PDA

View Full Version : GNOME Window List... how good is it?

kripkenstein
August 16th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I love GNOME, but the Window List (the list of open windows that appears on the pane) is the only issue I have with it. I find myself wasting time searching for the window I want to click on in the window list; often I just to alt-tab which ends up being faster (but is more distracting).

Is it just me?

tehkain
August 16th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I would like there to be a toggle like in xfce where I can make the list display icons only. The visual reference focuses on a central circular point, while the word reference(and small icon) requires the comprehension of multiple characters. I much prefer documents written in the English alphabet when faced with a single symbol alternative(some Asian scripts), but Icons have a distinct advantage in a window/dock.

This is a subject that has many different ideas but none universally correct or perfect(or even close). It needs more focus as it is a great issue. All of the work going into window listing and management today lacks innovation, new ideas, and puts way to much focus on the visual.

The window list is the standard on most PCs(os independent) because it is the greatest common single solution. For most existing users it makes perfect sense. Now the Apple Dock is nice but (note I am talking about the people who do not like to learn) some people might have to take a moment to get used to a icon driven launcher/window list.

Some times Scale, Switcher, Vistathingy, Expose, alt-tab like, and window previews are the future, but not always.

I just wish a good team would try to tackle this issue and think outside the box rather then making X-like apps. Also I wish distros would consider these things for inclusion because we have seen that(as much as I love them) gnome is staying independent of a good number of things like Compositing.

So here is to the future. Replace the gnomepanel, window list, and notification area - good riddens.

http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/Qz7lH4-F6456y-whRQF8Ng137628/GW534H400

Make that.

kripkenstein
August 16th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I would like there to be a toggle like in xfce where I can make the list display icons only.

That is an excellent idea. Big, clear icons would make it faster to find the app you want (typically which app you want is more important than the particular document open in it).

synthaxx
August 16th, 2007, 12:58 PM
It's pretty good, but i think there are still some improvements left:

- CTRL + Click for multiple windows -- Hold down the CTRL to select multiple windows, right click to close, minimize, tile etc. those windows
- Sort by type -- sort the windows according to the process that spawned them, firefox windows next to each other, terminals etc. It already does this when you select "group windows" but then it puts them a further click away, and it's not obvious what windows there are at first glance.

notwen
August 16th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Hmm, window list you say??? Oh wait, I remember now, I use AWN instead. =p

igknighted
August 16th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Is there any way to set a max size for the windows listed there? I'll have two windows open and the buttons will be so big they take up the whole panel... WTF?!?! KDE, Windows, and any other taskbar-type setup I have used has a set size, and the only time they change size is when the panel gets too crowded so they shrink to fit. Does gnome allow you to implement this?

vexorian
August 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I love GNOME, but the Window List (the list of open windows that appears on the pane) is the only issue I have with it. I find myself wasting time searching for the window I want to click on in the window list; often I just to alt-tab which ends up being faster (but is more distracting).

Is it just me?
Use virtual workspaces, you should take advantage of them anyways, this way you can organize your windows in categories, taskbar buttons are much easier to find and this thing is true multi-tasking ...

So here is to the future. Replace the gnomepanel, window list, and notification area - good riddens.

http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/Qz...7628/GW534H400

Just so the world knows, I hate it.

jastonas
February 28th, 2009, 12:45 AM
http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/Qz7lH4-F6456y-whRQF8Ng137628/GW534H400

Make that.

Is that in the picture doable or just an image creation?