MozartlovesUbun2
September 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Update
See post #36, for installation tips

=======================
http://www.commandandconquer.com/intel/default.aspx?id=61#NewsMain

From the Official EA site:

PLEASE NOTE BEFORE DOWNLOAD:
We are providing the ISO image of C&C for both the GDI and Nod discs. In order for the original C&C to run on Windows XP, you will need to burn the ISO image onto a CD with a CD Burner and any "CD Burning Software" such as Nero, Alcohol, etc. There are also a few extra steps in order to make the original C&C run on Windows XP after you burn it to CD. Please click the link below for the exact instructions after you download both files!

Read review article from gamespot here:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/commandconquer/index.html

cool, the real C&C released Aug 31, 1995

I guess it'll play on wine or cedega, so go grab it :)

========================================

DOWNLOAD might be slow

so if anyone of you can put it out as a TORRENT

PLEASE post the link here, thanks

BWF89
September 3rd, 2007, 11:10 PM
Is this a limited time only or forever?

MozartlovesUbun2
September 3rd, 2007, 11:13 PM
Is this a limited time only or forever?

I dunno, EA as a games company sucks

this is the original Westwood C&C

so grab it while it's out there :)

BWF89
September 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
I'm downloading now. It says it's going to take 10+ hours. So a lot of people must be downloading also.

MozartlovesUbun2
September 3rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
I'm downloading now. It says it's going to take 10+ hours. So a lot of people must be downloading also.

Shame the foolish people should have put it out as a torrent

oh well

Sayers
September 3rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
I question the legality and security of this.

MozartlovesUbun2
September 3rd, 2007, 11:39 PM

what do you mean?

Legality? = it's a straight download from the EA site (please read the celebration article)

Security? = what are you afraid of? virus? (why) it's an official download and i guess you are using Linux/Wine

I don't get it :confused:

nrs
September 3rd, 2007, 11:39 PM

What reason is there to question the legality? The site is EA, not some fan site, if that's the reason.

edit: beaten to it

K.Mandla
September 3rd, 2007, 11:42 PM
Since this is generally a gaming thread and it appears to me to be legit as well, I'll shift this into Gaming & Leisure. Have fun! ;)

MozartlovesUbun2
September 3rd, 2007, 11:48 PM
Since this is generally a gaming thread and it appears to me to be legit as well, I'll shift this into Gaming & Leisure. Have fun! ;)

oh sorry, for a minute i was sweating there, thinking the post got deleted coz i did something wrong.

ok, my bad, should have read where to post it correctly,

thanks K.Mandla

hikaricore
September 4th, 2007, 12:58 AM
4th thread of this announcement lol

cogadh
September 4th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Fileshack has mirrored the download, their servers are a lot faster than EA's.

hardyn
September 4th, 2007, 01:29 AM
can somebody define NOD for me?

MozartlovesUbun2
September 4th, 2007, 02:14 AM
can somebody define NOD for me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_of_Nod

The Brotherhood of Nod, often simply referred to as Nod or The Brotherhood, is one of three prominent fictional factions in the Tiberian series of Westwood Studios' Command & Conquer real-time strategy video games.

On a final note and in a rather direct correlation, the original manual for the first Command & Conquer game lists a quote by Kane, with the source cited as a file named "#GEN4:16". This is a reference to Genesis 4:16, which states "And Cain went out from the presence of the Lord, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden".

-----------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_Nod

The Land of Nod (Hebrew: ’eretz-Nod) is a place in the Book of Genesis of the Hebrew Bible, located "to the east of Eden", to which Cain was banished after murdering his brother Abel. The Hebrew word nod means "wandering".

"And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden." (Genesis 4:16, King James Version)

"Nod" (נוד) is the Hebrew root of the verb "to wander" (לנדוד) and is possibly an etymological etiology intended to explain the peripatetic lifestyle of Cain and his descendants, the Cainites. One interpretation of Genesis 4:16 is that Cain was cursed to wander the land forever, not that he was exiled to a "Land of Wanderers", otherwise absent from the Old Testament.

MozartlovesUbun2
September 4th, 2007, 02:32 AM
4th thread of this announcement lol

Yes we love the old Westwood C&C!

:)

some_random_noob
September 4th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Doesn't NOD stand for "Nation Of Death"? Maybe both?

Edit: Oh, and do you guys think this will work on Linux somehow?

cogadh
September 4th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Run it with Wine.

some_random_noob
September 4th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Run it with Wine.

Cool! So it's 100% DX free?? :D

Beren Camlost
September 4th, 2007, 05:56 AM
I've (tried to) upload them as torrents on TorrentBox. Never made torrents before so please reply if they don't work.

GDI ISO: http://www.torrentbox.com/download/128317/GDI95.iso.torrent

NoD ISO: http://www.torrentbox.com/download/128315/NOD95.iso.torrent

Enjoy :)

charlieg
September 4th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Probably not but this is a 1995 game so wine supports it.

cogadh
September 4th, 2007, 01:12 PM
No, it is an early generation DX game (DirectX 5 I think), but Wine has DX support built in, so it can be run with Wine (as charlieg said).

MozartlovesUbun2
September 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I've (tried to) upload them as torrents on TorrentBox. Never made torrents before so please reply if they don't work.

GDI ISO: http://www.torrentbox.com/download/128317/GDI95.iso.torrent

NoD ISO: http://www.torrentbox.com/download/128315/NOD95.iso.torrent

Enjoy :)

Thx :)

much appreciated

now to make it run in Wine (havn't played around with it before)

cogadh
September 4th, 2007, 08:21 PM
You probably should have created a new thread. None of those games have anything to do with C&C and your post will probably get lost here.

isaacj87
September 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM
In game advertising?!

Well, they're full games...can't complain...

PhatStreet
September 4th, 2007, 08:24 PM
In game advertising?!

Well, they're full games...can't complain...

Thankfully, they're not very intrusive except for Rayman... there's basically an ad after every 2 minigames in that.

In PoP and Far Cry, I have yet to see a single ad. :)

isaacj87
September 4th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Did you play them on your ubuntu box with Wine?

MozartlovesUbun2
September 4th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Did you play them on your ubuntu box with Wine?

I have the latest Cedega (Wine) and CrossOver but have no spare time for games right now (too busy) anyway I have the whole collection of C&C games that ever came out, but in the mess of several 1000's CD / DVD that are piled up in the office i cant find this one, so i'll download it again.
Will post again to let you know how it goes, please take a quick look at the Wine site it tells you which games are playable and how to make them run, I'm pretty sure this golden oldie C&C will work under Wine :)

have fun

Sparckus
September 4th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Link to download on fileshack

Clicky (http://www.fileshack.com/browse.x/4280)

andlinux
September 5th, 2007, 08:13 PM
If there are people who don't know how to play it, well I will explain it here. ;)

First you must have wine installed, you can find it in synaptic.

If wine is installed open up a terminal and write "winecfg" (without the quotes).

Then you will see a sort of M$ Windows menu and select there windows 95, so wine will act as Win 95.

The next thing to do is, put your disc in your dvd/cd drive and go to your cdrom station in a terminal. Here it is "/media/cdrom" (cd /media/cdrom)

Then do "wine setup.exe" and the installation will start. It will ask you something about directx, I didn't installed that. First I selected it to install the directx stuff but it didn't worked.

You can also install "westwood online" and "adobe acrobat reader" but that's not necessary.

After that's done. Go to "/.wine/drive_c/WESTWOOD/C&C95/" (it's normally in your home folder) and do that in your console.

The latest thing you have to do is write this: "wine C\&C95.EXE" (this is how I start it in the console and remember without qoutes and the cdrom needs to be placed in the drive).
If everything is working you can make a shortcut so that you can start it with a few clicks.

this is my short guide to play C&C.

K.Mandla
September 13th, 2007, 12:39 PM
If there are people who don't know how to play it, well I will explain it here. ;)

First you must have wine installed, you can find it in synaptic.

If wine is installed open up a terminal and write "winecfg" (without the quotes).

Then you will see a sort of M$ Windows menu and select there windows 95, so wine will act as Win 95.

The next thing to do is, put your disc in your dvd/cd drive and go to your cdrom station in a terminal. Here it is "/media/cdrom" (cd /media/cdrom)

Then do "wine setup.exe" and the installation will start. It will ask you something about directx, I didn't installed that. First I selected it to install the directx stuff but it didn't worked.

You can also install "westwood online" and "adobe acrobat reader" but that's not necessary.

After that's done. Go to "/.wine/drive_c/WESTWOOD/C&C95/" (it's normally in your home folder) and do that in your console.

The latest thing you have to do is write this: "wine C\&C95.EXE" (this is how I start it in the console and remember without qoutes and the cdrom needs to be placed in the drive).
If everything is working you can make a shortcut so that you can start it with a few clicks.

this is my short guide to play C&C.
Hmm. :-k Didn't work. I get a popup error box telling me to install the game off the CD. Even when I burned it to a CD.

I'm going to poke around a little more, and see what I can find. ...

por100pre1
September 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM
http://www.commandandconquer.com/intel/default.aspx?id=61#NewsMain

From the Official EA site:

PLEASE NOTE BEFORE DOWNLOAD:
We are providing the ISO image of C&C for both the GDI and Nod discs. In order for the original C&C to run on Windows XP, you will need to burn the ISO image onto a CD with a CD Burner and any "CD Burning Software" such as Nero, Alcohol, etc. There are also a few extra steps in order to make the original C&C run on Windows XP after you burn it to CD. Please click the link below for the exact instructions after you download both files!

Read review article from gamespot here:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/commandconquer/index.html

cool, the real C&C released Aug 31, 1995

I guess it'll play on wine or cedega, so go grab it :)

DOWNLOAD might be slow

so if anyone of you can put it out as a TORRENT

PLEASE post the link here, thanks

Thanks for letting us know! :)

K.Mandla
September 14th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Has anyone gotten it to install yet? I'm not having much luck here. It seems the installer can't sense the "CD" in the drive, either because of wine or in spite of it. I'll try it out some more later, I guess.

KingHanco
September 14th, 2007, 04:46 AM
I'm downloading both right now.

splintercellguy
September 14th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Has anyone gotten it to install yet? I'm not having much luck here. It seems the installer can't sense the "CD" in the drive, either because of wine or in spite of it. I'll try it out some more later, I guess.

If you're mounting the ISO, chmod the loop device the ISO is mounted on to 777.

K.Mandla
September 14th, 2007, 08:21 AM
That doesn't seem to work. I'm told it's a read-only filesystem, even if I add -o rw to the mount command. Strange. I've found other sites elsewhere that suggest it should install almost automatically. I wonder if I got a corrupted download. ... :-k

splintercellguy
September 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM
You might also have to add the ISO mount point to Wine drives, if you haven't already. The best bet is to burn, if you wish to spare the trouble.

EDIT: Outlining my steps:

1. sudo chmod 777 /dev/loop0
2. Check winecfg drives, add ISO mount point (I also added /dev/loop0 just in case).
3. mount the ISO on the mount point
4. launch seutp

K.Mandla
September 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM
That did the trick; thanks. I wondered why I was having such trouble with a game from 12 years ago. ... :|

splintercellguy
September 14th, 2007, 09:12 AM
The reason why the installer fails is that the installer tries to directly access the loopback device. With 0660 root/disk, that won't work out very well.

MozartlovesUbun2
October 11th, 2007, 06:40 AM
http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/gta.html

In 1997, a band of developers that would come to be known as Rockstar North and Rockstar Games released the original Grand Theft Auto on an unsuspecting public. The groundbreaking non-linear urban crime game shook up a complacent game industry with its irreverent gameplay, humor and style- and a phenomenon was born.

We are now offering this classic progenitor of the Rockstar Games lineage as the first in a recurring series of Rockstar PC game downloads, absolutely free of charge. It's a chance for new fans to experience the roots of Rockstar as well as our way of saying thank you to our long-time supporters feeling that pang of nostalgia. Simply fill out the form below and check your email for a direct link to the file - we've even optimized the game for play on the latest and greatest computers. Now, don't say we never gave you anything.

Grand Theft Auto Warning/Disclaimer:

# This version of Grand Theft Auto is modified from its original version to enable support for modern PC's and current Microsoft ® Windows ® platforms. However, we unfortunately cannot guarantee that Grand Theft Auto will work correctly on your PC. Installation and execution of this software is entirely at your own risk.

# Grand Theft Auto Important Notes - Please read the following before downloading and installing:

# The size of this file is 328 MB.

# Due to overwhelming response, we have had to limit the number of concurrent connections to our download server. If you receive an error page, please try again later.

# This game requires the latest version of DirectX to run. If you do not have the latest version of DirectX installed on your system, you may download it from http://www.microsoft.com/directx.

# After downloading Grand Theft Auto, double-click on the file (GTAInstaller.exe).

# The Install program will start; follow the on-screen install instructions and choose where you would like to install Grand Theft Auto.

# Grand Theft Auto will then be installed and a program group created for you in "START > PROGRAMS > Rockstar Games > GTA".

# You will NEED to run "GTA Settings" from the Program Menu BEFORE running the game for the first time.

# In GTA Settings you can customize your control options and select a language (English is default).

# Once you are done with GTA settings, choose "Save" to save your settings.

# You can now run Grand Theft Auto! Just click on "START > PROGRAMS > Rockstar Games > GTA > GRAND THEFT AUTO" to start.

# Once in-game you can change the resolution by pressing 'F11' and choosing any of the listed resolutions.

# If you experience choppy or jerky gameplay, try turning the frame limiter off by pressing 'F8'. You may need to then increase your resolution to slow the game down, but it should play smoothly.

some_random_noob
December 2nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
Hmmmmm well its been a while now... so, how many people here have got CnC 95 running perfectly on Ubuntu?

Please respond if you have.

PrimoTurbo
December 2nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
The original game is my favorite by far, I still have the double-cd around. I remember I used to play on westwood servers all the time. Not sure if online play still exists for this game but it used to a lot of fun.

MozartlovesUbun2
December 3rd, 2007, 06:16 AM
The original game is my favorite by far, I still have the double-cd around. I remember I used to play on westwood servers all the time. Not sure if online play still exists for this game but it used to a lot of fun.

yeah, my uncle still plays it regularly, i was amazed to see it still was possible, like total frenzy, can't be too good for the heart, the games are fast paced and fierce, not sure which one he plays, it's C and C red heat or so, anyway one of the oldies, but pretty impressive, only downside is you gotta click for very troop you want, so its like a million clicks in a game, you can hear him clicking away cursing at the same time. well ok i ld better be off now.

antofthy
October 23rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
The original link does not appear active anymore. :-(
Anyone know where I can download it now :-)