PDA

View Full Version : Story of strange linux wierdness

tripmix
July 25th, 2007, 06:03 AM
I have a nice little setup running kde with beryl on my desktop screen and mythtv on my tv. Today I was watching a movie trailer on my desktop screen with kaffeine-xine and form lack of memory I guess it got real slow and almost froz when I skipped forward. So I hit ctrl-alt-f1 and typed "killall kaffeine" and ctrl-alt-f7. Srangely my desktop screen was black exept for the mouse that I could move but not click on anything including mythtv on the tv that was still fully visible. My keyboard also stopped working so ctrl-alt-f# was out of the question, however I have an IR remote for mythtv and that still works. It plays movies, music and everything works like it should exept there is no way to get focus.

Well, I have had stranger things happen to computers but I tought it was rather odd (and anoying) that it would only accept input from my remote. The keyboard is so dead it even refuses num-lock (no light).

I don't expect anyone to know what's going on here so I decided to post it here instead of suport. I guess I'll just have to learn from my mistakes and make sure I have SSH set up for the next time something odd like this happends.

DoctorMO
July 25th, 2007, 06:15 AM
huh, sounds like a mythtv problem; I can't stand that wretched program at the moment.so much bloat and not enough integration. But maybe it'll get better.

I know there are ways of trying to get X11 to do the right thing, but they mostly assume a working keyboad. hmm

tripmix
July 25th, 2007, 06:49 AM
I don't think it's myth. Looks more like a nvidia/beryl to me. I never had much problems with myth. What do you mean by to little intergation? I allways considered myth more of a frontend. What bugs me about myth is that it wont read media from diffrent folders so you are forced to use LVM if you have a large media archive, I don't feel comfortable whit LVM at all...

DoctorMO
July 25th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Resisting the urge to pull this thread off topic.

If Beryle or compiz was running then I'm guessing the video card went a bit weird since mythtv can use the layering effects on a 3D card to speed up and smooth out rendering.

we'll have to talk about mythtv in another thread.

tripmix
July 25th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I forgot I was in windows and pushed both mouse buttons at once, apparently in Opera that means back so what I typed got deleted, and I'm to tired to type it up again... Maybe later... Stupid wi&#%Ąz mumblemumble...