PDA

View Full Version : totem won't start

sjmorgan
July 22nd, 2005, 08:22 PM
When I attempt to run totem I get an almost Microsoft level of quality error dialog saying "Totem could not startup. No reason."

With this output to the command line:

** (totem:23482): WARNING **: No GConf default video sink key and xvimagesink doesn't work

mr_pouit
July 23rd, 2005, 11:35 AM
When I attempt to run totem I get an almost Microsoft level of quality error dialog saying "Totem could not startup. No reason."

With this output to the command line:

** (totem:23482): WARNING **: No GConf default video sink key and xvimagesink doesn't work
i have the same problem since the update. But it gives me a reason :lol:

Totem could not startup
The video output is in use by another application. Please close other video applications, or select another video output in the Multimedia Systems Selector.
... and i don't understand, because the video output isn't in use ](*,)

rwabel
July 23rd, 2005, 01:04 PM
I can start totem, but all videos get played jerked!

anyone else have such a problem?

psoleko
July 23rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
I can start totem, but all videos get played jerked!

anyone else have such a problem?

I am having the same issue since upgrading. It's definitely Totem as Xine works just fine with any video. I am using Totem Xine, I will try Totem GS and see if that has any issues as well.

Just tried Totem GS, not as much jerky playback (still evident in some video) but definitely some sound sync issues.

rwabel
July 23rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
I am having the same issue since upgrading. It's definitely Totem as Xine works just fine with any video. I am using Totem Xine, I will try Totem GS and see if that has any issues as well.

Just tried Totem GS, not as much jerky playback (still evident in some video) but definitely some sound sync issues.
I've always used Totem GS. I've tried out now Totem Xine, it does start up. But hell it takes a long while.
Mhh audio and video isn't sync

rwabel
July 25th, 2005, 12:44 AM
how strange...I just did a restart and totem runs perfectly and the videos open very fast!

charlieg
July 25th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Is that with totem-xine or totem-gstreamer?

rwabel
July 25th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Is that with totem-xine or totem-gstreamer?
with both of them, I've checked them both...no difference. Anyway, does someone see an advantage for one over the other?

psoleko
July 25th, 2005, 04:19 AM
with both of them, I've checked them both...no difference. Anyway, does someone see an advantage for one over the other?
Gstreamer is a much newer multimedia plugin framework and does not play all media that well. Gstreamer is definitely the future of multimedia on Linux, Xine is the debian grandpa of players. Although it's a bit long in the tooth it tends to play most media, and windows media at that with the win32codecs, very well. Depending on which version of Totem you are using it uses a different backend to play the video.

rwabel
July 25th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Gstreamer is a much newer multimedia plugin framework and does not play all media that well. Gstreamer is definitely the future of multimedia on Linux, Xine is the debian grandpa of players. Although it's a bit long in the tooth it tends to play most media, and windows media at that with the win32codecs, very well. Depending on which version of Totem you are using it uses a different backend to play the video.
thanks for the info, I just can choose between xine and gstreamer for the backend in totem. So far I haven't seen differences...but I should compare in "bad encoded" movies once

sjmorgan
July 25th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I should have mentioned it's totem-xine that I have the problem with. totem-gstreamer loads fine and plays stuff but isn't really an option because it has some nasty bugs like not being able to seek in large files and various crashers.

doclivingston
July 25th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Gstreamer tends not to do so well with badly encoded files - basically it doesn't have all the hacks in place to deal with the horrible things some people do to their files, in an attempt to save space. Most of the issues I've come across are where it loses A/V sync.

rwabel
July 25th, 2005, 03:20 PM
I should have mentioned it's totem-xine that I have the problem with. totem-gstreamer loads fine and plays stuff but isn't really an option because it has some nasty bugs like not being able to seek in large files and various crashers.
you also have the newest version from backport?

sjmorgan
July 25th, 2005, 05:04 PM
you also have the newest version from backport?Yeah. It's not a problem with totem-gstreamer itself, but rather GStreamer (at least the oldish version that comes with Hoary).

rwabel
July 25th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Yeah. It's not a problem with totem-gstreamer itself, but rather GStreamer (at least the oldish version that comes with Hoary).
I never had problems with it. You still have problems with totem-gtstreamer now?

sjmorgan
July 26th, 2005, 09:26 AM
I never had problems with it. You still have problems with totem-gtstreamer now?Mmhm.

jdong
July 26th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Are you using:

1.1.1 in stable

or

1.1.3 in staging

Can everyone try both options to see if they all exhibit this problem?

rwabel
July 26th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I used to have the 1.1.1 in the past and that one worked perfect, but 1.1.3 didn't work fine. After a reboot it worked quit fine. It's still not as fluid as gxine. with xine and gstreamer.

conclusion: totem 1.1.3 is a bit slower than 1.1.1, but it plays the videos