PDA

View Full Version : Running dialang on Linux... or developing our own port?

ZombiekE
September 13th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Hello,

I am a language student and teacher and I am concerned about the lack of software to evaluate your language level in xBuntu. There's a nice application called Dialang (http://dialang.org) which evaluates your proficiency in 14 different European languages. This software, which is free, is very used at universities and other language centers. I think it gives a rather good assessment about language proficiency. However it's not available for Linux.

I've tried installing and running it using Wine. However, although it was installed properly, it won't work. Has any of you had any better experience in this? I think this program, or something similar should be available, especially for Edubuntu. Do you think there could be a way to make some pressure on them to develop it for Linux? Could we maybe get their code or all their tests and workings and make our own Dialang? I would love to collaborate in this, since it's my field. I think it's important to have this in Edubuntu, otherwise there's yet another thing tying us to Microsoft Windows in educational institutions.

Best regards,

Fernán

mcarro
October 7th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Fernán,

I have stumbled upon the same problem. I tried installing it under Wine and CrossOver (admittedly, no the latest version) to no avail. However, it should not be that difficult. It is just an executable which should presumably launch a (set of) java programs, for which there are open source implementations of virtual machines.

My question, now, would be to know what does the Windows executable exactly do.

ZombiekE
October 7th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah, that would be a great step. Let's hope somebody can help us!

Somebody posted this question as well in Yahoo! Answers a long time before I posted it here.

PeterSchneider
January 20th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Hello,

add the java runtime 1.4.2-b28 with jmf to the Dialang directory and start Dialang with javaw -cp client.jar;comms.jar;crimson.jar;jmf/lib/jmf.jar net.dialang.client.Main

Best regards,

Peter

ZombiekE
January 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Thank you for your answer Peter. Where do I get that file?

tipolosko
February 1st, 2009, 06:30 PM
You can download it from https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewFilteredProducts-SingleVariationTypeFilter
or search for "Download Java(TM) Media Framework (JMF) 2.1.1e for Linux".
There are two versions: please select the Cross-Platform one.

Extract the zip file and copy jmf.jar in dialang installation folder.
then use the following commandline

java -cp client.jar:comms.jar:crimson.jar:jmf.jar net.dialang.client.Main

i'm using sun java runtime environment.

The software seems to start but is in loading state forever.

Feel free to try..

zerwas
February 23rd, 2009, 01:58 AM
Installing Dialang with Wine, extracting the content of the directory "lib" in the ZIP file jmf-2_1_1e-alljava.zip to the directory $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Dialang was enough to get it working.

Starting works by executing

java -cp client.jar:comms.jar:crimson.jar:jmf.jar net.dialang.client.Main

Using Ubuntu 8.10 with 1.0.1

Regards,
zerwas

pelloaranburu
October 29th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Hi,
I have tried to install dialang in Ubuntu Lucid using wine, but I can't. I tried using the steps all you mentioned but some of the links don't work. Does anybody know how to do it nowadays? Perhaps me knowledge level is too low?

Pello Aranburu