PDA

View Full Version : Help me set up Edubuntu at my school!

tentwelveeight
August 26th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I work at a school in San Diego and am in the middle of rolling out LTSP mini-networks in about 30 classrooms with each mini-network consisting of one server and about 5 thin-clients. The computers I am using for the servers are custom boxes with AMD Mobile Sempron +2600 processors running at 1.6ghz and 256mb RAM. Obviously I will need to bump up the RAM to run 5 thin clients so I'm looking into buying 1gb sticks for each server and thus keeping one slot open for RAM upgrades in the future. My questions are:

1. What kind of RAM should I buy? ECC, non-ECC, registered, non-registered, etc.? The current RAM is ddr 3200 I believe, although I might be wrong about that.

2. Is 1.6ghz fast enough for 5 thin-clients that are running flash games on firefox all the time?

Thanks, -joe

solar george
August 26th, 2007, 11:37 AM
This may help,

http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/ServerSizing

hsweet
September 4th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I'm running 20 thin clients with that much memory so 5 should not be a problem. If all the kids are doing is playing flash games though, you might be better off investing in ping-pong tables.

matthewboh
September 5th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Registered memory is a little more stable, but you do take a processing hitl. I think ECC would be a little too much. If the flash games act up, what's the loss? I would go for the cheapest available and try to buy more RAM.

And 1.6ghz should be plenty fast - just worry that you have enough RAM. The article from solar george above has a good formula for figuring out a baseline.

tentwelveeight
September 7th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Thanks everyone! I got 10 1gb sticks from Newegg today that are also dual channel in case I want to put them in these Dell Optiplexes that were just donated. That should be good enough for now. I'll let you know how it goes. -joe