PDA

View Full Version : What does Edubuntu offer?

chatterjee
July 26th, 2007, 08:05 AM
I'm a high school science student.Is there anything in Edubuntu which can help us well enough that Ubuntu can't?If I install the needed softwares,won't it be like Edubuntu?Pls clarify...

chatterjee
August 12th, 2007, 07:49 AM
bump!

ashvala
August 12th, 2007, 08:29 AM
well.. I too am an high school student & I too live in India...
Edu Buntu is just a division of Ubuntu where they have the same old gnome desktop environment... Just a lot of educational packages... & all those old packages that are too complex have not been installed. Overall a good OS

fluteflute
August 13th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I'm a high school science student.Is there anything in Edubuntu which can help us well enough that Ubuntu can't?If I install the needed softwares,won't it be like Edubuntu?Pls clarify...
Yes. If you install Ubuntu and then install the software included in Edubuntu you will effectively end up with edubuntu. Edubuntu installs it all for you.

gnuman
August 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Hey there!

I'm a high school math teacher. I recently installed Edubuntu just to see what it had to offer. I prefer Ubuntu. Edubuntu installs a lot of games and programs for IMHO elementary students. It can be changed, of course, but why not just go with Ubuntu and add what you want?

I love going to the package manager after installing Ubuntu. Like being in a candy store, all those choices....

:rolleyes:

LaserJock
August 14th, 2007, 11:32 PM
If you aren't going to use LTSP and just want the educational apps then indeed installing Ubuntu and then installing the apps afterward is a good way to go. As of Feisty Edubuntu is producing a Classroom Server Addon CD. This CD works in Ubuntu as well and has most of the educational apps on it.

For Gutsy (the next Ubuntu release) I'm working on adding more "higher level" apps that might be useful for middle school or high schools students. I've also created metapackages (search for edubuntu-addon in gutsy) that should make it easier for people to install groups of educational software.

Since Edubuntu and Ubuntu come from the same repos it's pretty easy to just use one and "convert" it to what you want. That's one of the joys of using Ubuntu.

-LaserJock

P.S. If you do want to use LTSP, even at a business or non-educational setting, I'd look into using Edubuntu. You can remove the artwork and "kiddie" apps later. Edubuntu does automatic install and setup of LTSP, which is sweet.

chatterjee
August 15th, 2007, 07:18 AM
No I'm not going to use LTSP,I would like to use some softwares which will come handy in higher education(science stream of course).It's just that.Thank you for clarifying the matter.