PDA

View Full Version : Max Payne 2 and ATI in WINE

quadomatic
August 26th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Max Payne 2 is acting really screwy, and since it has a platinum on AppDB, I'm assuming it's because of ATI. It's not a regression, because I went ahead and tried 0.9.40, and got the same problem.

First, reflections don't work. Second, and most noticeable, any post processing effects, where the screen gets all wavy and such (pretty much every cutscene), the screen size shrinks, and the picture gets distorted. For example, you see double at the beginning of the game.

Not only that, but the frame rate is REALLY bad, at least for my hardware. I originally played this on an Athlon 1.4 Ghz Thunderbird with a Radeon 9200SE. I was able to max out all the settings, and it ran as well, if not better, than it runs on my system now under WINE.

Is there any way around these problems?

BTW: For some reason, when I set the resolution to 1600x1200, it said I didn't have enough Video Card Memory, and that I only had 64MB of video card memory. This is wrong, as I have an X850 PRO, which has 256 MB of Memory. When I ran it in 1600x1200, the game crashed for lack of memory. Is WINE reading my video card wrong or something? I don't think linux is reading my card wrong, because I play Unreal Tournament 2004 natively with settings maxed out at 1600x1200, and I have no problems.