PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on my Open-Source blog...

Puppy fam
August 1st, 2007, 01:21 AM
I've been working on creating a blog that features beginner-level information about Open-Source programs, and I'd love to hear your thoughts about what I've come up with.

First, my goal with this blog is to make Open-Source software more accessible to average users; I'm trying to answer questions that I had when I first started with these programs. I'm hoping to write articles introducing Open-Source programs and tutorials explaining the basics of Open-Source software.

So far, I've written three articles about Ubuntu:

Ubuntu Introduction (http://www.extraspecialpuppyclub.com/wordpress/2007/07/26/ubuntu-introduction/)

Ubuntu Explained (http://www.extraspecialpuppyclub.com/wordpress/2007/07/28/ubuntu-explained/)

Getting Started with Ubuntu (http://www.extraspecialpuppyclub.com/wordpress/2007/07/27/getting-started-with-ubuntu/)

If you have a minute (or thirty), please read through them: I'd really like to hear what you have to say.

A few other things you should know:

I will be moving the blog from that site to its own domain soon. If I find out from this thread that the blog isn't as good of an idea as I think it is, it's not to late to put a stop to it.
I'm hoping to support the blog with Google Adsense... It'd be great it if I was able to make this a part-time job too, but I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.
I'm hoping to add many other articles. Inkscape and GIMP are next on my list to cover.
The articles I linked to are not in their finished form. I have links and pictures to put in, but I'd rather not do too much with that until I get the blog on its own domain.
I'm a little concerned with the name. I love it, but I think it may be already in use (See here (http://blog.xing.com/) and here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=284392)), Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'd really like to hear what you have to say (either positive or negative). I'm hoping to make this a place that you can send your friends once you've got their interest piqued about Open-Source software, but if you don't think this is a good idea, please let me know. I'd rather not waste my time on a project that won't end up being of any use to anyone. :KS

Thank you!

aysiu
August 1st, 2007, 01:52 AM
I like Ubuntu Explained better than Ubuntu Introduction. Explained is more realistic. Introduction hypes up Ubuntu too much.

Puppy fam
August 2nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Aysiu, thanks for replying!

I did add a paragraph to the Ubuntu Introduction (http://www.extraspecialpuppyclub.com/wordpress/2007/07/26/ubuntu-introduction/) that discloses some of the major problems with Ubuntu.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate hearing them. It really would be nice to know if the the Ubuntu community is behind this blog... I would really hate to invest more time in creating this blog and no one ever use it. :(

FuturePilot
August 2nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
I really like the Ubuntu Explained section. It was very well written.

original_jamingrit
August 2nd, 2007, 05:01 PM
It looks good so far. I don't like whenever I see another fan boy telling people to use Ubuntu, or some article saying Ubuntu is the best Linux, but I like your more down to Earth approach. Good stuff.

smoker
August 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
good stuff, explains pretty good in a fashion new users should understand. i would throw in a few pics though to break up the text a bit.

one minor thing, on the getting started page, at the test-driving first para, i would maybe suggest making sure the cd-rom was the first boot device, some users may find their install cd won't load and not realise it is because their bios setup may have the hard drive as the first boot device.

all in all, pretty good, look forward to see how the blog progresses :-)

isaacj87
August 2nd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Hey,

I loved what I read...If I were a newcomer to Ubuntu or Linux you definitely would have piqued my interest, and I appreciated how you add your own colorful tone and comparisons here and there. It makes the reading experience seem more lively and interesting to read. I'd love to help you write articles for your blog, that is if you don't mind...:). The stie is appealing too. It has a fresh, clean look about it. Some screenshots and graphics here and there and you're golden.

Keep it up!

Puppy fam
August 2nd, 2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks everyone!

smoker: Thank you, I completely forgot about possible BIOS problems. Does anyone have a good guide to editing the BIOS? I'm embarrassed to admit I'm to too familiar with the BIOS.

isaacj87: Thanks for the offer. Once I get my feet on the ground with the final site I'll PM you. :-D

Please keep the opinions coming!

*Edit*

I think I figured out the BIOS thing (so sorry for my ignorance, I have never run into BIOS trouble).

Does this sound right:

If you run into trouble getting the LiveCD to boot, it's probably because your computer is set up to completely ignore the CD drive at start-up. This is easily fixed: turn off the computer, turn it back on, and repeatedly hit "F11" before you see anything on the screen. Ok, you should see a menu of different hardware now; just select (using arrow keys and enter) the option that looks like a CD drive. For example, mine reads "CD/DVD: 3M-Lite-on DVDRW LH-20A."

Puppy fam
August 2nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
Sorry to double post.

I did some research on editing the BIOS, and here's what I came up with:

It is possible that your computer is rude and completely ignores the CD. Thatís OK. All you have to do is tell the computer to check the CD drive before booting up your regular operating system. This is a kind of complicated process, so if you donít have a problem, just skip down two paragraphs.

You can tell your computer to check the CD drive by shutting down the computer, turning it back on, and hitting a key or combination of keys right away. Unfortunately, the key(s) you need to hit vary based on your computer. Some common ones are: F11, Del, Esc, Ctrl+Esc, Ctrl+Alt+Esc, and Ctrl+Alt+Del [Source: SysOpt.com]. Just try each one until one of them works (if one of the combinations doesnít work but the computer hangs up, you can just hit the power button and try another one).

OK, once you get a key to work (if you canít get any to work, try asking at the Ubuntu Forums), youíll see a rather old-looking menu. Use arrow keys and enter to navigate through the options. You need to get the computer to check the CD drive before booting to your hard drive; different computers will have different menus, so I canít help you too much. I know this is confusing, so if you run into trouble, please ask at the Ubuntu Forums.

Is that accurate? Thanks!