PDA

View Full Version : Surveillance systems question

charles.g.moore
July 30th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I am putting together a DVR surveillance system for a client and he asked for the minimum DSL speed he would need to get.

He will have a static IP and wants to be able to remotely monitor the cameras through the web.

The local telco company (XO Comm.) offers

144 up/down SDSL
384 up/down SDSL
768 up/down SDSL
1.1 up/down SDSL
1.5 up/down SDSL

They want upwards of 250.00 USD for the 1.5 package but only about 125.00 USD for the 144.

Will he be able to view the cameras in real time with little or no lag using the lowest speed?

We plan to have the DVR systems fitted with a Swann DVR-4 card and 2 cameras for each store. THe systems will be 2.4 P4 512 RAM 80GB HDD blah blah blah. running M$ XP :-(

Thank in advance
Chuck

Yaffle
July 30th, 2007, 11:36 PM
It depends on the resolution / framerate of the video and the quality of sound if any.

Pinnocchio
July 31st, 2007, 04:29 AM
I am putting together a DVR surveillance system for a client and he asked for the minimum DSL speed he would need to get.

He will have a static IP and wants to be able to remotely monitor the cameras through the web.

The local telco company (XO Comm.) offers

144 up/down SDSL
384 up/down SDSL
768 up/down SDSL
1.1 up/down SDSL
1.5 up/down SDSL

They want upwards of 250.00 USD for the 1.5 package but only about 125.00 USD for the 144.

Will he be able to view the cameras in real time with little or no lag using the lowest speed?

We plan to have the DVR systems fitted with a Swann DVR-4 card and 2 cameras for each store. THe systems will be 2.4 P4 512 RAM 80GB HDD blah blah blah. running M$ XP :-(

Thank in advance
Chuck

Charles

Sorry but why are you doing it that way?

You'll certainly need the 1.5 up/down for the bandwidth you're talking about but could I suggest using Axis IP based cameras together with Zoneminder on a Linux build (google it).

The IP cameras are uniquely customisable themselves to allow you to set the bandwidth they'll need (and frankly they're the dogs bo**ocks).

Type the following line exactly (do a cut and paste) into Google to see some Axis cameras live on the web.......some of them will possibly allow you to see the bandwidth settings.

inurl:indexFrame.shtml Axis

I only started playing with Zoneminder about 3 months ago and am pretty blown away by it's functionality.