PDA

View Full Version : Ack! My deskbar is gone!

The Warlock
August 31st, 2007, 02:27 AM
So, I used to have the deskbar set up so that it was an actual bar you could type stuff into on the panel. That option seems to have vanished (yay GNOME). How do I unbreak it?

Sand Lee
September 1st, 2007, 10:26 PM
I don't think it's that simple. It seems the developer has made a new api for the app, so until he or someone else adds that option, nothing will change.

The Warlock
September 2nd, 2007, 02:50 AM
I don't think it's that simple. It seems the developer has made a new api for the app, so until he or someone else adds that option, nothing will change.

What the hell? Is it just me, or has every update for GNOME been removing functionality? Sorry, I'm just busy tangling with the new version of gnome-session that, in addition to not letting you reorder your startup programs, doesn't actually show them in startup order either, just alphabetical order.

edit: Is there any other applet that does what Deskbar used to? We used to have a nice one called mini-commander, that added a little command line to the panel, but it got left out of GNOME when Deskbar took its spot. Now Deskbar's been neutered and we don't have the old program anymore. God, this is aggravating.

The Warlock
September 2nd, 2007, 03:16 AM
You know what, screw it, I'm installing KDE.

It's been nice, Gnome. Or rather, it was nice a long time ago, and then some geniuses got the idea to just keep cutting and cutting and cutting. "Simple and effective" and "just works" are ideas I could get behind, but if I wanted rubber-padded, functionless crap I'd be installing Windows.

Sand Lee
September 2nd, 2007, 09:31 AM
I'm not sure if it'll work on Gutsy, but it may be possible to download and install the old package.

groggyboy
September 2nd, 2007, 05:17 PM
another person made a gutsy package of the old deskbar here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3181461&postcount=17). the version is "higher" than the one in the repos, so it won't get overwritten by updates. it has some glitches though. restarting GDM is guaranteed to make this version of deskbar crash.

deskbar really got screwed up, imho. not only do I not like the new UI, but the new version doesn't support tracker anymore. with any luck, someone will fork the code.

Ptero-4
September 18th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I don't know if it changed (I'm on Xfce), but IIRC, you could go to the preferences page and select the checkbox next to "show a bar" to make it work like it did on dapper (the change IIRC was done in gnome 2.16).