PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Users Group - The Ohio State University

dpj23
August 27th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Would like to start a users group at OSU could use some insight in getting started. Secondly, if there is a group nearby I don't want to step on there toes... So, if any one could send me information that would be a start...

Thanks,
Daniel

o0splitpaw0o
September 24th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I'd check the campus's site, I do believe their's a FSF lug, but that's about it.

atom
October 19th, 2007, 04:29 AM
I work at OSU and have been considering this same thing. I can extend any invites to the IT staff at the University.

Send me an email, stephens.171.

Vorian
October 19th, 2007, 01:47 PM
You guys should come to the Release Party next weekend

Oct 27th @ 6pm at Paneras at Easton.

atom
October 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Can't, I'll be in DC.

Panera doesn't serve beer either. :)

sancho panza
October 30th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I tried contacting the campus FOSS group thru their website, but havent got any response yet. Is this forum the best way to locate users on campus?
Keep me posted.

Cheers,

TheIdiotThatIsMe
December 11th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I'm not sure this forum would be the best, mainly because 1) Ubuntu Ohio LoCo is not that big, and 2) most people actually participate through IRC or mailing list more often.

Honestly, ask around campus to see if you can find anyone; there should also places you can put up little flyers, or if OSU has something like CAB (Campus Activities Board) they might have some useful information too.

rhetoric
December 20th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Another OSU student here. Let's get something going who cares if only a few people show up. fortney.22 or post here.

zeke2020
March 10th, 2008, 08:52 AM
i am also interested in this group. i am a freshmen and there are a few others on my floor who would be interested

sancho panza
March 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM
The campus does have an FOSS group (http://opensource.cse.ohio-state.edu/), but I think ubuntu does warrant its own dedicated fan group...
Lets throw some ideas around on this thread and see if we can come up with anything.

An idea: Find if this thread is the best way to go about connecting with local ubuntu users :)

Frumious Boojum
March 12th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'm a Columbus State student.... if this is still being considered, any possibility of opening to all area colleges rather than only OSU?

sancho panza
March 12th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Sure! I was talking about OSU only becos the most recent post seemed to be from there...thats all...
And we dont have anything specific going yet...so jump in...

I'm trying to explore the columbus IRC channel...am new to IRC...(not IM)

Cheers

Frumious Boojum
March 18th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Sancho: I was actually referring to the OSU Ubuntu Group of the first post... seems like a lot of time has gone by with no progress.

Though, I may be up for joining the FOSS... it was reccomended to me by one of the OSU TAs last Friday night.

It would rather be nice to get an Ubuntu LUG going in Columbus period. No matter where it might be held. If nothing else, gathering with laptops in a local Cup O' Joe or something...

Or is there a Columbus LUG that I'm just not aware of yet?

Vorian
March 18th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Or is there a Columbus LUG that I'm just not aware of yet?
http://www.colug.net/

sancho panza
April 23rd, 2008, 01:52 AM
I live close to the OSU columbus campus and am looking for a ride for the release party. Buzz me if anyone can help.

Cheers!

duke4don
June 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM
just start it procastination is a thief of time. i have one on my campus

brianfreytag
October 1st, 2008, 07:14 PM
I'm a Super Senior at Ohio State University, and I'd love to join a group like this for the rest of my time here.

I plan on staying around the OSU campus after I gradumigate, would I still be allowed to party with ya'll?

Let us know when you get it started!