PDA

View Full Version : Interactive whiteboard support

MonkeyPlus
August 20th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Hi,

My girlfriend is a teacher, and is quite impressed with Ubuntu - however she could not use it in a classroom herself or recommend it without substantial support for interactive whiteboards, specifically Smartboards and Activboards.

Generally, such boards act as a large display that uses a pen as a mouse pointer, so they 'support' most educational and presentation software anyway. What is essential for them is a flipchart application that allows the teacher to 'write' on the board over multiple pages which they can return to at any time, and to save the whole session so that it can be used again. Such an application usually offers other educational functionality as well, like drawing graphs.

Is there anything like this for Linux in general, and Edubuntu in particular? I've been unable to find an answer at the Edubunu wiki.

kesomir
August 23rd, 2007, 08:48 PM
Here's a link to the SMART software download for linux.

It's a simple "double clicky" self installer.

http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/Support/Downloads/SBS/SBSv97Linux.htm

There are two things that aren't on par with the windows / mac versions:

No flash on the notebook
No handwriting recognition (as in convert handwriting to text on board)

I have the software running on all the ubuntu machines on my network. Only advice I'll give is that for the input device to be recognised you have to ensure that part of the software is running (can't remember the name,think it's notebook service or something).

I set this to auto start in the gnome session in /etc/skel so all new users run it by default.