PDA

View Full Version : does anyone care if thunderbird goes away?

mrbungle
July 30th, 2007, 10:21 PM
since news broke that Mozilla is looking to find a new home for Thunderbird so it can focus on Firefox. do you care if Thunderbird goes away?

i have been a loyal Thunderbird user for several years now and would hate to see anything happen to this program.

Dimitriid
July 30th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Not until it can be considered "outdated" and/or abandoned ( as in no more extensions being created/updated etc ).

That might be anywhere from a few weeks to several months.

Malh
July 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM
i probably would care if i could get it to work with yahoo business mail... the yahoo plugin interface doesnt work

Freddy
July 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I use Thunderbird and it's perfect just the way it is.

aos101
July 30th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Apparently it isn't going away anyway:

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2007/07/thunderbirds_no.html

I think it has too many users to just go away, and I don't think Mozilla want to see it go away. They are looking at how they can improve the Thunderbird project.

FuturePilot
July 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I do. I love Thunderbird.

Turboaaa2001
July 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I do! I love ThunderBird. Of course at the same time I really like FireFox and I want it to always be free. So if they have to dump something to keep it that way I'm for it.

The other thing is that I'm sure that someone somewere will pick-up the source code and keep it up. Plus it works fine and would last a long time withought support.

tbroderick
July 30th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Don't care. Mutt is better.

lisati
July 30th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I heard that the Mozilla team had taken over Eudora and were looking to make it open source.

arsenic23
July 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I actually really like Thunderbird. I don't use Firefox at all though.

KiwiNZ
July 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Thunderbird is a good client. It would be a shame to see it go.

I am sure all that coding wont go to waste , someone is bound to pick it up.

Kent84
July 30th, 2007, 11:28 PM
I love thunderbird for two reasons:

a) It is Mozilla, a company which I trust and love. This means that I can make config changes in the same way as I do in firefox using the flexible and familiar about:config interface.

b) It is cross platform. I switch between Windows, Ubuntu and OS X computers several times a day. It's nice to have a familiar email program between the platforms.

It would be very very sad to see Thunderbird wither away. Development work in making it a viable replacement for Outlook should see it go a long way further. One possible improvement is that, ipods/cell phones/palms usually only offer sync'ing to the outlook calender. If this could be done easily in thunderbird, a lot more people might be using it...

AbredPeytr
July 30th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Thunderbird can't go away. It saved my butt at work when Eudora bit the big one and couldn't get my emails after re-installing Eudora. I even, heaven forbid, tried Outlook *shudder*. Thunderbird installed and imported my old emails without a hitch.

Note to self, download and save the current version of Thunderbird.

walkerk
July 30th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Thunderbird is my preferred email client. Both on my linux machines and my wife's desktop.. I'll miss it.

Depressed Man
July 30th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I care if Thunderbird goes away. I use it in both Windows and Linux. Not to mention I like the Webmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo extensions.

Lord Illidan
July 30th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Yes, I care..It's my fav. email client, on both *nix and Windows..

Anthem
July 30th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I don't use clients any more (all Gmail all the time) but Thunderbird is a great app.

rich.bradshaw
July 30th, 2007, 11:43 PM
It's not going away, Mozilla are setting up new company to develop and extend it so they can focus on firefox.

rkrug
July 30th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I don't use it. I don't use email that much anyway.

smartboyathome
July 31st, 2007, 12:44 AM
I used to use Thunderbird (it was a fantastic app!) but then I got iGoogle, and set it as my homepage. Now Swiftweasel is my web portal.

pofigster
July 31st, 2007, 12:55 AM
Thunderbird's built in Bayesian algorithms were nice. Best e-mail client I've ever used. Never had a problem with it. Course, I only use it for "official" e-mail...

And that cross over is awesome.

cody50
July 31st, 2007, 01:27 AM
I dont use it, but I think it is good to have competition for Outlook so in that sense I would care if it went away.

forrestcupp
July 31st, 2007, 03:19 AM
When I found out about this, I switched everything over to Evolution, which was a pain. But the Evolution in Gutsy is a piece of crud. I can't even get it to compose an email without crashing. So I switched back to Thunderbird. So, yes, I do care if it goes away, unless Evolution will get it in gear.

aysiu
July 31st, 2007, 04:12 AM
Love Thunderbird. It's the simplest email client I can find. Sylpheed-Claws and Evolution are too complicated for me, especially to get junk mail filtering set up.

luckyd
July 31st, 2007, 04:18 AM
evolution work fine for me plus i dont like mozilla after what they did to debian, me comming to ubuntu from it.

misfitpierce
July 31st, 2007, 04:20 AM
Not really... I used to use it but fell in love with Evolution and its integrated which is fine for me.

aceofbase
July 31st, 2007, 09:40 AM
I definitely care if thunderbird goes away. It is the best pop/imap email client. I have tried Outlook Express, Outlook 2003 and Evolution and Thunderbird beats them hands down. The cross platform nature is nice. The single interface for all platforms is even better. Thunderbird does not crash for me (unlike Outlook Express. 1000 emails crashed it), is easy to use (sorry Evolution) and removes my spam for me (Outlook should be ashamed of themselves. NO SPAM FILTER). My only problem is that I could not get my college email through it (MS Exchange server designed for Outlook Web Access). I have converted my girlfriend and her mother to thunderbird. My gf's mother loves it after the mess that is MS Hotmail. The fact that Eudora is combining with Thunderbird is just saying that TB is as good and cheaper and will improve the code of thunderbird.

Where thunderbird has a problem is that many people communicate via social networking sites, use webmail for email and the webmail providers don't provide POP or IMAP. My ISP provides IMAP and it works brilliantly. If thunderbird could add webmail better or be a complete internet communication suite (VOIP, chat integration etc) then thunderbird will improve. Second point, please could linux distros use thunderbird as the default email client. The continued push for Evolution isn't helping TB at all.

Sorry if i waffled. I think i just wore out my two pennies.

John

forrestcupp
July 31st, 2007, 01:41 PM
Where thunderbird has a problem is that many people communicate via social networking sites, use webmail for email and the webmail providers don't provide POP or IMAP. My ISP provides IMAP and it works brilliantly. If thunderbird could add webmail better or be a complete internet communication suite (VOIP, chat integration etc) then thunderbird will improve.

Well, you could either use YPOPS for Yahoo, or another plugin for web based. Or you could encourage people to use Gmail which is web based, but you can also use it as POP for free.

DeadSuperHero
July 31st, 2007, 01:46 PM
I absolutely love Thunderbird. It works amazingly well with Gmail, it has a nice, customizable interface, with dozens of extensions. I only wish that I could integrate it with Ubuntu's system calendar instead of Evolutions. Heck, that'd be awesome.

aceofbase
July 31st, 2007, 02:12 PM
Well, you could either use YPOPS for Yahoo, or another plugin for web based. Or you could encourage people to use Gmail which is web based, but you can also use it as POP for free.

I agree Gmail is brill but the thunderbird webmail extensions are not pushed as much as they should. I just hope the development of thunderbird will continue as it is now as good or in some cases better than other clients and just hope the innovation starts.

aceofbase
July 31st, 2007, 02:13 PM
I absolutely love Thunderbird. It works amazingly well with Gmail, it has a nice, customizable interface, with dozens of extensions. I only wish that I could integrate it with Ubuntu's system calendar instead of Evolutions. Heck, that'd be awesome.

Sounds like an idea for an extension... Anyone any good at programming???

bobbocanfly
July 31st, 2007, 03:24 PM
I use thunderbird on all my Operating Systems and find it much better than any other mail client. Also works very easily with GMail.

handy
July 31st, 2007, 03:52 PM
I use my ISP's web based email, have done for years. I can delete anything that gets through the ISP's spam filter without even having to waste time & bandwidth downloading it.

Email clients are no longer a concern for me.

Espreon
July 31st, 2007, 03:56 PM
Yeah! I love Thunderbird and I have been using it since 2004! Also what is TB's fate?

jgrabham
July 31st, 2007, 04:13 PM
I use thunderbird on all my Operating Systems and find it much better than any other mail client. Also works very easily with GMail.

Especially on windoze - just puit in your Gmail user name and Password, no POP, smtp, or other things which I can just about use, but have no idea what they do or how they work:]

ashvala
July 31st, 2007, 05:42 PM
However I dont trust Thunderbird to like it...
I lothe thunderbird & i least care if it vanishes...
I still have apple mail