PDA

View Full Version : Education/Large Scale Deployment

cjdevlin
September 21st, 2007, 03:02 AM
Hello,
Just wondering what software people were using to control modifications to the hard drive. Cornerstone is a windows based version of what I am looking for. Network booting seems like an ok option, but I would like the machines to be able to stand alone.

Thanks

UbuWu
September 21st, 2007, 11:33 PM
What exactly do you want to do? To restrict what files users can use/modify, just create a restricted user account. If you want to set a limit on their disk usage, install quota to set disk quotas for them.

hsweet
September 23rd, 2007, 04:19 AM
You might want to check out Edubuntu and LTSP. No local hard drives to worry about users changing, no client configuration at all.

If you want stand alone's I think there is a kisok mode you can set up if you use KDE

cjdevlin
September 25th, 2007, 02:13 AM
What I am really looking for is something to negate any writes to the hard disk. I just want students to be able to use email, ooo, and have access to their directory (using samba).

lisati
September 25th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Just a thought: if your students are "doing email", you'll probably need some provision for cookies being used with webmail - there'd be no point if someone signed in, and then lost their session because of disk modirifcations being undone.