PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Boot XP, Vista, Ubuntu?

srobot
September 12th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Hello,
I have a big computer (80GB HDD, 2GB Ram, Very good screen, etc.), that I want to tri-boot with Windows XP, Vista, and Linux Ubuntu.

Do you think I need a better computer to do this?

Also what is Ubuntu 'good' for, like what are some cool things you can do with it that you can not do with Windows?

Thanks,
--Scotty

lisati
September 12th, 2007, 09:46 PM
You might be able to do it, but I'd suggest getting HDD larger than 80Gb which is "small" compared to some which are available.

rsambuca
September 12th, 2007, 09:49 PM
80 GB is plenty for those three OS's. As far as what can you 'do' with ubuntu? It is an Operating System, so I am not sure I understand the question. There is a myriad of Open Source software that will run on Ubuntu, if that is what you are asking.

lisati
September 12th, 2007, 09:52 PM
The reason I commented about the 80Gb is that I do a lot of video stuff, which tends to chew up a lot of disk space....

srobot
September 12th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Can I boot/run Ubuntu off a USB HDD, sending at about 480MB/s?

As far as what can it "do", I mean is there any free good video editing software? I use Windows Movie Maker and it compresses the to much, so I'm thinking about buying Adobe Video Editing, but if there is a good one for Ubuntu I'll go with that.

--Scotty

rsambuca
September 12th, 2007, 09:56 PM
The reason I commented about the 80Gb is that I do a lot of video stuff, which tends to chew up a lot of disk space....

That has nothing to do with the space required for Operating Systems.

rsambuca
September 12th, 2007, 09:58 PM
There are numerous opensource video editors that you can use. Most of which you can set the compression rate to whatever you want. Cinelerra, avidemux, kdenlive, kino are all reasonble alternatives for what you want to do.

lisati
September 12th, 2007, 09:59 PM

But it does depend on what you want to do.....

srobot
September 12th, 2007, 10:01 PM

I don't know, I want my computer to have enough for day to day use too.

I save Videos, Robot Programs, CAD Models, HD Pictures, etc.

I also run big programs, on my XP computer they take up about 15GB on their own (I'm always getting more too).

--Scotty

rsambuca
September 12th, 2007, 10:02 PM
The fact that video files take disk space doesn't affect the Operating System requirements.

srobot
September 12th, 2007, 10:03 PM
There are numerous opensource video editors that you can use. Most of which you can set the compression rate to whatever you want. Cinelerra, avidemux, kdenlive, kino are all reasonble alternatives for what you want to do.

Thanks!

Do you have any links?

rsambuca
September 12th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I don't know, I want my computer to have enough for day to day use too.

I save Videos, Robot Programs, CAD Models, HD Pictures, etc.

I also run big programs, on my XP computer they take up about 15GB on their own (I'm always getting more too).

--Scotty

15 GB programs! Yeah, then definitely lisati is correct. You need more space.

srobot
September 12th, 2007, 10:08 PM
15 GB programs! Yeah, then definitely lisati is correct. You need more space.

I think that came out wrong, they take up 15 GB in all, not each.

Most of my pictures are 2.5 MB each.

Has anyone had any good luck with USB HDDs?

srobot
September 12th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Will a Tri-Boot slow down the computer at all (split the ram in 3)?

--Scotty

Sephoroth
September 17th, 2007, 06:06 AM
You'd have to make 3 partitions (you would have "split" your hard drive into 3 parts). Your RAM would be unaffected.