PDA

View Full Version : change path to bibtex database in kile

totalnewbi
August 29th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Hi Folks,

i just changed over from Win and Miktex to Ubuntu and Kile. After some hassle and a lot of googleing i managed to get the bibliography stuff working. My question now is, whether it is possible to have one central bibtex database (*.bib) stored somewhere in the computer so that you do not have to copy that file always in the directory where the *.tex file is.

EDIT: OK, that question was dump! For other greenhorns like me:
simply add the path inside the Brackets after "\bibliography":
\bibliography{/home/example/bibliography.bib}

Another question is, whether there is a way of not always having to run Latex several times and then BiBtex in a certain order to prevent error messages? For example, compiling the document without the Bibliography and just in the final run go through all this several Latex runs?

Thx
Newbi

helmingstay
March 28th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Hi Folks,
simply add the path inside the Brackets after "\bibliography":
\bibliography{/home/example/bibliography.bib}

Another question is, whether there is a way of not always having to run Latex several times and then BiBtex in a certain order to prevent error messages? For example, compiling the document without the Bibliography and just in the final run go through all this several Latex runs?
i

Thanks for the tip.I screwed it up the first few times :) It looks like bibtex groks relative file positions (../) but not shell-like, globby thingies ( ~user ).
Scripting the latex build is short and simple. I build pdfs, which changes the last line of the script:

#!/bin/bash
# turn the first argument (file basename, no .tex extension)
# into a pdf. change last line to "latex $1" to get dvi output
latex $1
bibtex $1
latex $1
pdflatex $1