PDA

View Full Version : Studying Linux

Majorix
August 26th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I will start studying software engineering at the university next year. My dream job and a big success for me.

Anyways.. I got a list of the lessons that can be taken at this college. And one of them is LINUX!!

I was very happy to see this because I will be able to study my fav OS more and I will study something I am actually interested in. You know, studying Linux is not like studying Chemistry. Its something fun!

So my questions are:
1. What do you think they will teach at this course?
2. What distro will be good to use? I love Ubuntu but is it scientific enough to help me?
3. Should I actually study for these lessons at home? Since I am an active Linux user I think it would be a waste of time if I took some terminal book at hand and read from there don't you think? And I consider myself to be somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to Linux...

And finally, are there any other people who studied/are studying Linux at some place?

ddrichardson
August 27th, 2007, 09:08 PM
And finally, are there any other people who studied/are studying Linux at some place?

You are joking - my lecturer in computer systems software (in other words operating systems) spent many years prescribing the virtues of DAC/VMS. We were stll using Janet and in any case Linus hadn't invented the kernel yet. Happy days.

Majorix
August 28th, 2007, 03:39 AM
and in any case Linus hadn't invented the kernel yet.

Wow you must be ol.. Ahem! Hehe :D

Any other thoughts?

peromalosutra
August 30th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I'm also about to study electrical engineering department for computer science and information technology (classes begin in october),. As i could find out, there is subject operating systems (I and II), where we shuld learn about structure of an operating system, i supose that we will learn about unix, linux.. I was in labaratories several times (since I alredy work there), but there was no linux installed, only windows with linux shell emulators.. That is, there wasn't linux before, until i installed ubuntu 7.04 (i hope system admin is not reading this) :)

Majorix
August 30th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Sounds good. We have a similar schedule with you, we have Operating Systems Mechanics lesson (or whatever that was called) where we will learn about UNIX and how it works etc, and then a Linux lesson where I think we will get to learn some commands. I am not sure if we will use GUI though and that sucks.

How many laboratories do you have? I visited the college a few days ago, and I got to see that every class that is supposed to have computer/software engineering students had computers. I didn't get to check them for which OS they had installed, but in one of the classes I have seen MACs. If they have MACs I thought, they sure have Linux too.

And no your system admin won't read this haha!

peromalosutra
August 30th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I wasn't able to see all labaratories, but in the part of the university where i am working, there where 3 labaratories.. There is also learning room with several out-of-trash computers (pentium II i think) that were using Damn Small Linux, but since some students had trouble mounting USB flash drives from bash (and similar problems duo to poor knowledge of linux), they reformated hard drives and installed windows again.. I will have more complete picture after the 1st semester, but I hope things will change in favour of linux..