PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] steam is already running. i can't get a full update.

opendevlite
August 17th, 2007, 05:50 PM
i'm stuck with 26% of updating process, i tried this code:

wine SteamTmp.exe SelfUpdate "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" 14

but still doesn't work, can anyone help me?

cogadh
August 17th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Try this:

nice -19 wine SteamTmp.exe SelfUpdate "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" 14

scribbles
August 25th, 2007, 03:44 PM
That took care of the issue! Can anyone explain WHY that command works, what it does etc?

cogadh
August 25th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure why it works, but the "nice" command changes the scheduling priority of a running app. That command is supposed to increase the scheduling priority of the running Wine app, however when I run it on my system, it actually appears to decrease the scheduling priority. Either way, it works for some reason.

Technically, you can't increase the scheduling priority without using sudo or root and the correct syntax to do that would be like this:

sudo nice -n -19 wine SteamTmp.exe SelfUpdate "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" 14
But using sudo or root to run Wine is really bad, so don't do it.

DoktorSeven
August 25th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Actually I did it by DEcreasing the scheduling priority of Steam.exe with

nice -n 19 Steam.exe

and it worked as well, and it doesn't require sudo which is a bad idea for running Wine programs.

juamez.
November 1st, 2007, 11:31 PM
Try this:

DEAR GOD, this did it for me. I owe you a thousand internets, kind sir!

jhmvrNow
December 2nd, 2007, 12:59 AM
Hey, where i write/put that code?? please tell me

and i put:

all of this?

cogadh
December 2nd, 2007, 01:32 AM
You need to use the terminal to enter the command. First you should change directories to where you installed Steam, then run the command, like this:

cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam

jbaerbock
March 3rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
How would I do this with Crossover Office? Have steam installed but get the same error, gets to 27% and blingo says another steam is already running which aint true of course. What would the command be with cxoffice?

jbaerbock
March 3rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
Something like this perhaps?

nice -19 cxoffice/bin/steam SteamTmp.exe SelfUpdate "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" 14

jbaerbock
March 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Nvm this is what worked: nice -19 cxoffice/bin/steam 14

Roryking
March 4th, 2008, 05:11 AM
From the "nice" man page: "Nicenesses range from -20 (most favorable scheduling) to 19 (least favorable)."

Think of a vertical scale, with -20 at the top and 19 at the bottom. That is why setting it to 19 decreases the priority. From what I understand Steam has some sort of disk cache issue that hasn't yet been addressed completely in Wine, so it will sometimes create the 26% error, as well as sometimes causing a "registry in use" error when launching some games.

Hope this clears things up!

knepig
March 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Something like this perhaps?

nice -19 cxoffice/bin/steam SteamTmp.exe SelfUpdate "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" 14

i just started using ubuntu 2 days ago. i did't think that it was possible to play cs condition zero in linux, after i finaly installed ubuntu and installed crossover the steamupdate stoped at 26 % and i almost @#"& !!

thank you so much for solving the problem!!

all beeing so helpful in linux forums, I'm a 2-day-noob today, see you tomorrow ](*,)

------------------------------------

// Knepig

opendevlite
May 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
Wine 0.9.59 solve this problem

Installing Steam through wine
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1554

swd40
July 19th, 2008, 07:14 AM
You need to use the terminal to enter the command. First you should change directories to where you installed Steam, then run the command, like this:

cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam

When you say "terminal" your not refer to Hyper Terminal? If I get more information on how to enter these codes in that would great. By the way, my OS is Windows Vista Home Edition

Please reply

CnlPepper
July 26th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Err... this is a linux support forum for the Ubuntu linux distribution. This is not a forum for Windows Vista. The command you are quoting won't do anything in Windows Vista. If you are having general problems with steam on Windows you'll find more help on the steam forums: http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=forum&cc=GB