PDA

View Full Version : a week in Windows after a year of linux..

heathen
September 24th, 2007, 02:06 AM
I gave linux its first real shot on my computer in June 0f 06 with Ubuntu Dapper Drake. I took a grand total of 3 weeks to decide to remove the XP install and reclaim the rest of my hard drive. Since then I’ve grown a lot in my linux experience and come to really enjoy working with my system.

Last week tragedy happened. My beloved Toshiba let the magic smoke out. I was really sad, so I went computer shopping. Well, I don’t currently have the funds to replace the laptop so, My wonderful wife said she would make a 6hour round trip drive with the kids to bring me hers. Now, my wife doesn’t use linux, and until they make a viable Photoshop alternative, she wont make the jump. Her computer, her rules. So, I didn’t install Ubuntu on it like I wanted to. I knew jumping into linux that it would work differently than windows. So taking the time to learn how it worked was not a big deal. Now, I’m suddenly being thrown back to an OS I haven’t used in over a year and doesn’t work the way I expect.

I’ve come to realize that I no longer like Windows. There are little things, like highlighting text and using the middle mouse button to paste them. I miss Openbox’s right click menu. I miss 30 second boot times. I miss not having to wait 4 minutes every time I open my .doc format time-sheets so that the virus scan can run. I miss my console (oh urxvt how I love thee, let me count the ways….)

Thank god for little comforts though. OO.o has a Windows port. As does the GIMP. Firefox of course works on windows. I also found an Irssi port thanks to Cygwin and PuTTY.

All in all, I have to say, Windows may be the dominant OS. But I don’t foresee myself using it again in my future.

starcraft.man
September 24th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Now, my wife doesn’t use linux, and until they make a viable Photoshop alternative, she wont make the jump. Her computer, her rules. So, I didn’t install Ubuntu on it like I wanted to. I knew jumping into linux that it would work differently than windows. So taking the time to learn how it worked was not a big deal. Now, I’m suddenly being thrown back to an OS I haven’t used in over a year and doesn’t work the way I expect.

Well, why don't you just show her how to use a VM? That's a decent solution if PS is the only application you need in Windows. Long as you have a reasonably recent machine with something like a C2D, you could probably get pretty good performance. VMware Server (Workstation if you don't mind spending and what their flag ship) or Virtual Box are both good solutions.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh and I concur, I haven't been with Linux for a year yet but I do know it's not easy booting back up Windows.

heathen
September 24th, 2007, 02:22 AM
we dont have any full blown coppies of windows, every thing is OEM...
I havent had luck getting that to install in a VM... It's probably just me..

the lappy is a Compaq with a turion64 chip in it.... it only has 512 ram, i'm not sure that running windows and PS in a vm would really be a viable solution...

I never said it was a good reason to stay in windows, but arguing with a woman is as bad as arguing on the internet (worse when she's your wife... there's no way to win hehe)

starcraft.man
September 24th, 2007, 02:31 AM
we dont have any full blown coppies of windows, every thing is OEM...
I havent had luck getting that to install in a VM... It's probably just me..

the lappy is a Compaq with a turion64 chip in it.... it only has 512 ram, i'm not sure that running windows and PS in a vm would really be a viable solution...

I see. That machine is a bit underpowered to run a full VM with PS. My old P4 does it fine but I have a full GB of DDR and dedicate about half to it. You could probably pull it off well if you at least doubled the RAM, and gave half like me to the machine. RAM is cheap too now, so if your laptop is easily upgradeable (most have accessible slots on bottom I believe) it'd be a good investment I imagine (in terms of host and VM).

I never said it was a good reason to stay in windows, but arguing with a woman is as bad as arguing on the internet (worse when she's your wife... there's no way to win hehe)

Hehehe, I guess I solved that by staying a bachelor so far with no plans for any women soon.

heathen
September 24th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I see. That machine is a bit underpowered to run a full VM with PS. My old P4 does it fine but I have a full GB of DDR and dedicate about half to it. You could probably pull it off well if you at least doubled the RAM, and gave half like me to the machine. RAM is cheap too now, so if your laptop is easily upgradeable (most have accessible slots on bottom I believe) it'd be a good investment I imagine (in terms of host and VM).

Hehehe, I guess I solved that by staying a bachelor so far with no plans for any women soon.

lucky bachelor...

Ram is pretty cheap now, it might be an option after i finish paying off my truck.. stupid priorities....

Kingsley
September 24th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Get versatile, man. Your favorite OS or defaults isn't going to be on every computer you come into contact with in this world. I think the best computer users are those that can be equally productive and comfortable on any OS that has updated software.

starcraft.man
September 24th, 2007, 03:00 AM
lucky bachelor...

Yup, life's good :). Oh and good luck with the situation, I'm sure you'll be able to soldier on.

Crashmaxx
September 24th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Dude, Live CD or flash drive. Then you can use Linux regardless of the machine and without installing it.

Lucifiel
September 24th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Dude, Live CD or flash drive. Then you can use Linux regardless of the machine and without installing it.

Wolvix comes to mind. It allows you to load settings from a loop file(I advise at least 1gb to 2gb minimum if you want to store all those settings).

heathen
September 24th, 2007, 03:23 AM
tried with knoppix and a ubuntu 7.04 cd, neither would load X because of the nvidia graphics card... also, i couldnt get the BCM wifi to work with ndiswrapper.. since the hotel i currently live in only has wifi, im kinda screwed until i get home.

Frak
September 24th, 2007, 05:34 AM
What Nvidia card do you have?

Kratos
September 24th, 2007, 06:30 AM
On the train of using Windows after long 'vacatons' away from it; I dual-boot Windows XP with my primarily used copy of Kubuntu Feisty. While I love Kubuntu when it comes to doing any real work, I have to confess that I'm equally comfortable in Windows when I boot in for my gaming binges. There are some things I miss in Windows-land, but I manage.

Maybe, someday, I'll give up on Windows and prune that bothersome NTFS partition from my disc drive. But, that won't happen anytime soon.

To be honest, though, I feel it's a bit healthy to be a bit more diverse in one's knowledge of computing. I remember hearing on "The Linux Action Show" (a podcast I frequently listen to) that people are becoming "polarized" in their software choices. Meaning, Apple users all congregate in one corner, Windows users in another and FOSS in another. I feel that I'm safe taking the middle-ground. It presents a benefit in the knowledge of how to use more than one tool. Say you're looking for a carpenter. You have three choices. One knows how to use a jigsaw, one a bandsaw, the other, both. You'll likely want the one with the most knowledge of the three. Seeing as I'm looking to make a career in tech, it makes sense to be knowledgable of all three major (well, one major and two semi-major :/ ) platforms.

BoyOfDestiny
September 24th, 2007, 07:43 AM
On the train of using Windows after long 'vacatons' away from it; I dual-boot Windows XP with my primarily used copy of Kubuntu Feisty. While I love Kubuntu when it comes to doing any real work, I have to confess that I'm equally comfortable in Windows when I boot in for my gaming binges. There are some things I miss in Windows-land, but I manage.

Maybe, someday, I'll give up on Windows and prune that bothersome NTFS partition from my disc drive. But, that won't happen anytime soon.

To be honest, though, I feel it's a bit healthy to be a bit more diverse in one's knowledge of computing. I remember hearing on "The Linux Action Show" (a podcast I frequently listen to) that people are becoming "polarized" in their software choices. Meaning, Apple users all congregate in one corner, Windows users in another and FOSS in another. I feel that I'm safe taking the middle-ground. It presents a benefit in the knowledge of how to use more than one tool. Say you're looking for a carpenter. You have three choices. One knows how to use a jigsaw, one a bandsaw, the other, both. You'll likely want the one with the most knowledge of the three. Seeing as I'm looking to make a career in tech, it makes sense to be knowledgable of all three major (well, one major and two semi-major :/ ) platforms.

One thing I think is notable with FOSS, is that more often than not you can run it on several OS's, platforms, architectures, etc. Not sure if that's being diverse exactly, but there is no lock-in.

Meaning, if I had to use something or than a Linux distro: Windows, OS X, or a open source OS's like OpenSolaris or BSD... I wouldn't run into as many walls when it comes to apps... Would users used to the proprietary choices be as comfortable? People know their apps, and I think many get stuck when their favorite app doesn't have a version for another OS, or perhaps the Free alternative just doesn't cut it...

When I switched to Ubuntu I was happy to have OOo, zsnes, GIMP, privoxy, firefox, vlc, etc. and found other great apps. It made moving over a lot easier for me...

Point: You can use other OS's other than your favorite(s), but it doesn't mean you have to LIKE it. :) Especially if you are used to things being open IMHO. ;)

:popcorn:

heathen
September 24th, 2007, 08:42 PM
If I still used windows on a day to day basis (i.e. at work) it wouldn't be a big deal. But since I'm one of the few around these parts that doesn't use computers in my day to day working environment (thank god) I havent had any need or desire to use windows. The point would be more valid if I actually had need for a computer for anything other than recreational use.