PDA

View Full Version : XP as virtual machine (no installation CD's)

Wittgenstein
August 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
I would like to run my windows partition as a virtual machine under Ubuntu. I have installed VM-ware server in Ubuntu and -Converter in XP. But I do not want two installations of XP, neither is it important for me to "save" the one installation og XP I have on the machine as I have not used and configurated it much. So I could just install XP from scratch in VM-ware server, but as my laptop is a ThinkPad R60 I don't have any installation CD's, the machine is set up with a XP-partition and a "recovery"-partition.

Someone told me to do like this:
http://oopsilon.com/Running-a-Windows-Partition-in-VMware
But this is to complicated for me...
Anyone?

Kralizec
August 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
Was your laptop bought used? Otherwise, if you bought it new then it should have come with some sort of software CDs; perhaps its just not named what you think? A lot of times the OS disk is named something like "[Company name] Operating System Reinstallation Disk".

Alternatively, if the laptop is relatively new and you purchased it from the manufacturer you might be able to contact them and have them send you a disk. I would think that you should be able to get it for free, considering half the price you're paying for a windows machine is for the software (which is why they normally provide you with the disks).

Beyond getting the XP disks this way (or illegally through torrents) I can't help you out, sorry.

machoo02
August 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
With thinkpads if you still have the default installation of xp (that came with the laptop) you hae the option of creating your own recovery cd's. It should be somewhere in the start menu (under Access IBM, or Rescue and Recovery).

Wittgenstein
August 3rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks machoo02. I'll try to find out. But are the recovery CD enough to make a full virtual installation in VM-ware?

UbuWu
August 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
I would like to run my windows partition as a virtual machine under Ubuntu.

The official documentation:
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws4/doc/disks_dualboot_ws.html

shafin
August 8th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Even if you have no recovery software installed,you can still make a CD from your XP installation with a software called BartPE:
www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

But you'll need your product key,use this software to recover it:
www.snapfiles.com/get/rockxp.html

Enjoy Ubuntu,the days of activation are finally over:)

Greensauce
August 8th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Beyond getting the XP disks this way (or illegally through torrents) I can't help you out, sorry.

If he has a valid CD key and just wanted a copy of XP he can't get in legal trouble for downloading it. The valid CD key is his proof of purchase.

When I went to school I have to format my HD and lost M$ Office but I didn't have my disks only the key. I downloaded the torrent and actually got "caught" by my school ISP I told them i have the key just not the disks and they apologized for the inconvenience :-D