PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Official Xfire with wine

dutch_boi1
September 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Hey well i hope this will work for everyone else, could someone please test it, i have gottin Xfire working under my Ubuntu Studio using the wine from the repo's. PLease comment :).

Well first of all u must install Wine so pop open a console
$ sudo apt-get install wine
(provide password)

Everything should install well now just to open the Wine Configuration
$ winecfg

Just go through here, reading other posts ofcourse on how to set this up to ur liking.

Now navigate to ur wine installation direction.
Usually in ur home folder as a hidden folder eg,
$ cd /home/user_name/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/

now from there u need to download this file : http://www.filefactory.com/file/d24c83/
This is my current and latest xfire i am using. I can confirm that this works under wine. I will post screenshots a bit later! :D.

Now u must extract it, Preferably to the folder called Xfire.
Once this is extracted just go into the folder to make sure everything is there.

Once that is done change directory through ur console, or just in the file manager and go
$ wine xfire.exe

With me this worked fine. I never actually installed it as thats where i was getting stuck. So i copied and pasted the whole xfire folder over from my windows drive and bam it worked!.

I hope this works for other people too. If it does please tell me so. The only one issue i have gottin is the menu text doesnt fully display. Just make sure u have all the common fonts installed for wine otherwise u won see anytext. What i did was install all the fonts from my windows drive.

If anyone wants to help me figure out the menu text then please be my guest. Oh and xfire recognises my Counter Strike Source installed with wine!. :)

Farsyte
June 4th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Now navigate to ur wine installation direction.
Usually in ur home folder as a hidden folder eg,
$ cd /home/user_name/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/

now from there u need to download this file : http://www.filefactory.com/file/d24c83/
This is my current and latest xfire i am using. I can confirm that this works under wine. I will post screenshots a bit later! :D.

The link you gave into filefactory does not work -- expired or removed.
What was that file that needs to be installed?

My XFire installation starts, but crashes the first time I click
on the login window or the register window -- I can type
just fine, but if I click the mouse, it crashes.

I was hoping that, whatever the file is you are saying we need
to download, it would fix that problem ...

hikaricore
June 4th, 2009, 05:46 AM
This thread is nearly two years old, it's no wonder the link is dead.

bapoumba
June 4th, 2009, 09:06 PM
This thread is nearly two years old, it's no wonder the link is dead.
+1. Closing the thread, thanks :)