PDA

View Full Version : My Grandma's a Linux user.

potrick
July 26th, 2007, 05:24 AM
...except she doesn't know what that means. All she knows is that her new computer is easier to use than her old one. All I had to do was set up dialup and make big icons for Gnome-ppp, Firefox and Evolution Mail. And now she never has to worry about viruses again, and no one has to maintain it.

Thank you Ubuntu community, for a great system and a fantastic forum to come to and learn. I haven't posted much but I've been a consistent lurker and this is one of the most effective online communities I know of.

Again, thank you.

Sayers
July 26th, 2007, 05:24 AM
If only my mom was open to change... :(

wersdaluv
July 26th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Cool grandma.

You might want to use accessiblity features for her.

FuturePilot
July 26th, 2007, 05:56 AM
I love stories like that. Just goes to show you don't need to be a geek to use Linux.

beefcurry
July 26th, 2007, 06:07 AM
no - fuss :)

hanzomon4
July 26th, 2007, 06:15 AM
My mom is a linux user....

lisati
July 26th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Sounds like you guys had better success than me. When I told my in-laws that I didn't use "that other system" on my laptop, the look on their face spoke volumes. They didn't seem to know what "that other system" is, even tho they use it on their computers.

DoctorMO
July 26th, 2007, 08:26 AM
My mum has always used linux; she's trying to convince her friends to use it too although it'd be better if someone over there was technical to sort out problem :-/ at the mo I ssh in to fix issues.

bromix
July 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM
So far, it's my mom, dad, and sister.. YAY! Maybe in a couple years when "their current OS" becomes obselete and requires yet MORE system upgrades.....they'll be more open to a more stable, cost-efficient Linux. :)

moffatt666
July 26th, 2007, 01:14 PM
My mum WANTS Ubuntu on her la[ptop but that will have to wait until her wireless card finally 'needs' to be upgraded. Her Belkin heap of junk is impossible to install under Ubuntu.

graabein
July 26th, 2007, 01:37 PM
My mum used to be a Linux user but lately she's found the boot time to be too long and she's lacking one of her favourite card games (in PySol (http://www.pysol.org/)l). I think it's one of the Spider style ones with two suites (?) (black and red) instead of four (hearts, diamonds etc).

She's using my dad's brand new laptop with XP now. The GNU/Linux machine is from pre 2000 and is running Xubuntu 6.10 pretty nicely. If I had time I could look into disabling services and BUM (http://www.marzocca.net/linux/bum.html) but I'm only home on holiday a few days a year these days so I don't bother spending them in front of the computer.

Point is she was quite open to the GNU/Linux OS and it worked fine for her needs.

jeffc313
July 26th, 2007, 02:57 PM
My brother uses my linux box no problem. He knows where to find firefox and how to play gnibbles and mupen64. My dad, however is far less tolerant. Whenever he can't figure out how to do something (ex. I CANT USE ADOBE READERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!11!1o!ne!enelven!) He threatens to replace my computer with a "normal one" even after I come in and save the day with evince.