in Cedega or Wine)
8. They use Windows and are actually happy with it
9. They use Mac and are actually happy with it

n3tfury
September 29th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I have seen at lease a few hundred articles on the web; those pro-Windows, anti-Windows, pro-open-source, anti-open source, pro-mac, anti-mac, you get the idea...

I guess the question I have in the back of my head, is why do people not take the leap into an operating system like Ubuntu? There are far too many reasons to list as to why people should make the switch. With a little imagination and a little tweaking, you can do anything + MORE than Windows or Mac can do, PLUS run most of your Windows Games using Wine...

Just wanted to throw that out there and see the responses to this 'social' query...

familiarity: most people don't like change. alot of people that actually did switch to ubuntu seem to have done so because they got tired of bsod's, spyware, virii, malware, etc. although that's not entirely MS's fault (let's not get into this here)

Coldkill
September 29th, 2007, 01:41 AM
And then of course there are the select few that like to say something bad about another OS without even trying it

n3tfury
September 29th, 2007, 02:05 AM
and those that will say something bad about an OS because they think they can click on any website/hyperlink/executable and nothing bad should ever happen.

50words
September 29th, 2007, 03:02 AM
There is no reason not to try the OS. There are a lot of good reasons not to switch to it.

For the "basic" user, Ubuntu does everything Windows or Mac OSX can do. For someone who uses their computer in a professional capacity, Ubuntu and Linux generally fall short.

For example, Windows software like Outlook is fantastic. Anyone who really needs to organize their professional life needs a PIM, and Evolution is close, but not quite good enough.

(In my opinion,) Windows versions of things like TrueCrypt and KeePass are far superior to their Linux counterparts. Notepad++ is also better than any Linux text editor.

Plus--and I hope this will change--document scanning support in Linux is clunky and inconvenient. If I want to use Ubuntu in my professional work, I need it to support my Fujitsu ScanSnap fully, including "push-button" scanning.

Lack of multi-monitor support is another problem. If Linux is cutting edge, why is it so difficult to manage a paperless office in Linux? A paperless office is impossible without smooth scanner support and multiple monitors.

BUT--I love Ubuntu, and keep trying to make it work. One of these days, I will be able to switch completely. System-wide tagging support would be an awesome, bleeding-edge OS enhancement that would mean I got more by switching than I lost by leaving Windows.

In the meantime, I actually like Windows (except for the stupidly long boot times), and don't mind using it at all.

misfitpierce
September 29th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Windows is the familiar fan base sadly. Mac's are growing to the multimedia and teen department with their edgy commcercials and such. Then you have Ubuntu... A glourious OS understated in it's time. Now with even better hardware support than ever in gutsy yet still not advertised. Truth be it a lot of people still think linux is command line ran and until that is shown and proven to people a lot will still think "He uses linux... must be a hacker or something". I hear that a lot really and it is funny. I think that within a year we will see a large improvment in the linux community as more people are starting to read about it and understand how it has evolved. It's not a matter of Why... but rather a matter of When? :)

Dimitriid
September 29th, 2007, 04:08 AM
There is no reason not to try the OS. There are a lot of good reasons not to switch to it.

For the "basic" user, Ubuntu does everything Windows or Mac OSX can do. For someone who uses their computer in a professional capacity, Ubuntu and Linux generally fall short.

For example, Windows software like Outlook is fantastic. .

Am I the only one who stopped here to laugh? Seriously you could have so easily said "Photoshop" or "Autocad", why ruin your argument with such a piece of crap like Outlook?

n3tfury
September 29th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Am I the only one who stopped here to laugh? Seriously you could have so easily said "Photoshop" or "Autocad", why ruin your argument with such a piece of crap like Outlook?

it's not a piece of crap in the corporate world. next question.

p_quarles
September 29th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Notepad++ is also better than any Linux text editor.
I agree with pretty much everything else you said, but this is just factually wrong. Vi and Emacs are both far more capable text editors, either in their CLI or GUI versions. What's more, Notepad++ is more or less a Windows port of SciTE, which is available in the repos.

If you want to combine power with a small learning curve, get Kate.

Notepad++, which I use, is certainly the best MS-based text editor, but isn't anywhere close to the best *nix-based editors.

50words
September 29th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Notepad++ is more or less a Windows port of SciTE, which is available in the repos.

If this is true, you have just made me a happy boy. I like Scribes a lot, too, but something I can't put my finger on is just missing. Vi and Emacs are great for devs, but suck for regular users. I stand by the rest. For the serious professional/corporate user (I am a solo attorney who needs efficiency first and foremost), Ubuntu is almost there, but not quite.

(For my comments on Outlook, I don't think most Linux users have the same organizational/PIM requirements as I or many other professional/corporate users do. I need to track tasks, appointments, contacts, and e-mails all in one place. Outlook does that really well. Evolution is clunky by comparison. The KDE apps are a bit better, but not much, and not as good as Outlook.)

wersdaluv
September 29th, 2007, 07:58 AM
It's a combination of one or more of the following:

1. They have no idea Ubuntu exists
2. They don't know what an operating system is. There are "PCs" and "Macs," and that's about it. They can't afford a "Mac," so they buy a "PC" (which really means a Windows PC).
3. They know about Ubuntu but are afraid to try something new
4. They know about Ubuntu but think open source software is inferior in quality to proprietary software
5. They know about Ubuntu but realize switching operating systems requires time and a willingness to learn new things, and they're smart enough to realize they don't have either
6. They have actually tried Ubuntu, thought it would be a free version of Windows, and then returned to Windows disappointed
7. They have special software needs Ubuntu cannot fulfill (Windows-only programs or Windows-only games that do not run well in Cedega or Wine)
8. They use Windows and are actually happy with it
9. They use Mac and are actually happy with it

Amen!

TedGarvin
September 29th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I've installed Ubuntu on two different computers for people and they both went back to windows. When I asked why, they both missed gaming. One wanted games that wouldn't work in Linux at all and the other liked the look of their online backgammon game that was downloaded from MSN. Yeah, she knew that their were several for Ubuntu, but they seemed "flat" visually.
In my opinion, they both also felt uncomfortable with the change that comes with a new OS. Too much new stuff to learn and I understand. Linux is a challenge for a new user, especially someone who isn't into computers at all and just wants to play some games and go online. It has made amazing strides, but it's still a system for geeks. I think people are willing to accept viruses and security holes and don't care much about an outfit in Redmond controlling their PCs. I'm sure they think, "Well if this is so good, why do we still use Windows at work?".
The one thing that they both agreed on was that if given the choice of either paying for XP or installing Ubuntu free, they would go with Ubuntu. If you target the beginning user or offer a lower cost on a pc with Ubuntu, more people would migrate over. I don't know it that's a good thing or not, but if that's your goal, I feel that would be the way to do it.

bapoumba
September 29th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Moved to "Recurring Discussions".

That IT Guy
June 1st, 2010, 06:59 AM
On the intellectual sense, coming from a windows world user. It comes down to knowledge of how something works, than what you know does work. In a windows enviroment I know how to address what issues and where. Since i have installed ubuntu 10.04 im out in the woods.

People generally dont want to relearn an OS and choose to stick with what they know works, entertains them and even is more stable/reliable. Windows Xp is my comfortable windows world. But I chose linux, mainly to challenge myself and learn something which has so far been a pleasant experience.

People Fear Change.

cre8ive65
July 20th, 2010, 12:08 AM

For example, Windows software like Outlook is fantastic. Anyone who really needs to organize their professional life needs a PIM, and Evolution is close, but not quite good enough.

(In my opinion,) Windows versions of things like TrueCrypt and KeePass are far superior to their Linux counterparts. Notepad++ is also better than any Linux text editor.

Plus--and I hope this will change--document scanning support in Linux is clunky and inconvenient. If I want to use Ubuntu in my professional work, I need it to support my Fujitsu ScanSnap fully, including "push-button" scanning.

Lack of multi-monitor support is another problem. If Linux is cutting edge, why is it so difficult to manage a paperless office in Linux? A paperless office is impossible without smooth scanner support and multiple monitors.

BUT--I love Ubuntu, and keep trying to make it work. One of these days, I will be able to switch completely. System-wide tagging support would be an awesome, bleeding-edge OS enhancement that would mean I got more by switching than I lost by leaving Windows.

In the meantime, I actually like Windows (except for the stupidly long boot times), and don't mind using it at all.

Well that just because Microsoft has enough money to buy millions of programmers to make a program only to sell it, make more money, and the process repeats.

Also i treat Ubuntu like my little corner of computing heaven. Ubuntu also is like the command communist thing that is not made for money, but to benefit the community while microsoft is more market based, makeing programs only for their own benifits. Not that i want to dive into politics.