PDA

View Full Version : Steam - Wine - OSS: No sound using OSS

OffHand
September 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Hi All,

I got Steam and Steam games like Half Life 2 running with sound using ALSA. Unfortunately ALSA crashes/freezes the games. I tried to use OSS but OSS does not give me any sound at all. Is there any way I can use the OSS sound drivers and get sound?

Thanks in advance,

OffHand

OffHand
September 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Not solved. I think I did put it back to ALSA last night.

Ferrat
September 14th, 2007, 10:34 PM
try installing ALSA-OSS from synaptic if you don't have it, could help

OffHand
September 15th, 2007, 08:49 AM
try installing ALSA-OSS from synaptic if you don't have it, could help

alsa-oss is installed already. And I know it works because the cat /dev/urandom >> /dev/dsp gives me a static noise.

OffHand
September 16th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Anyone? I know OSS works because I am able to play hear sound when I play music in my music player.

ubu-for
September 18th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Unfortunately ALSA crashes/freezes the games. I tried to use OSS but OSS does not give me any sound at all.

I have the same problem since the last Steam update couple days ago.

wana10
September 19th, 2007, 12:34 AM
i was having that same problem. i found that if i started a web-stream through mplayer in the terminal i would hear sound in steam games, but i didn't like this solution as i wanted to listen to the sound of the games without background music. so here's what i did. pull up a terminal and run 'winecfg' go to the audio tab, unclick everything except alsa. on the bottom set sample rate to 48000 , hardware accel to full, and driver emulation is not clicked. now your results may vary but this did it for me and i once again get full sound in all steam programs.

nchase
September 19th, 2007, 05:44 AM
i was having that same problem. i found that if i started a web-stream through mplayer in the terminal i would hear sound in steam games, but i didn't like this solution as i wanted to listen to the sound of the games without background music. so here's what i did. pull up a terminal and run 'winecfg' go to the audio tab, unclick everything except alsa. on the bottom set sample rate to 48000 , hardware accel to full, and driver emulation is not clicked. now your results may vary but this did it for me and i once again get full sound in all steam programs.

This seems to have worked for me. Thanks a lot!

OffHand
September 19th, 2007, 12:39 PM
ALSA works without a problem. It is OSS that refuses t work with WINE.

bsmith
September 20th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Hey, I've been having the same problems, until the latest steam update hl2 has been working awesomely, but now if I run it with OSS I have no sound with the following error in the console

Failed to write block to device

And if I try to run using ALSA it works fine until i turn the Shadow detail to high (it will run, but freezes).

It looks fugly without the Shadow detail on High, any ideas on a solution, Thanks in advance.

bsmith
September 20th, 2007, 05:04 AM
I seem to have fixed the problem by forcing a lower dx level using

-dxlevel 70

So I'm not sure if the crashing is related to the sound issues.

ubu-for
September 20th, 2007, 09:12 PM

ALSA-OSS and your tips don't work for me!

anemptygun
October 5th, 2007, 12:38 AM

Im gonna try this out, thanks in advance if it works.

ubu-for
October 5th, 2007, 12:17 PM
With Win98 CSS didn't crash very often, but since the new Steam update Win98 is not supported any longer.

So I've switched to WinXP and Vista, but now CSS freezes within 5 minutes.

I need OSS back!

anemptygun
October 6th, 2007, 11:49 PM
With Win98 CSS didn't crash very often, but since the new Steam update Win98 is not supported any longer.

So I've switched to WinXP and Vista, but now CSS freezes within 5 minutes.

I need OSS back!

I have the exact same problem. PLEASE HELP[-o<

ubu-for
October 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM
ALSA works here with Wine 0.9.44 and WinXP mode.

anemptygun
October 7th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Was wine updated as well?

ubu-for
October 7th, 2007, 04:37 PM
The current Wine version is 0.9.46 and I've downgraded to 0.9.44 (http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html), but it still crashes sometimes.

anemptygun
October 8th, 2007, 06:42 AM
The current Wine version is 0.9.46 and I've downgraded to 0.9.44 (http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html), but it still crashes sometimes.

do i need to manually installed the update? because synaptic is not recognizing there is an update.

I am on 0.9.33

OffHand
October 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM
do i need to manually installed the update? because synaptic is not recognizing there is an update.

I am on 0.9.33

He is using the version from the WINE repositories...

ubu-for
October 8th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I've posted a bug report at launchpad.net, so if you would like to add some further informations, please use the following link.

Bug #150575 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/150575)

peabody
October 14th, 2007, 12:04 PM
A thing to try is the alsa-oss package. Install that, then run steam from the command prompt:

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam
aoss wine steam

That got the original half-life working with oss. HL2 never worked with OSS for me, I had to use alsa. Playing with the sound settings in winecfg can prove fruitful. Main thing is to make sure Hardware acceleration is set to emulation if you have a crappy soundcard (like I do).

Running Half-Life 2 just fine with alsa here on a POS intel i950. Believe it or not, the game is somewhat playable on this thing.

sardiax
October 16th, 2007, 04:46 AM
i'm fairly new to linux so i don't understand the underlying mechanisms, but lately i've had problems with steam itself like stealing the oss sound focus. the solution i found was basically to setup wine to use oss. launch a music player - or some other app to block steam from using oss. launch steam, close the music player, and then launch the game - half-life, team fortress, tf2 etc. it's the only way i can seem to get sound working in-game. maybe this'll help some of you other guys, but i'm sure there's a better way to stop steam from blocking the games off, i'm just not knowledgable enough about the underlying sound system.

jakommo
October 19th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem, i've installed alsa-oss and applied the setting posted here and now it works.

thank you very much indeed.

ubu-for
October 20th, 2007, 04:22 PM
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam
aoss wine steam

No difference!

Wine 0.9.44, ALSA and low audio volume settings for CSS works nearly stable.

Norrbagge
October 26th, 2007, 08:41 PM

awesome... i had the problem where i had sound in WoW but not in CS 1,6... I tried this and it works. now i have sound in CS and in WoW... I also want to add that i use 7,10 Gutsy, but did the trick for me... Thanks alot...:guitar:

juamez.
November 10th, 2007, 09:17 PM

This did it for me also.

Using Ubuntu 7.10 and wine version 0.9.46.

MACRI
November 10th, 2007, 09:29 PM
same problems here, going to try wana's solution - will post resaults. thanks guys.

FilmAficionado
November 11th, 2007, 01:44 AM
That fix worked for me as well guys.

But is there a way to notify somebody (a specific bug-report) that we could ALL file in order to get this fixed, so this won't remain the state of gaming under Linux?

stiansoftcore
March 22nd, 2008, 12:36 AM

this worked. Mind if i make a _small_ guide on the ubuntu.no forum? if u say no, I'll still do it :P

Gigopepo
April 25th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Same problem, Steam games doesn't run with sound with ALSA nor OSS.
The weird thing is that when I first installed steam and downloaded my games it worked just fine!

Now I doesn't work...

I just NEED steam games!!!

Using Ubuntu 7.10 64bits.
And I have a fairly good pc...

Gigopepo
May 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Mine is now working!!
Just changed the configuration in the "system > sound" menu to ALSA (instead of "Auto-detect"
And now I have sound with my dear steam games!
(my profile ID is gigopepo bt the way, if anyone wants to play DoD:S, CS:S, CS 1.6 and TF2!!!!)

DocPaine
May 7th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Solved! Thanks for all the advice -- HL, HL:S, HL2, CS, CS:S all working again! Honestly, the only reason I ever boot back into MS anymore is for TES4:Oblivion, DoW, and Bioshock (purchased through Steam but still can't get it working -- but I'll leave that issue for another thread...)

Cheers,

Doc