View Full Version : UFO: Afterlight and Wine

September 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Hi Chaps

I had no problems installing UFO: Afterlight with Wine. It seems to run okay, but the mouse pointer is not visible. This is mentioned as a problem by a tester in Wine's Application Database (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=7673&sAllBugs), but no fixes are suggested. Otherwise it seems to work fine. I understand this is an OpenGL game.

Any ideas as to how I can get the mouse pointer visible in full screen mode?

September 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM
If the game has the option to turn off hardware mouse, that will sometimes correct problems with the cursor.

September 5th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the response, cogadh. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be such an option.

Here is a screenshot of the graphics options: http://ubuntuforums.org/g/images/184419/large/1_Options_Screen.jpg

September 5th, 2007, 01:37 PM
That wouldn't be a graphics option, it would more likely be a control or general game option. It is also possible that there is no option for it in the game itself, but you might be able to edit one of the game configuration files to turn off the hardware mouse. I can't say what file that would be or what you would need to change, I don't have the game. However, some games don't have the option to turn off the hardware mouse at all so you might be stuck.

March 3rd, 2008, 04:46 AM
does it run slow? i just bought it than switched to ubuntu, i find even old games run slowly, will it work?

March 31st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Has anyone had any real success with this?

I have got it installed,
the game runs
intro plays nicely
menu seems ok (after fixing the mouse pointer problem)

when I start the game none of the 3d objects seem to work right. The 2d stuff is fine but the 3d View is a series of blobs.

According to winedb it should run and I can't find any references to this problem.

WOW seems to be working ok (but my subscription ran out before I got it working)
Am downloading HL2 now to see if that has the same problems.

PC is a Turion X2 1.6Ghz, Radion Xpress 1100, 1.5gb Ram
ubuntu 7.10, with restricted ATI drivers Enabled, wine 0.9.58
uname -a: Linux gareth-laptop 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 02:46:46 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux