PDA

View Full Version : MySpace opinions

LaRoza
August 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM
In school, everybody uses "Myspace", and use up the bandwidth with ridulously large pages. They also seem to have little knowledge of computers.

What do you think?

igknighted
August 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Voted "bane of the internet" for lack of a harsher option. Facebook I would classify as the bane of the internet, myspace is about 4 levels worse.

Xzallion
MySpace, like anything else is a tool. A tool for communication and social interaction (supposedly). Depending on how they use it, it is a terrible web site or a great website.

Personally I don't really care for it all that much, I prefer facebook.

Dimitriid
Everything about it induces a murdering rage on me: the people, the concept, the worst interface ever to be seen, etc.

bobmitch
August 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I met my wife via myspace. Probably not unique these days, I guess, but pretty surprising to me all the same.
This doesn`t stop myspace being abused by many and annoying to many more still, but it servers a purpose, and it helped me find the love of my life... so.... :)

pluviosity
August 16th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Myspace is pretty bad. Facebook used to be good before the News Feed, and now with the applications, it's approaching status as another Myspace.

+1 Bane of the Internet

LaRoza
August 16th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I think tools that make life easier are great; however, MySpace seems to have spawned a bunch of <not-so-bright-people> who have hijacked the web.

When you cater to such people, problems are bound to occur.

bread eyes
August 16th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I think tools that make life easier are great; however, MySpace seems to have spawned a bunch of <not-so-bright-people> who have hijacked the web.

When you cater to such people, problems are bound to occur.

How? Anyway, to me it's just a popular social networking website and feelings like these are bigotry.

@trophy
August 16th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I also voted Bane of the Internet for lack of a worse option.

At least Facebook's site works. MySpace is ALWAYS having technical issues, their site is open to SQL injection (which I have personally had a lot of fun with), private profiles can be viewed publicly with little effort on the part of the attacker, the layouts are hideous, etc. I'm a web developer myself, and I am at a complete loss as to why myspace doesn't hire better developers to go back and fix it. There's no excuse.

Sunflower1970
August 16th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I don't know if it's a bane, but it is annoying. I had a myspace page, once, but really found no use for it..

LaRoza
August 16th, 2007, 05:25 PM
How? Anyway, to me it's just a popular social networking website and feelings like these are bigotry.

I know the web, and the technology behind it. I write web sites and strive to learn. I know best web practices, like avoiding many images on a home page, and correct layouts and fonts.

Myspace is like spam on the internet. I have never seen a Myspace page with a good layout, or good content.

If it is social networking, the focus should be on making a good presentation, and making a real social network. With the exception of those who make good friends (real friends), it is just a haven for those who don't know anything about the Web, but feel the urge to use it anyway.

I don't know what it was like when it started, only what is like now. Now, I only see bloated content, brain-drained users, and wasted space.

Apologies to those who are insulted by this, but this is what I see all day in the computer labs and library.

See:

I also voted Bane of the Internet for lack of a worse option.

At least Facebook's site works. MySpace is ALWAYS having technical issues, their site is open to SQL injection (which I have personally had a lot of fun with), private profiles can be viewed publicly with little effort on the part of the attacker, the layouts are hideous, etc. I'm a web developer myself, and I am at a complete loss as to why myspace doesn't hire better developers to go back and fix it. There's no excuse.

Quillz
August 16th, 2007, 05:30 PM
MySpace is fine for, say, bands or other people who have a valid need for it, and also understand some fundamental basics of CSS coding. But beyond that, it's annoying when every other person and their grandmother has one for no reason, and the colors are awful, like bright neon pink clashing with acid pink. Equally terrible is when loud, awful music starts playing just upon visiting the page.

a12ctic
August 16th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I acctualy really like myspace. When you belong to any sort of underground music scene its a must.

LaRoza
August 16th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I acctualy really like myspace. When you belong to any sort of underground music scene its a must.

What kind of music?

FuturePilot
August 16th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I find it useful. I really only use it to stay in touch with some friends. That's about it though.

a12ctic
August 16th, 2007, 05:40 PM
What kind of music?

Well, I'm into our local hardcore/metal/ambient scenes.

I also have friends into indie that use it heavily.

It's nice to know all the regular show goers, it makes everything so much more comfortable.

DeadSuperHero
August 16th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I like Myspace for the fact that I can post my thoughts on a blog, communicate with friends via messages, and comment photos and such, in one convenient place.
I don't see anything wrong with that. Sure, a lot of people are really stupid about computers, but I'd say that you shouldn't hate something if you haven't tried it.
Er, if you have tried it, and hate it, that's fine then.

LaRoza
August 16th, 2007, 05:45 PM
but I'd say that you shouldn't hate something if you haven't tried it.
Er, if you have tried it, and hate it, that's fine then.

That is kind of the point, I write my own sites, and don't need the bloat.

Maybe I will try it, just to see. (I will have to wear a mask though)

Frak
August 16th, 2007, 05:46 PM
In school, everybody uses "Myspace", and use up the bandwidth with ridulously large pages. They also seem to have little knowledge of computers.

What do you think?
I maintain servers for a high school and I am first to announce that Myspace crap #2 on the list of "What else can gum up this server?".
#1 is Yahoo Video chat
#3 is Youtube
And I've had it up to here with students using any of those for any reason besides education.:evil:

a12ctic
August 16th, 2007, 05:47 PM
My myspace page is incredibly clean and to the point, the pages are only as ugly as the user chooses to make them.

DeadSuperHero
August 16th, 2007, 05:50 PM
My myspace page is incredibly clean and to the point, the pages are only as ugly as the user chooses to make them.

Well said. Some of the profiles on there are just crammed with YouTube videos, crappy coding, and dozens of dumb surveys.
But, some profiles look quite nice. Which reminds me, I ought to re-design mine, it's a bit cluttery.

bread eyes
August 16th, 2007, 05:50 PM
... it is just a haven for those who don't know anything about the Web, but feel the urge to use it anyway...

I doubt that.

notwen
August 16th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Myspace has gone down hill to say the least, lol. When you view a person's profile and they have images that scroll 17 screens over, enough videos to bog down a broadband connection, and a whol album worth of tracks that auto-plays all together... that is down the hill and then some. Internet networking is doomed, for the masses shall bring it down to a kindergarten level. I have a very simple, quick loading page, but to be honest I have extended my time from login to login to avoid wasting time and bandwidth.

LaRoza
August 16th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I have nothing against Myspace per se, but the users.

Frak
August 16th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Same here, there should be some way to make people learn W3C standards before they can join MySpace, get all the junk out.

a12ctic
August 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM
OR you can just not add people that are mentally deficient?

Frak
August 16th, 2007, 06:02 PM
In my case, that doesn't stop others from visiting sites loaded with 100+ youtube vids, random MP3 music players, hi-res pics, and a mile of text.
It still gums up the server, and after awhile severely bottlenecks the connections.

goumples
August 16th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I used to use myspace.. but I gave up on it a while ago. Is there anyway to delete a myspace account?

igknighted
August 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Same here, there should be some way to make people learn W3C standards before they can join MySpace, get all the junk out.

I would wager that 80+% of myspace users have never heard of either CSS or the W3C, so good luck with that. The only way to make any difference would be for myspace to have dedicated servers for pages that pass a certain level of code audit, that way crappy pages will slow each other down and not the good ones, with the added bonus of people starting to realize what they are doing. Its win-win.

amadeus266
August 16th, 2007, 10:04 PM
MySpace has been banned at my home due to recent virus plants even in the ads that show on the screen. I do computer repairs in my spare time and the last 6 computers I worked on had some really noxious virus's on them that apparently came in through myspacemessenger. (Windows, not Linux) 4 out of the 6 required a complete wipe and reinstall to get rid of the junk.
Edit: This is the fault of hackers and not the people that run the site.

getaboat
August 16th, 2007, 10:30 PM

Agreed again. Content is King. It doesn't really matter what the vehicle is for getting it there.

Personally I hate it - but I am old.

~~Tito~~
August 16th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I used to use myspace.. but I gave up on it a while ago. Is there anyway to delete a myspace account?

Yes in account settings.
I agree with the people who said its all about the user, I havent used myspace in a while and when I got on the have really organized the site and how you add things. I HATE PEOPLE WHO DON'T ORGANIZE THE PAGE WHERE ABOUT ME IS FILLED WITH VIDEOS AND FAVORITE BOOKS TALKS ABOUT MOVIES AND SHOWS MORE YOU-TUBE VIDEOS. A lot the people there are prepubescent and don't know Jack Squiar about html and computers (I know little html). I would really like to see that myspace would make everyone take a test and some rules on pages and how they are laid out(some you cant even scroll down the pages or click on links) and where you put your stuff.

likemindead
August 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Here is PC World's 25 Worst Web Sites (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127116-page,7-c,sites/article.html)

Guess who's #1?

MethodOne
August 18th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I posted a question about Dells preinstalled with Ubuntu on their forums, but someone said to go here. The computer section of the forums is infested with Mac- and Windows fanboys and Linux trolls.

Frak
August 18th, 2007, 03:49 AM
I posted a question about Dells preinstalled with Ubuntu on their forums, but someone said to go here. The computer section of the forums is infested with Mac- and Windows fanboys and Linux trolls.
Good event, because your here now :)
Many of them are very lacking in the... Well... let's say "Attic"

Spr0k3t
August 18th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Bane does not come close enough for me.

For anyone interested in making a myspace page or updating an existing one, I have a recommendation for your style codec.

* { display: hidden; }

That is all.

erfahren
August 18th, 2007, 06:58 AM
I feel like I've paid my dues considering the internet. Started out with AOL (learned to type fast with their chat) and in the late '90's "discovered" that I didn't need them them to see the real internet (so I went off and paid for a crappy dial-up connection for just a little less than I pay now for DSL!)

Lately I've been "cruising" the Yahoo Answers (hey, laugh if you will; but I almost feel like a "guru" there compared to here and the msfn.org forums!) --- Anyway; some of the questions there about myspace are preposterous. ("How do I upload a song from my pc up to myspace... URGENT!?), and "How do I hide this or that with html code?" type crap.

I'm sorry (well;actually I'm not!), but these youngsters these days haven't paid their dues as far as I'm concerned. And if there is any opposition to this, just browse through there sometime. Along with the myriad questions about myspace, ther are countless others concerning viruses and other malware; ("I've installed numerous popup blockers but I still get them, what should I do?")

Among those there are many questions concerning Limewire (and other p2p software) and problems resulting thereof.

All I can say; I feel sorry for their parents!

Let's call it the "MySpace Generation"!. --- I want it NOW! I want YOU to fix my problems NOW! And you WILL give me an answer that is both agreeable to me AND easy! --- pretty sad

Anyway; my woman and I created a myspace page awhile back (to view photos of a relative's motorcycle accident .... ewww!) Anyway; you folks are welcome to see our (fake) page. We're using a photo of Betty Page (whose images are pretty much in the public domain now), as homage to both her (a very wonderful lady) and the veterans of WWII. http://www.myspace.com/joleea

karellen
August 18th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I find it useful. I really only use it to stay in touch with some friends. That's about it though.

I thought that an im program does that, not a web page

steven8
August 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM
bane

happy-and-lost
August 18th, 2007, 09:51 AM
It's a fantastic tool for finding new music and old friends, but some people just take it too far, wasting their time (and my school's bandwidth). It's a very badly coded site, though. But then again, anything being hosted on a Windows server is bound to be nasty and buggy ;)

popch
August 18th, 2007, 10:05 AM
It's a fantastic tool for finding new music and old friends, but some people just take it too far, wasting their time (and my school's bandwidth). It's a very badly coded site, though. But then again, anything being hosted on a Windows server is bound to be nasty and buggy ;)

Consider yourself flamed.

happy-and-lost
August 18th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Consider yourself flamed.

What? For the music or the Windows?

popch
August 18th, 2007, 10:10 AM
What? For the music or the Windows?

Windows, I presume.

slimdog360
August 18th, 2007, 10:31 AM
how could it possibly be useful?

eriqk
August 18th, 2007, 03:28 PM
It's a great way to get in touch with likeminded artists from all over the world. Nothing comes close, really.

Groet, Erik

Epilonsama
August 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM
It's the bane of the internet, this piece of **** is the only reason ppl use computers, but ot just a virus infected, poorly rendered pages.

rocknrolf77
August 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Voted can be useful. Because of music. Everything else sucks. I would like an upgrade of the music player and all the really bad html. But I think it has grown to big and is out of control. They haven't fixed anything since it was new.

But still it's nice to have around if say you are going to a festival, and you want to check out the bands. Just use google to search the band and add myspace to the search. Because the myspace search engine really sucks. It's a lot easier than going to all the bands homepage. They don't always have songs to listen too.

benhagerty
August 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM
The only thing I will ever use myspace for is the music section for self promotion, that is it

jrusso2
August 18th, 2007, 04:12 PM
I refuse to even go to myspace. I have never been there.

Beany
August 18th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I voted 'can be annoying' as it's useful for bands (apparently).

What I find most annoying about it is that it's giving people the ability to create a home page without learning the basics about HTML, formatting, etc. I don't want to keep these people off the internet, not even the mouth-breathers, but I really think a minimum level of competency should be encouraged to increase awareness of security issues, questions of design and so on. If the internet is a truly global resource then the ability to use it properly shouldn't be restricted to those who provide "Web 2.0" functionality.

Having said that, I remember seeing a university friend's homepage when he was just starting out with HTML and he thought black text on a paisley background was a good idea... #-o

jgrabham
August 18th, 2007, 05:11 PM
The photo uploader doesnt work in linux, but besides that I love it :D

www.myspace.com/jamesgrabham

Feel free to add me.

jgrabham
August 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Well said. Some of the profiles on there are just crammed with YouTube videos, crappy coding, and dozens of dumb surveys.
But, some profiles look quite nice. Which reminds me, I ought to re-design mine, it's a bit cluttery.

Well put

It seems as if im the only person who understands <br>

: D

Vince4Amy
August 18th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Myspace is the "bane of the internet" look at some layouts people use for example. They can accept their browsers crawling on a really high end machine because of stupid flashy colours & heavy transparencies. Also WINDOWS fonts for every page. They seem not to support Linux either.

-grubby
September 30th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Most pages are horrible looking, and have an annoying song start
Most people seem to be on there just in competition with how many friends they can get. Also the bulletin system is HORRIBLY abused.
They also seem to screw up there server every 2 days

Polygon
September 30th, 2007, 09:57 PM
i hate myspace, facebook looks better, operates better, people cant customize their pages to look like utter crap and bombard you with 2000000 flash applications, and has a cool application feature.

not to mention facebook doesnt bombard you with thousands of ads like myspace does

and yes ive used both.

RAV TUX
September 30th, 2007, 10:01 PM
MySpace is the worst of the worst.

BWF89
September 30th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I love it and am addicted

Whenever I'm on the internet chances are I'm on myspace. I'm a member in a bunch of political groups that I post in.

sageb1
October 10th, 2007, 10:10 AM
MySpace arose to push multimedia especial music.